Newby.

Hi Im Flywheel. I just got my first Datsun pu. Its a 1971 521, its all stock. Green ,1600. Looks like crap. It did not run or most the lights did not work. I got it on Monday and I have it running and all the lights are working. stripped the bumpers and the rack in the bed. It has rust, only in the lower doors and tailgate. pass door is real bad. I mite have pics. I will try to post them.

Its going flat black and a lowering job, witch i have read some posts about this and I think I have it coverd. The truck came with a factory manual. Real cool stuff.

Datsun521022.jpg

Datsun521023.jpg

Datsun521021.jpg

Datsun521028.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from those pics, its looks good.... except for that tailgate.

Before you primer it why not try polishing? I bet you can polish that hood and see how nice the rest of the truck look. Then just drive with no tailgate installed for a while. Primer black on the inside of the bed. :D

Welcome to the forum!

Good score & welcome. Im with Bleach..use some rubbing compound & shine the green paint up. Looks like a NEW Weber...your fuel line is HUGE :D What is that cable [coat hanger] attached to the red thing? Overall a nice truck, easy to lower too. If you want to go more than 3 inches you can re-index the torsions [i did it, easy] :cool:

Yeah, keep the green... I don't think there's all that many folks that still have the original paint on their trucks, and even fewer with green. It's a nice colour. As for it looking like crap... I think you'd either have to try really hard or really neglect a 521 for it to actually look like crap. I think it's gorgeous. :D

How much did you pay for the truck? Any interior piccys?

And welcome.

Ya I like the green and it would buff out nice, but the rust in the pass door is real bad.(see pic)

Yap that was a coat hanger, used to open the hood. Hade a MRgasket fuze block. But it came with a new stock one with the cover.

It came with a new webber, alt, water pump, brake shoes,drums,wheel cyl and springs, frount engine gasket kit, timming chain.

Wiring is perfect. every thing works, even the am raido.(Im keeping it in).

All glass is grate. new tires on frount are new. Only thing in side messed up is driver side of bench, just a little. the dash has cracks and driver side door panal is not perfect. head liner is mint. Drove it last night, was real sweet.

What did I pay for it? Well I gess natta, zip, zero. Got in a trade. I got a mazda 323 for $200. traded it for a 74 harley sporty engine and a twin cam topend sold the topend for $500. and traded the engine for the truck. I got a grate deal. When I said it looked like shit I ment the rust and dirt, The truck its self, well what can i say, It my truck.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r57/Fly_wheel/Datsun521064.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r57/Fly_wheel/Datsun521051.jpg

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r57/Fly_wheel/Datsun521025.jpg

Hey! All those hooks look like they're in A-1 shape! This is a nice little truck.. I think (just my opinion) I'd just do a real nice stock resto on it! Yeah, that's it... Unfortunately.. My opinion doesn't seem to be in the majority.. How about a nice 70's resto rod! Yeah.. that would be cool! No? Oh for the love-ah.. I give up. :o

Hey! All those hooks look like they're in A-1 shape! This is a nice little truck.. I think (just my opinion) I'd just do a real nice stock resto on it! Yeah, that's it... Unfortunately.. My opinion doesn't seem to be in the majority.. How about a nice 70's resto rod! Yeah.. that would be cool! No? Oh for the love-ah.. I give up. :o

73 i agree with you here on his 521. The stock but lowered look would look nice with NO body mods. Yeah dont sweat the gate...check your local yards for a better one or as mentioned already cut & weld in a new piece.

keep it the way it is. You are doing the right thing in my opinion buy just fixing it up with functional parts like brakes, carb, etc. Your interior is in awsome shape. How are the floorboards in it? Glad to have another 521 owner on here, I am one as well and mine isnt quite stock:lol: