Possible??How??: Air Conditioner 620

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep +1 to that. Just remember, unless you know the truck has been working, figure on pricing out a reman ac compressor and a few other parts as you won't be able to pull the system, put it in, and have it work if it's been sitting in the wrecking yard, and likely not working anyway for many years. Then again it's Cali, I suppose people might fix ac. I removed it from the hardbody when doing the engine install. Already dead for who knows how long, big hole in the hose.

Yep +1 to that. Just remember, unless you know the truck has been working, figure on pricing out a reman ac compressor and a few other parts as you won't be able to pull the system, put it in, and have it work if it's been sitting in the wrecking yard, and likely not working anyway for many years. Then again it's Cali, I suppose people might fix ac. I removed it from the hardbody when doing the engine install. Already dead for who knows how long, big hole in the hose.

Ditto on the compressor. At a bare minimum every time you expose an AC system to air you should replace the dryer. AC systems are sensitive to leaks, dirt, moisture, and too much or too little oil. In very general terms what you need at a minimum from the junkyard are the evaporator core and blower along with underdash controls (may sorta be all one piece), and the engine compressor mount. The dryers are somewhat generic, and you need to buy new for that anyways (they must remain sealed right up until installed, put in and pull a vac), the expansion valve should be replaced also (or cleaned very well, the orifices tend to clog). The condensor is relatively generic too, you just need one that fits. Hoses, and seals at the connections should all be replaced as they will be for R12 anyways are not generally compatible with R134, chose the other components to have complimentary thread sizes if using generic equivalents or at least make sure end/to end for each connection is the same. Try to keep the stuff you replace the same approx. size so you will know how much oil and refrigerant you need. Autozone will rent the vacuum you need for free with deposit.

If you want to buy R12 get a 609 certificate, takes about $20, is 25 multiple choice questions and is done online.

ac_system.jpg

Thanks, I am actually in Hawaii. There are no Datsun's and hardly any junkyards. I may have to look at other models. Maybe a 200sx would fit fine? I am sure there are more available parts for me on this series rather than my own?

Thank you for all of your intellectual responses!

Aloha

It depends on the engine you are running. L-Series?? Pull the bracket off of the late model Datsun Maxima ('81-'84). That will allow you to bolt it to an L-motor with relative ease. If you have the smog pump still in place (because of smog requirements), then the hunting becomes trickier. You will want to find a car with L-Series and the smog pump bracket (Maxima, once again) After that, its a matter of getting the correct compressor to fit the bracket. Either remanufactured Maxima, or some other application that has the correct pulley and bolt configuration. Its all possible, just takes patience.

For the in-the-cab part, there are two ways to go. Earlier Datsuns used an add-on unit that hung under the dash - commonly called a knee knocker. These contain the evaporator unit, fan, and control switches. Just bolt the unit under the dash, run two AC hoses through the firewall to the under-hood components, hook up electrical wires, and you are done in the cab. You may find one of these units on eBay, or here in the parts section of Ratsun. I doubt they are available new anymore.

Later 620s had an AC option that was built into the dash, making it a lot cleaner looking, but may involve swapping the entire dash, or most of it, with an AC truck. I looked at a wiring diagram for '78, and it shows AC components, so there is probably a factory AC dash that will fit your truck, if you can find one. It may be somewhat combined with the heater. I've never been into one. I'm pretty sure there are vents through the dash for AC, but maybe these were standard on non-AC 620s by '78. If so, maybe all you need is the heater box part with AC bits in it. Here is a site with a download of the '78 factory manual: http://www.olddatsuns.com/620tech.htm#wd You can see if it includes a section on AC.

The original compressor for 620s was the York piston type, a big, heavy thing, although a good unit. I suspect a newer rotary compressor would be a better replacement, but I don't know enough to recommend which to look for. Possibly the bracket for one of these can be hacked to fit bolt holes in the L20 block, with some cut and weld. A rotary compressor and bracket from a non-Nissan may work just fine. Same with the condenser in front of the radiator. You just want something that will fit in the space.

Len

• 2 weeks later...