advice on those rusty datto bolts

i thought id share a lubricant that i found that works really good on rusty bolts. its made by CRC called "freeze off" and its available at schucks. its a penetrating lubricant that instantly freezes on contact to break the rust loose. i just decided to try it one day after doing everything else on a stuck bolt. now i use it on any bolt that looks like it might be a pain or ones that are prone to breaking because of rust. and anyone knows after working on a datto that there are lots of those.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i first tried the freeze-off, i had already tried liquid wrench and a few other types layin around the shop, i tried heating it, and using a breaker bar, etc.. and they didnt do s**t. what this stuff does different is it instantly freezes and expands the metal which breaks the rust loose. after i sprayed it, it broke loose easily with a normal ratchet.

when i first tried the freeze-off, i had already tried liquid wrench and a few other types layin around the shop, i tried heating it, and using a breaker bar, etc.. and they didnt do s**t. what this stuff does different is it instantly freezes and expands the metal which breaks the rust loose. after i sprayed it, it broke loose easily with a normal ratchet.

wouldnt freezing make the metal contract, rather than expand?

Why not do what I do. Keep turning till it breaks then go get a new one thats stainless or grade 8 depending on the use.:D

cuz i break to many drill bits that way :lol:

PB blaster hasnt failed me yet :thumbup:

if you take computer air duster and flip it over the spray is pretty cold.

I'm pretty partial to CRC "screw loose", the problem with pb blaster is the same problem with wd40, they don't penetrate the water well enough. I had a guy do a demo for me using a styrofoam cup full of water, he sprayed wd and pb blaster into it and they just floated on the surface, when he sprayed his product (proprietary to his company) it ate through the cup and the water ran out. Pretty cool, and it sold me on his stuff. Can't remember the name of it or his company now (we quit doing business with them) but the shit was good!

Wd sucks ass as far as I'm concerned.

WD will take the squeek out of a door hinge and thats about it. i am a big fan of aerokroil but man does it stink! on the datto, i do the "pull till it snaps...then replace" method on everything but the motor. it was actually kind of fun pulling the exhaust system off that way! LOL!

i use aircraft stuff called areocroil. man that stuff will un-seize anything. breaking it also works, specially if there is a clipnut on the other side. also from the state company is called yeild, it works great too, and some stuff called PEN, i got lots o differnt kinds

I'm pretty partial to CRC "screw loose", the problem with pb blaster is the same problem with wd40, they don't penetrate the water well enough. I had a guy do a demo for me using a styrofoam cup full of water, he sprayed wd and pb blaster into it and they just floated on the surface, when he sprayed his product (proprietary to his company) it ate through the cup and the water ran out. Pretty cool, and it sold me on his stuff. Can't remember the name of it or his company now (we quit doing business with them) but the shit was good!

Wd sucks ass as far as I'm concerned.

I saw the cup demo to, I dont remember the product either... I remember thinking if it would eat dirt... I have issues with things caked so damn hard in dirt I cant get at it