anbody installed their own windsheild seal????

jesusno2

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've installed windshields before, and usually they're pretty easy. The last one I did in a 510 was cake. Back windows are easy too. I did the one on my 71' 510 a year ago. Was a HUGE pain in the ass, which we believe was because of the aftermarket seal. We think the rubber was too thick for the gap between the glass and the body. Normally they're pretty easy using the rope trick.

Not as tough as you might think.

Read-up and use the rope like they tell you its not bad really.

:rolleyes:

doing it alone = worth $40

i (re)did mine 3X alone because the glass or the seal is the incorrect dimension.

was also the first time i had done a F windshield.

didnt crack till i was showing someone how it didnt fit well... :angry:

Usually there isn't too much of a problem, just be careful. I installed my new windshield, worked just fine. The key is to use a new rubber if you're installing a new windshield. And to get the old one out, just cut the rubber with a razor blade all the way around, then lift the windshield out. (Unless it's a newer rubber and you're replacing the windshield.) Then you have to be careful.

west coast metric makes a couple of tools that make the install go smoothly. just search them online for a dealer in your area. one is for fitting the seal to the glass,& the other is like the rope everyone mentioned,except that it has handle that slides so you can keep a bit of tension on the cord without it digging into your hands. make sure the cord is really soaked with the soapy water so it pulls out from behind the seal without tearing. having a friend to hold the glass in place,& put a little pressure from the outside,on the area you are pulling the cord through at would be a big help also. go slowly or the seal will either want to tear,or not seat correctly. it helps to lightly press the seal onto the metal frame right behind where you are pulling the cord though as well,so that the frame seats into the groove in the seal. good luck !