What to do? (Opinions needed!)

metalmonkey47

To keep it simple, I met a local Puerto Rican Datsun guy and ran by his shop to see his 210. Long story short, he's working on a turbo 3TC swap. It's already got a 5 lug Chevy rear on it.

Upon arriving, I saw an L20B and quickly offered him cash for it. He called his brother, and it's now been claimed by me for $150, although he also had a Z22 that came out of the 210.

Should I stick with the L20B, or should I go for the Z22? The L20B is in pieces clean and ready to be rebuilt and run.

It has a 210 head on it, which IIRC is a low power head that wasn't good for much power. What kind of power would I expect to see from a stock L20B with a 210 head?

Oics of said engine if you say please laugh.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

210 head is what came stock on an L16 motor. nothing fancy.

OICS!!!

mellow.gif Maybe it's an L16 and he didn't realize it? I looked for castings on the block, but didn't notice any indentifying marks. i was kind of in a rush though.

You can see in the second picture the 210 cast into the head.

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

Edited by metalmonkey47

DSC_0111.jpg

not an L20B bud.

thats an L16/18 front cover.

and the 210 is a stock L16 head so its prob an L16.

notice the two bolts between the where the fuel pump goes and where the water inlet goes

90.jpg

thats the taller L20B cover.

in your pic theres only one, thats the L16/18 cover.

What I meant is that the front cover that is on there now is to a L16 or L18. Doubt that's a L20

not an L20B bud.

thats an L16/18 front cover.

and the 210 is a stock L16 head so its prob an L16.

I see what you guys mean now huh.gif I thought it seemed odd that it had a 210 head on it.

Go with the Z22. There's no substitute for cubic centimeters.

Ain't that the truth.

I'm going to go make him an offer and see if he's willing to part with it. If not, I'll still put the L16 in there cool.gif

the front cover off the right in this pic is for an L20B

Hmmm.. suppose maybe an L16 cover got swapped on maybe assuming they are interchangeable? The block it's resting on is the Z22 IIRC. Wheres the identifying casting on the block?

Edited by metalmonkey47

The dude came into my store and i mentioned it and he swore up and down it's an L20B and it's cast into the block. Hell, he welcomed me back to take a look at it.

I think the Z22 Frankenstein motor would make me happier though.

Whats the best head combo for the Z22 for power? And with stock Z22 pistons and an L head (A87 is what I was told would make a good combo) what kind of compression ratio and power should I expect?

The dude came into my store and i mentioned it and he swore up and down it's an L20B and it's cast into the block. Hell, he welcomed me back to take a look at it.

I think the Z22 Frankenstein motor would make me happier though.

Whats the best head combo for the Z22 for power? And with stock Z22 pistons and an L head (A87 is what I was told would make a good combo) what kind of compression ratio and power should I expect?

i am doing an LZ22 using the U67 head, open chamber, closed chamber is too much compression!

DSC_0110.jpg

I know, thats the L16. ;) The Z22 is a different block that's not pictured.

i am doing an LZ22 using the U67 head, open chamber, closed chamber is too much compression!

What other cast heads would you recommend for a low compression ratio? I just plan on having it as a daily driver, but I want to make a little more power with it. Something to toy around with I suppose.

Ok fine, misread your post. The Z24 has its cast on the exhaust side directly under the middle 2 spark plug holes or between cylinders 2&3 at the top of the block. I would assume that the Z20 and Z22 are the same.

Ok fine, misread your post. The Z24 has its cast on the exhaust side directly under the middle 2 spark plug holes or between cylinders 2&3 at the top of the block. I would assume that the Z20 and Z22 are the same.

Thanks boss cool.gif The block has been stripped and sits in pieces, so I imaging finding the casting won't be difficult once we drag it out of the pile. Gotta check for sure though before giving him any money.