Craft beer people?

Cars are by far my biggest obsession in life but craft beers come in at a very close second. My two best friends in Redlands (owner of Charlie Jewls Bar) got me into the whole beer scene and I will forever thank them. One of those two Grant recently won a Home brew competition held by the Bruery in Orange. But back to the subject on hand right now I am into sour beers. Most people I run across that are average beer drinkers have never heard of a sour beer and every time I have the opertunoty to change that I do. If you have an adventurous taste I would recomend going to you local Total wine or whole foods and pick up a bottle of Russian River Consecration or Temptation. The are competitive cheap to other sours at $10-15 a 12.7 oz bottle compared to some of the other limited edition stuff that can run hundreds of dallors a bottle. Anyways if there are any other beer geeks out there we should get together and talk Datsuns and have a beer party where we each bring our favorite beer at that time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Redlands?

Hanger24? Orange wheat. I love that stuff.

You need to take a ride out to Lake Elsinore. We have a really small brew house.( Craft.) They have some good brew. I've never had a sour beer.

This is very Datsun! I am seeing if there is any interest to have a Datsun/beer meet. I am not a very big Hanger 24 fan. There stuff is kinda normal and nothing really exciting in t opinion. If you want something that BLOWES there orange wheat out of the water get Lost Coast tangerine wear. You can find that at BevMo and it's wayyy better. And you should defiantly try a sour. Jolly pumpkin has an amazing one and your always safe with a Russian River Temptation or Consicration. Drink one then report back. You may need to try a few to get past the initial shock of the sourness and you have to give it a chance. And its a beer you sip and you want to try it both cold and warm toget the full experience.

Hah that is farrrr from a beer snob or "beer geek" I have met some people that are WAAYYYY to serious about there beers. I went to this one beer event and there were this group of five or so people that all brought like really expensive beers and every time they opened one it was as if each and everyone of them climaxed lol. And I run into people that will taste a beer and call it the worst tasting thing in the and say how the make of it needs to die. Some stupid people out there

Back in the day I drank enough beer to float a battleship from Comox to Campbell River and half way back. Some I liked, some were ho hum. I drank mostly what I liked and put up with the others when offered. Never cared for those snooty wine drinkers going on about how they could detect traces of smoke 'nose' because there were forest fires in the mountains above the vineyard where it was made. My beer buddies weren't so discriminating. I have simple tastes and if someone should be so lucky to find something they like they should enjoy it.

paging the dat-side........

Did I hear beer?

I haven't had a chance to try a sour. I don't know if you've heard, but we have a decent amount of beer up here in Portland. I just did Zwickelmania this last weekend. If you like beer and are in the Portland area next year, DO IT!

Back to the sours. I'm game to try any and all beers, being that I'm in the NW, I love hoppy beers. But I've had some good Gruits too. Too bad you live away from Beervana, there's so much going on beer wise. Especially in July, where the mayor declared it Oregon Craft Beer Month. I can't wait.

MM I love me some great craft beer. There are several very good beer stores here in Portland and I spend too much time visiting them. If you like sour beers a very very good one is called Bam Bier by Jolly pumpkin brewery. It is more of a farm house ale but with the BRET it is light slightly fruity with a nice twang to it. Any beer from Jolly pumpkin is very good TBH but try the Bam Bier if you find it.

I love lambics! Very similar to a sour just much sweeter lol. My fav is a Lambic gueuze (non fruity Lambic) That Hef sounds amazing! Who sells it by you?

I get it from the owner, he also sells to some local restaurants. Bevmo here carries it, but maybe because it is a local beer. There is also Firestone here, which I'm sure most of you know. A customer of mine just opened Tap Brewery in San Luis Obispo and makes a great APA. He is the owner of Canidae dog foods, so he was able to afford the best equipment, which makes a noticeable difference to some small craft makers.

Coming from a state dubbed "The napa valley of beer" where "The beer flows like wine" (dumb and dumber) I can always grab a fresh craft pint anywhere i please and i take full advantage of it. We have so many bud light drinkers in this state and it really brings a tear to my eye. A good buddy of mine got me into it all when he started brewing in his 1 bed apartment. Every time i go over there, which is about twice a week, he always has something new. Most recent was "Pliny the Elder" which is one of the best beers I've ever had, up there with Dogfish Head's 60 Minute IPA.

Sour beers aren't really my thing along with anything with fruit in it. I usually stick to the "Grain, Yeast, Hops" tradition.

If any of you find yourself in Denver you have to visit the Falling Rock Tap House. They have over 75 taps and a pretty good selection of sours.

Edit: perfect way to reach my 1000th post.