I need a Dremel, whats good?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well Dremel is a name brand of a manufacturer of many rotary/oscillating tools. what are you trying to do?

Several different things like grinding etc I just want the tool that would be most versatile.

I just got a simple dremel tool brand rotary tool with a variable speed. (goes upto 12k rpm if I remember) I also bought the fancy kit that came with a bunch of things like a drill press.

That sounds like what I may be looking for, you got a link? You like it?

If you nave an air compressor, an air powered tool is much better.

When I do have access to an air compressor they have tools that I can use, I need this for when I am working on the car at the house.

I have the dremel 4000. it goes up to 35k rpm. I love it. Bought it on amazon and got it in 2 days, cheapest I could find it, it was also the biggest kit it came in.

Air tools? Awesome, unless you dont want to fire up the air compressor, or you are working inside your house, or well there a few things the dremel seems to be better at.

Both air die grinders and Dremel-type rotary tools are good to have. Each has their uses, and a dremel type can do the same work as a die grinder, it just takes longer. However, the smaller electric tool is easier to control on small items, and has numerous collets and bits to make it quite versatile. My dad had a pre-dremel type from the early '50's with a bunch of dental burrs that he used for gunsmithing.

i killed a 4000, they sometimes overheat and the magnets stick to the springs or something and the seize.. but i was cutting sheet metal for long periods of time on one of my old RX-2's

if you take your time, you can basically cut most things, but cutting wheels get expensive, but for everything else, (porting, polishing, small cuts de-burring etc its amazingly perfect) if you are buying that for a shop tool to cut allot of thick metal... i would forget it.. but it's still worth getting

Screw Dremel rotary tools, they gave up making good tools a long time ago. Buy a Proxxon if you want the same style tool in decent quality. Yes, they're more expensive than Dremel branded, but you get what you pay for. I own both of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-38481-Professional-Rotary-Tool/dp/B001FWXEO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298432237&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-38472-Precision-Rotary-Tool/dp/B0017PWTX8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298432237&sr=8-2

Otherwise, for a rotary tool, I'd look at an electric die grinder/straight shaft grinder. Air dir grinders use sooooo much air. The electric die grinder will pay for itself in the first month compared to all the electricity you'd be using to power a compressor for the air grinder.

For a regular angle grinder, I actually like the B&D G950 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-G950-2-Inch-Grinder/dp/B0002ZU75G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1298432613&sr=8-1

I know, I know, Black & Decker. A lot of their stuff is crap, but I've used a lot of different grinders (Makita, Bosch, etc) and have found this one to be better than most. It's a little more bulky, but I much prefer the trigger and trigger lock over any of the other brands I've used, and I've never had a problem with it.

• Like 1