TURN SIGNALS!

BayAreaDimer

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember right I needed my emegency falsh swithc installed to make my turn signals work.

When in the off position there is just a feed thru the swithc to continue on.

so waht i did it scam another one from my other car. then it worked. so I thne figured out which connections had a short and used jumper wires to complete that circut in the other car.

make sure you have BOTH(yes there should be 2 cans under console) flasher Cans installed. if both are there try swapping them.

If the emergency flashers are not working, forget about the turn signals, they only get power if the emergency works. You will probably need a multimeter. Need to check power before and after the switch. Also check to make sure the relay is functioning. Do you here a click when you try the signals? Finally, or maybe before all of this, check your fuses!

Along the same lines my turn signals blink really slow and sometimes not at all. Have not dealt with it yet but I figured corrosion. May sound a little absurd but I did'nt know my 1971 pl510 had 4-way flashers Where is the switch,under dash?

• Like 1

Along the same lines my turn signals blink really slow and sometimes not at all. Have not dealt with it yet but I figured corrosion. May sound a little absurd but I did'nt know my 1971 pl510 had 4-way flashers Where is the switch,under dash?

Mine is a knob on the left side of the steering column. Pull it out. It is closer to you than the ignition is.

Read this page, it will help you all to understand electrical circuits, and how to test them.

http://www.vernco.com/Sparks/id606.htm

What test equipment do you have? A volt meter is really nice to have, but you can also do a lot of testing With a test light.

First step, is to check the fuses. You can look at them, and they might look good, but be bad. Here is how to really check the fuses. Take your meter, or test light, and attach one lead to ground. If you are working in the engine compartment, the engine block, or cylinder head is ground. The negative battery post is ground.

Now, touch the other wire of the meter, or probe of the test light to the positive battery terminal. You should see around 12 volts, or the test light should light up.

Some of the fuses in the fuse box get power all the time. Other fuses get power only when the key is switched on. The fuse for the 4-way (emergency) flashers always gets power, the fuse for the turn signals only gets power when the key is on.

If one end of the fuse has power, the other end of the fuse should have power. You will need to turn the key on to check all the fuses. After checking the fuses, turn the key back off.

This is how the power gets to the 4-way lights. It starts at the battery, positive post. It then goes to the fuse box, After the fuse box, the power then goes to the 4-way (emergency) flasher. After the flasher, the power goes to the 4-way switch. After the 4-way switch, there are two wires that go to the right and left side of the car, and then go to the front and rear turn signal lamps on each side of the car. After the lamps, the power is routed back to the metal body of the car and then the body of the car is connected back to the engine block, and then goes back to the negative post on the battery.

Do not worry about the turn signals until you get the 4-way flashers working.

Get a test light, go under the dashboard of your car, and check for power at the flasher. You should have two flashers.

Here is a picture of the two flashers under the dash of my 1970 521.

Flashers.jpg

The gold colored one is for the 4-way flashers. The silver one is for the turn signals. Your flashers are almost guaranteed to be a different color than mine.

With the 4-way flasher switch off, you should have power on both terminals of the 4-way flasher. Check that with a test light. Check for power with the key off.

I know you want to get the turn signals working. But getting the 4-way flashers working is easier. If the four way flashers work, it isolates problems with the turn signals to just stuff under the dash, and possibly the fuse box, or connectors between the two. If your lights do not flash with the 4-way, they almost always will not flash with the turn signal.