Miller welders

izzo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit...

The outlet outside my house i think is 220v, on a 50 amp fuse. been using a lincoln AC stick welder. The welder i was looking at is 110v. cant afford a welder and new wiring for it, might have to check and see about the 180HD

That is either due to someone wanting to put air conditioning in, or due to someone thinking of making an RV hook up to there house.

If you have Airconditioning you can probably tap into that for 220V, providing its not running at the same time.

That is either due to someone wanting to put air conditioning in, or due to someone thinking of making an RV hook up to there house.

If you have Airconditioning you can probably tap into that for 220V, providing its not running at the same time.

No,

we paid an electrician to come out here and wire in a 220V plugin with its own breaker to outside for the lincoln stick welder.

Can i run the 110 140hd on a 220v plugin? Does it just take the power it requires or will it just eat the 220V and fry?

DO NOT PLUG IN 110V INTO 220V!!!!

Just run a very heavy gauge extension cord.

Wat? Why not? I was going to put some gas on it first... ollz you got trolled

But i was serious about the plugin, guess ill go explore some options. The house here is funky as fuck, so just running a giant extension chord is out of the question or will be costly. I am going to check into the 220v 180HD

Ive been using same exact setup as -blue72- Except mine is a earlier 120 not a 125..since 1989, built 2 FULLSIZE street stock cars 1 bump to pass car and 3 demo derby cars plus mega other projects..It runs on 110 volt i can EASILY run it on a 50 foot extension cord ( but not a tiny g string one although it would if needed ) if you got a 220 stick then you dont need a 220 mig ,hell you don`t really need a 220 mig really anyway . I have a couple of friends that bought Millers from home depot and they seem to be happy as hell with them..Also if you can afford it, try to buy a model that has the gas hook up,,then when you get rich again you could purchase a gas bottle setup for it (way smoother welds )

Anyway i type so slow someone might have already said all this but .....there ya go

Rustina the plug you show is a 220 plug

Well trolled I am, but at least now some newb wont read this and think its ok.

I was looking around at plugins and shit for this right... some people didn't want to wire in a double pole breaker, they would rather just wire in two 110V plugins OLLZ.... Let the house fires begin.

I was looking around at plugins and shit for this right... some people didn't want to wire in a double pole breaker, they would rather just wire in two 110V plugins OLLZ.... Let the house fires begin.

Well technically if you look at a 220v plug and where the wires run you will run it to the breaker box and see the double throw breaker. Which really means that it is just 2 110v, der, but they just connect the "negatives" together. Providing it is on 2 separate circuits, and all connections are secure I would be okay with running a 220v off of 2 110v plugs. Just make sure they have the same amperage breaker. The only thing I am not sure of is whether the phases in the 2 lines will be the same or opposite... Obviously I know enough to get me in trouble :blink:

I have never done this, I cannot advise it either.

These are the cords i use, the 100 ft black one is one i TRY to use, but 50 ft yellow one is the one i predominantly use and it works just fine ,. If welder blows breakers ,,open up breaker box and try to locate highest amperage breaker than figure out which outlet it gos to.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ.jpg

i recently got a brand new miller-matic 140 and F'n love the auto set feature.

the shop i bought it from (Airgas) said the the lincoln's were esentially cheaper versions of the miller, and the price vs features is not really a big difference. they said it was more about the build quality and parts used. millers are like 80's japanese cars and lincolns are 80's american cars.

i went with the miller for 2 reasons:

dad had one, and most every miller ive used has been mostly trouble free. cannot say the same for lincoln or any other brand.

miller 140 and up offer more features at a lower price point and upgradability then the lincoln. the spool gun miller offers is awsome, weld aluminum and stainless with it.

pretty much the whole dvd is on their website or youtube.

Sweet, think you can come and weld in my floors?

Hmmm. I cant help but think that with a 15 hour drive each way, plus room and board that it'd be cheaper if you just bought the $350 welder instead. If it weren't for that, I might consider it.

Picking up a 125HD tomorrow. Been welding enough to know that will do me plenty for body work and then some. Got a stick welder for the super thick shit. Took 6 months of welding classes with 6010 at 8 hours a day for anything more than body work.

God a ? tho. I got some .035 wire, and some .030 wire flux core. what would you guys recommend for body work with no MIG, outside and inside welding...

I put together my KC with .030 fluxcore and a cheap harbor freight mig welder(220), my latest KC I used .023 solid with a millermatic passport plus(110-220), gas was nice, but went threw a lot of gas, so I switched to .030 fluxcore, worked just as good, was not as pretty, but it penetrated better. Purchase the best mig you can afford, get a dual voltage if possible. My neighbor welds for a living, he uses a mig for everything(early passport plus), I have not seen him stick weld in years. wayno

Guest DatsuNoob

Izzo, dont buy the one from Home Depot! Check out Lowe's first. Home Depot had a line of welders manufactured for the store branding. I havent heard good things about them dude. Not trying to be a hater or anything, I just dont want you to be diasappointed

Izzo, dont buy the one from Home Depot! Check out Lowe's first. Home Depot had a line of welders manufactured for the store branding. I havent heard good things about them dude. Not trying to be a hater or anything, I just dont want you to be diasappointed

Theres no Lowes around here man :( To late, already bought it :D Its still in the box, but i did do a lot of searching and reading before picking it up. Its not as cool as a high end one, but itll still work all the same. I dont plan on building a sky scraper, just some home projects. IE, no more paying someone for exhaust work, do my own bodywork/shaving etc...