Miller welders

izzo

Anyone running a millermatic 180? Its the newer kind you dont need a pedal for. Have an opportunity to trade my quad for it and some $ or items.

Anyways, I did 6 months of stick welding and oxy welding, haven't touched a wire feed yet. This will do MIG and flux core, just wondering if anyone on here has opinions on it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is it 110v or 220v??

ive had good luck with millers,but is it worth the $1300 you are tryin to get out of the quad???

edit: i just found the price and that its 220v. you got a 220v plug in?? keep in mind if you are using it outside, the slightest breeze will blow your gas away and the welds will be shitty as hell

is it 110v or 220v??

ive had good luck with millers,but is it worth the $1300 you are tryin to get out of the quad???

Millermatic 180, 220v, does up to 5/16 flux core single pass.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00209

No, its not worth just a straight trade. I am working it out so the deal will be straight across (some more items, or some $$). I can't take a hit on it otherwise the wife would explode...

it should be a 220v. welder. I have a Licoln 180 and love it, it does everything I need other than I still want a tig.

I would do a price check tho, cause I know my Lincoln is like 750.00 or so. maybe if it comes with wire stand and a bottle it would be around 1300 but it depends on how old. but you might be able to find a better deal

it should be a 220v. welder. I have a Licoln 180 and love it, it does everything I need other than I still want a tig.

I would do a price check tho, cause I know my Lincoln is like 750.00 or so. maybe if it comes with wire stand and a bottle it would be around 1300 but it depends on how old. but you might be able to find a better deal

Yeah, im not trading straight across tho. He is adding to it, that is just part of the deal. I checked around, its about 1000 for the machine. He doesn't have the manual or dvd anymore, but comes with chord, and lead wires, some flux wire etc. Looked in OK condition.

Mainly just trying to find out how good they are. I won't do any trading of any sorts anymore unless its a fair deal for both parties, i have done lost to much $ in low sales or poor trades, and its a touchy subject in this house :rofl:

Does it have a bottle? If so does the dude own it or rent it? What kinda gas?

I've heard that auto set feature is pretty slick. For a fairly low power welder I'm sure it works great. If he's got a bottle of say 75/25 you can use hardwire and a dual sheild flux core wire. If he has a co2 bottle you can run flux core really well, but hardwire not so much. Works ok for low settings for sheetmetal n stuff.

pretty much the way I look at it is if its blue or red its good. I run red and home and I weld everyday with blue and red at work in commercial settings.

in my lincoln 180 I run .035 hard wire with 75/25 mixed gas and I'm very happy with that set up

Can you get $1300. for the quad? The reason I ask is that I bought a new passport plus for just over $1500. and the thing is awesome, it makes me(rookie) look good, and I do a lot of sheet metal. But I did my first kingcab with a harbor frieght tools mig, cheap and it lasted for years. I still have it, but it needs a trigger. wayno

I put it up for sale for 1300 and have had a lot of hits on it, i haven't actually been able to get out there to show it. its 1 1/2 hours from me :\ I am supposed to show it this sunday. Guy seems really interested, so well see.

If it sells ill be getting a lincoln or miller.

just my .02 but small machines like these are found on craigslist almost weekly here in sacramento from 650-850 in excellent used condition..If it were me id get the cash from the quad and buy a miller diversion 165 or 185 TIG.Tig is far superior when doing sheet metal work.

on the flip side I have used the miller 180 in the past and its a very user friendly machine.Fun to weld with and are a good General purpose machine.

i only run hardwire, fluxcore just welds too shitty. sounds like a good deal, its not a dvi is it?

That why my friend ya don't use "gasless fluxcore" the only reason for using that junk is if your outside on a windy day, trying to cobble some fuckin boat trailer fender back on, or you have a underpowered machine and you need as much penetration as you possibly can get from a 110v machine.

Guest DatsuNoob

A 180 is gonna weld for most ANY Datsun project JUST fine! I have a 140 and built my whole truck with it. When doing sheet metal flux core is just fine too. You just want a real hot tack to lay flat and dig in, and flux core will do just that. So much debate on small machines. How thick is Datsun steel anyway? :rolleyes:

A 180 is gonna weld for most ANY Datsun project JUST fine! I have a 140 and built my whole truck with it. When doing sheet metal flux core is just fine too. You just want a real hot tack to lay flat and dig in, and flux core will do just that. So much debate on small machines. How thick is Datsun steel anyway? :rolleyes:

i think you hit right on the head

any of you guys have a welder that plugs into a regular home electrical outlet?

almost all welders do, wat u need is a 110v welder since im figuring u have a gas dryer and dont have the big oversized 3 prong in ur garage? if u do then u just opened ur possibilities up alot

do u have this outlet?

mopp_0712_17_z+using_a_lincoln_electric_welder_at_home+220_volt_plug.jpg

or one like this

220vOutlet.jpg

any of you guys have a welder that plugs into a regular home electrical outlet?

Yep, I've got a 115V Hobart Handler 125 machine that I do all my light to medium welding with. Works great for what I do. I've also got the gas regulator kit installed and use .023 wire with 75/25 gas mix. I just have to make sure that if I'm welding something out in the driveway, that I've got a nice thick extension cord. If the wiring in the extension cord is small gauge then it doesn't weld so well.

Yep, I've got a 115V Hobart Handler 125 machine that I do all my light to medium welding with. Works great for what I do. I've also got the gas regulator kit installed and use .023 wire with 75/25 gas mix. I just have to make sure that if I'm welding something out in the driveway, that I've got a nice thick extension cord. If the wiring in the extension cord is small gauge then it doesn't weld so well.

Sweet, think you can come and weld in my floors?