How Do You Remove Cam?

Zeusimo

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super%20Sawzall%206538-21_FR.jpg

I remove the cam towers, EVENLY. If you dont do it evenly, then it binds up and is a pita, same with installing it. Helps if you have spring compressors for the valve springs. Install is the same method, even across. But be careful, the cam tower bolts IIRC only need like 13lbs of torque, to much n you snap it.

Im sure someone else will chime in with another way, maybe pull from the front? But i think that would just get the lobes caught up on stuff

• Like 1

This isn't something you want to try without using the repair manual. Because once you drop the timing chain, you're in for a major tear-down. Get a Haynes manual, they are often on eBay relatively cheap.

EDIT

OK, you probably already dropped the chain at this point. So, you need to take the retainer plate off #1 tower, then the cam slides out the front. If the head is warped it won't come out easy.

yes, that's the plate. Technically Nissan says you should never remove the cam towers and if you do head replacement is necessary. But we all now that is bs, in a 510 the cam will pull straight out, in my 521 the core support is in the way, so I used izzo's special service tool to take out the offending chunk of metal, and now I can go in and out relatively easy with cams

edit: you do have the rockers out of the way right?

Turn the cam so the lobe is up and slide a large screw driver or bar under the cam and use it to pry down on the valve spring. With the valve down there is enough slack for the rocker to be lifted out to the side. Yes keep all rockers in order so they go back in in the same place. Not the end of the world if not, but try. Avoid removing the cam towers if at all possible, place jack under oil pan and remove the motor mount to block bolts and lift motor for clearance.

• Like 1

Turn the cam so the lobe is up and slide a large screw driver or bar under the cam and use it to pry down on the valve spring. With the valve down there is enough slack for the rocker to be lifted out to the side. Yes keep all rockers in order so they go back in in the same place. Not the end of the world if not, but try. Avoid removing the cam towers if at all possible, place jack under oil pan and remove the motor mount to block bolts and lift motor for clearance.

+1 ,,, I might add ,,, don't pry against the lobe itself ( I get paranoid ) ,,, pry off to the side of the "rough" casting area ,,, not the smooth area where it travels ,,,