zx arms on a 510

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rear arms? must have coilovers, and a way to adjust camber and toe. it also moves the arms out about 1.5 inches

What he said, plus it moves the strut mount up a few inches so you will lose some suspension travel. I can't go as low now as I did with stock 510 arms :( need to find a way to get it back I'm not low enough in the rear.

What he said, plus it moves the strut mount up a few inches so you will lose some suspension travel. I can't go as low now as I did with stock 510 arms :( need to find a way to get it back I'm not low enough in the rear.

Freekwonder, why did you put the zx arms on your car and is it a bolt on without modifying the attachment points?

Main reasons why, ZX arms already have Disc brakes, and for the life of me I couldn't find any 510 arms in my area and I needed new arms.

Would I do it again? Probably not, I haven't seen any real advantage so far getting them, but I haven't driven with them. They bolt right in but like somebody else said, need to be able to adjust toe and camber, so you will need to do the Penultimate modification, it will push the wheels out about 1.5-2", you will have to run coil overs, and the bottom strut mount is two inches higher than a standard 510 arm, so you will loose 2 inches of travel.

I think the only way it would be really worth it is swapping over a R200 and CVs, doing a r180 and stubs, it really isn't worth it.

If your going to go through the trouble of swaping over from a straight axle. Do somthing better then. Trailing arm. A four linked wagon shoud out handle. Trailing arm set up.

The main reason, for me, to do irs is the adjustability, less unsprung weight, and greatly diminished bump steer. With the live axel, if I hit a bump, say with my right wheel, it affects the left wheel also because they are connected via the axel tube and both wheels have lost traction, not just one like with the irs. Bump steer can be fun if you can predict it happening. But if not, it can be dangerous. With irs you have negative camber too, something you want when cornering hard. With a straight axel, there is no possibility unless you bend your axels up a certain degree (your discretion depending on what your trying to achieve) to get that camber. Uh, no thanks. Your bearings would wear out. Its not made to do that. And leaf springs, knowing they work well and have been around since the 1800's, coil springs are lighter and easier to change without going to the spring shop to get some new ones made ( been there and done that) or receiving advise from whoever about what truck or roadster spring to use because it worked for them. Get a wagon some time and lower it, stiffen it up, then decide. Irs is way smoother and handles better on the road than a solid axel. Try it. You might like it. I did for the past 13 years, now it is time to do something less bouncy that holds to the road without steering the rear end when I don't want it to steer.

Of course everything is debatable about what is best for you or for anyone, but for me, irs is what i want in my goon.

i know a lot of people like to keep things datsun or at least nissan, but why would you not go jaguar or corvette? (have not tried either, just heard thats what hot rodders run)

i have heard a lot of good things about 510 suspension in racing and hard street driving... but there may be better, and since you would already be going into that trouble, you may as well cut a 240sx up and throw it under your breadwagon

ha.... your just sour cause you have missed all the best beavtown meets.... but you probably right, hot rods are meant to go straight

The best are long gone. Passed by rr the other night. Was like yup I'll be back to freeze my ass off

i know a lot of people like to keep things datsun or at least nissan, but why would you not go jaguar or corvette? (have not tried either, just heard thats what hot rodders run)

i have heard a lot of good things about 510 suspension in racing and hard street driving... but there may be better, and since you would already be going into that trouble, you may as well cut a 240sx up and throw it under your breadwagon

Jag or vette, good options. A little extra caching $ though. I have often thought about building an irs from scratch. Could still do it. I may even do a 240z as opposed to the sx setup. Get more travel with the z than the sx according to the fella down under that sxed his wagon. But the reality side is 510 stuff is a "dime a dozen" and easy to fit and mod. It goes good with milk and if I line my eggs up just right, I will have more bread left over for my belly from the bread money left over from the breadwagon. Gotta go for now, gotta make like a bread truck and haul buns.