I want to go to Australia

HRH

So off a whim today I started checking out places to go for my vacation this year. While I don't have nearly enough saved up for the $1000 plane fair to Australia and back at current, it got me to thinking about trips in general and what to expect. That said, for those members in Australia, the seasons are basically 180 degrees from what we have here in the northern hemisphere, correct?

If you were coming from the US, where would you suggest going on a trip to Australia? I already checked wikipedia and found the Australian Rally Championship schedule, (albeit for 2010) which is as follows:

Round Rally Location Date

1Rally Tasmania Burnie, Tasmania 26-28 February

2Quit Forest Rally Busselton, Western Aust. 16-18 April

3Coffs Coast Rally Coffs Harbour, New South Wales 15-16 May

4Scouts Rally SA Mount Pleasant, South Aust. 26-27 June

5International Rally Imbil, Queensland 31 July - 1 August

6Rally Victoria Drouin, Victoria 13-14 November

Which of these months would be a good time to visit, like not in the dead of winter? I have no idea if our hot August is like your hot April or what have you? Typically April here is spring, and late September starts fall.

I figured if I'm going to plan a trip, I might as well get a professional rally in there as well. :) Of course, I'd also like to do the tourist thing and check out some nice natural wonders, kind of like Cannon Beach in Oregon here. And I've never seen a Kangaroo in person or any number of other neat animals you have down there. I tend to gravitate towards natural features and not necessarily zoos, but nature preserves or just open area you can enjoy new sights and sounds and smells.

Also, what's Tasmania like? I noticed it's like 150 miles south from the Australia mainland. Are there any cities that are Datsun meccas? I know I bought parts from Datsport in Lonsdale, South Australia. Anyway, just curious.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take this one :)

So off a whim today I started checking out places to go for my vacation this year. While I don't have nearly enough saved up for the $1000 plane fair to Australia and back at current, it got me to thinking about trips in general and what to expect. That said, for those members in Australia, the seasons are basically 180 degrees from what we have here in the northern hemisphere, correct?

Our seasons are:

Dec - Feb = Summer

Mar - May = Autumn (Fall)

Jun - Aug = Winter

Sept - Nov = Spring

If you were coming from the US, where would you suggest going on a trip to Australia?

Like the US there are tons of things to see and do. You should've watched Oprah. She just did a few shows on her Aussie visit.

Which of these months would be a good time to visit, like not in the dead of winter? I have no idea if our hot August is like your hot April or what have you? Typically April here is spring, and late September starts fall.

Spring is great. Not too hot, not too cold.

Of course, I'd also like to do the tourist thing and check out some nice natural wonders, kind of like Cannon Beach in Oregon here. And I've never seen a Kangaroo in person or any number of other neat animals you have down there. I tend to gravitate towards natural features and not necessarily zoos, but nature preserves or just open area you can enjoy new sights and sounds and smells.

Lots of nature around. The Blue Mountains, Great Barrier reef. Tasmania (though I've never been) also has a lot of the nature stuff. It also has Targa Tasmania which it looks like is the 20th Anniversary this year (http://targa.org.au/Tasmania/eventdates.html).

When you arrive, hit up one of the Aussie Datsun forums (Ozdat or Datnet) and let us know. Someone will be happy to show you around. Also as mantioned before in Easter we are holding our Datsun Nationals.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

HRH

I been there 3 times!!!!!!

I love it. I love the Hot Aussie women. Never seen so many Big Breasted women all in one place.

I been to Coolengetta,Surfers Paradise,Brisbane-Sydney-Adelaide, Tasmania also.

Tasmania is really on the slow side. Bets to meet locals.

I was in to night clubbng and hitting the bars, New Years is good but you got to dress up. NO Jeans and Tshirt!

Other wise pretty causual.

Its hard to say where you want to go cause its far between the cities so best have a plan.

I myself liked Queensland.Brisabane surfers paradise,Coolengetta, the Blue Mountains Green and tropical (was December)

Adelaid is Dry and Brown.been the the auto museum on Mt pleasnat. I met a Aussie in Seattle and he said Adelaide was a shit hole. I told him I had a Datsun 510 .He said ,They Bullet Proff Mate

Sydney is Nice

But I hear Adelaide has the highest concentration of Datsuns and is a big Wine growing region and home of Datsport and Maddat.

Nice people ,its clean lots of Hot chicks. Food is good.

If I had to move it would be there. or NewZealand but both have a higher tax rate.

New Zealand has lots of hunting oppertunity(wildPigs and deer, fishing. just very rural

Nice! This is definitely going to be a vacation priority. I haven't been out of the country since going to Canada about 10 years back or so. It's getting to be time.

Hainz, you go there for work, or for pleasure?

Pleasure!!!!!!!!

I would go back again but I have a Cat with Pluming issues.

The flight is out of LA which isabout 14 hrs not counting layover. then if you want to go up north or south its about another hr flight or 2. So Youll be dead ass tired.

If I was more computer savy back then I would have hooked up with some Datsun people.or got on Yahoo personals and hooked up with a Aussie chick and stayed there!Thats a idea.

But Remeber Ratsun memebers are different. Datsun guys will ahve alot of 510 realm type oweners. They spend their money on their cars. Then youll see a stock one driving around.They love there Datsun and Rotarys.

There are a few good magazine to get also there. Fast 4s and Rotary's and another Cant think of it. always 510/1600s as they say.

Its Nice. You got to hook up with some young guys to show you around and try to meet some women!

I fuckn love it there.

If close to a city to see lots of people, then drive no far and your out in the country!

Watch for Spiders

If I known Datsport was in Adelaide I would have gotton some hard to get parts I would box them up and shipp them home.

all I brought back was 100%cotton made in Aussie T shirts that shrank to xtra small when I got home, also got some Kangaroo Ball sacks. gave them as gifts. Theysell them as Tobacco puaches

depends what you'd like to do, if you want to hit the town id look at sydney or melbourne, queensland wouldve been a better bet (surfers paradise, gold coast and all) but its been hit fair severe by floods and now a bloody 500km wide cyclone up north so id guess they'll be putting things back together for some time yet

state wise they differ a little;

adelaide (SA) is pretty quiet, naturally there are exceptions but generally not a lot happens. if you were looking for a datsun mecca of any kind, you'd probably find it in SA. theyve got some of the best workshops for datsuns and the best wreckers, and it seems most of the rarer datsuns are in and about SA more than other states. at least online anywho. its surrounded by hills with some fun roads in and about, WATCH for speed cameras though, australia is killer for those fuckin things

perth (WA)... i dunno much about perth really. their car scene is a bit weird, theyve got their share of awesome cars but parts are hard to find and expensive over there so limits things a bit for them. the mines are in and about WA so theres that goin on too, so far as i hear plenty spare women over there waiting on their mining lads who are away for weeks at a time ;)

darwin (NT) fairly remote but so far as i hear a really chill easy sorta place. would love to go there sometime. i dunno much else about it though, there's a couple of our more famous touristy things in NT though, ayers rock and the like, the stuart highway (used to be unlimited, now the prats have limited it :()

sydney (NSW) ive been there once, was a fair lot like melbourne just bigger, i dunno if it was just me but i got a stressful sorta vibe from the place, lots more people and larger suburbs, more traffic, more stress and congestion and things. good place for hitting the town though, theres touristy stuff too like the opera house and homebush, sydney harbour etc again watch for speed cameras, theyre a right prick

melbourne (VIC) i live there, im fair bias but i like it. theres touristy stuff like the arts center, great ocean road and the otways and things. otherwise a fair good place to hit the town, lots of things around depending on taste. great ocean road and amongst the dandenongs over the other side of town are good for a drive. heading north east away from melb suburbs there are some great places to drive about too. speed cameras are killer in vic too, hidden behind signs and bridges on our main arterials and various other places

hobart (TAS) ive only been there once, i liked it it was fair chill, got the feeling that like adelaide not a lot went on but a nice place to go. very green, some killer roads throughout and of course targa tasmania, killer rally event :D id hate to offend tasmania (couple of them i spoke to referred to all of us as 'mainlanders' and had a weird attitude about it :huh:) but id call it practically part of victoria. there are daily cruises to tas so getting there from vic is easy, you can take your car etc if you wanted, i dunno its just easy to get there. doesnt feel so far away sorta thing

canberra (ACT) is cool for history and memorial stuff, and if you think democracy is a fair and just idea and would like to see how it all works (and/or doesnt) in australia theres parliament house and all that, big war memorials and things too. lots of roundabouts is about the biggest impression i got of canberra hah

if you want to know about vic i could be a little more specific about some cool places, i cant really speak for the other states myself though