Im back.......phatdave

phatdave

Great to see you Dave!! I've been wondering what happened to you!!

You might check on the valve adjustment....tight intake valve will cause the backfiring.

Welcome back!! :)

Hi Mike, I got bit by the D' Bug again. It was on Craigslist and couldn't say no when I saw and drove it. Come over and look at it and visit sometime. Still in TheValley. I will adjust the valves , like you suggest, and go from there.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I think I found some of my engine backfire problems I ve been dealing with. The carb thats on it(WAS) is a " Weber" 34 DGEC. Its not stamped like a Weber should be, so I think its a phony....also all info I can fgind about a 34 DGEC talks about them being used on 4.2 liter Jeeps. That could cause some problems.

Damn! You got that for $800? I paid 1400 for mine, somewhat rusty, running, but needing seals, and a slippin clutch.

Guess its the sacramento inflation...

Post the weber jetting for the J13 when you get it sorted! =) Mine just so happens to have a DGEV!

Close enough, if anything its probably a tad rich seeing as the suzuki probably breathes a lot more air than the 6 port J. WHatever. if it runs!! I dont know what mine is jetted for, aside from a vacuum leak and a stuck choke, it seemes to run ok.

Sweet. Don't they normally put the DFV on the J series because of the clearance at the valve cover? Make sure you take pics of how you put this on!!! I'm sure there's some other J series owners that are going to want to see this :) You might even consider a separate thread in the "how-to" section.

Sorry. :(

The air mix screw is so close to the valve cover that you'll have a really hard time adjusting it. I'm not sure about the vac adv tube. I know it's been done before, so I'm sure you'll get it on....the DFV is easier. I'm pretty sure Datsunaholic has put the DG on the J......or maybe he's done the DF on the L. ???? I don't remember :(

Take pics! :)

Sorry. :(

The air mix screw is so close to the valve cover that you'll have a really hard time adjusting it. I'm not sure about the vac adv tube. I know it's been done before, so I'm sure you'll get it on....the DFV is easier. I'm pretty sure Datsunaholic has put the DG on the J......or maybe he's done the DF on the L. ???? I don't remember :(

Take pics! :)

weber3.jpg

I got ya. Usually, they need to have the throttle arm on the other side and the fuel hose on this side. Looks like you have the tall adapter? That's good too, in case you end up having to put the throttle arm on the bottom to be able to pull toward the fender. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it. Too many times, guys(like me) read about all the hurdles and then believe them with out even trying it. Then someone(like you) comes along and just does it like it wasn't a problem. :) Keep taking pics :)

I got ya. Usually, they need to have the throttle arm on the other side and the fuel hose on this side. Looks like you have the tall adapter? That's good too, in case you end up having to put the throttle arm on the bottom to be able to pull toward the fender. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it. Too many times, guys(like me) read about all the hurdles and then believe them with out even trying it. Then someone(like you) comes along and just does it like it wasn't a problem. :) Keep taking pics :)

Mike, I dont have a clue how to do it. As for the screw you talked about, I guess I could adjust it with the valve cover off .

Honestly, I was going to search here on the board for help and information.

I feel really strong this will cure the backfiring. I think the 34 was jetted for a 3.2 Jeep and might be in need of rebuilding to boot. Whoever installed it failed to use any sealer or threadlok the studs and allen screws.

As far as if I have a tall spacer ?..I dont know.Spacers and gaskets under the carb are about a total of 7/8 " thick.

Stay tuned. ( thats a bad pun ,huh ?!)