Tire rubbing strut.

AuosGnaf

Ok so I installed 280zx struts and mounted the driver side tire and noticed it's rubbing the strut. Checked the passenger side and there's clearance. Checked the hubs and wheel bearings and they look fine. Nothing is bent or off centered. Keep in mind the wheels are 0 off sets. I don't know why it's only the driver side, but it's only the driver side. Any help will do.

Oh yeah, I've already removed the struts twice and same results...tire rubbing the strut. AHHH!

Thanks guys!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your 280ZX strut mod. I would first confirm you have a matched set of wheels by swapping them side to side to make sure the concern is not the unlikely case of a miss-matched wheel set. Second, I would swap the Hubs side to side and see if the rubbing follows the hub (just in case you have the wrong hub).

If the rubbing continues on the same side after these two checks, its possible you may have one of two conditions:

1) Previous accident damage of the strut donor vehicle causing the spindle and strut tube to bend

2) The previous owner of the strut donor car replaced the strut assembly with the wrong part.

The spindle is an integral part of the strut assembly. The relationship of the strut tube and spindle are constant because they are one piece.

I hope other members can chime in with suggestions to correct any mistakes in my advice. Good luck

There are two different spindle angles on ZX struts. One is 7 degree and the other is 10(IIRC). Might be early vs late? That's why some guys can just bolt in ZX struts and others need to use camber plates. I was at Mike Klotz's place when we ran across that. It may be mentioned in his 10 page strut mod thread. It looks like you may have one of each style.

• 3 weeks later...

The 280zx struts I got are at two different angles. Had the same issue with the fatty 205 wide hoosiers. Just lathed off a little bit though, only like a 1/16th into the tire, which was not a big enough deal to do anything. Camber plates don't help you there because it only changes camber, not the spindle angle. Alignment is perfect, and noted as one camber plate is on 6, and one is on 7.