i need local help putting a head back on

ricky

ok so i just had my head rebuilt on my Datsun 510 l16. i have never done a head before and no i need to put it back on and set timing and valve adjustment im wondering if there is anyone in the Sacramento area that has done this before that is willing to help i cannot pay you. but i am willing to trade work for work. if you help me with my project i will help you. pm me or call or text 916-690-5587

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the issue is the plate with the notch in it to put the head at top dead center. when i pulled the head i could not find it , turns out the head was worked on before and that plate was on backwards. so the block is top dead center and im not sure how to get the head there. you know to make sure they are on the same stroke or not.

In theory it's not hard to reinstall a L series head but if your new to it i can see how it's frustrating.

The Hainz video will be very helpfull indeed.

A Chiltons or Haynes manual will have pics & text describing how to line everything up too.

Hopefully before the head was removed you had the motor lined up @ TDC compression stroke #1 piston.

Haynes is kinda vague I believe esp to a new person learning about motors.

But the hainz is Ezer if you have a computer link.

the head really cant be assembled wrong. it can be put on wrong by the cam in not the right position. i will assume the machine shop did not line it up to TDC. You have to know this. or make it to TDC. but this is ez.

maybe the Guba link dont work anybody know?

That sucks. Wonder why it was removed. It said up to 2 gb files, and its only 569mb. I dont have a video editor, ill play with it in a bit. trying to find a fuel inlet and banjo for my 45mm and nothing local, looks like ill have to order it which SUCKS cuz i was really hoping to work on the car.

That sucks. Wonder why it was removed. It said up to 2 gb files, and its only 569mb. I dont have a video editor, ill play with it in a bit. trying to find a fuel inlet and banjo for my 45mm and nothing local, looks like ill have to order it which SUCKS cuz i was really hoping to work on the car.

Do you need another slap?? Dont make get her to hit you again!!! while it's loading get your azz outside and work on that Dime or you can make a sammy BBEEEOOTTCCHH

Try dailymotion, or Google video (yes I know google is essentially youtube)

dailymotion is a no go, google says its the same as youtube but then says nothing on length.

Try vimeo or viddler, I would really like to not see this as multiple files.

To share to us, place it into a rar file and split it into 6 files. Upload to mediafire (no wait lines for downloading :))

Both Vimeo and Viddler at 500mb but no length limit. I vote Vimeo, nicer site, and able to download original file there.

For people that like Datsuns and have L engines, that video is a super resource, and many thanks again to Hainz for making it. I used it when I replaced my head gasket, and it made all the difference in the world since I wasn't really familiar with the L engine at that time. Glad to see it was saved and is now on Youtube :D

One thing the OP didn't say was whether or not he made or used a timing chain holder tool to keep the chain tight when taking the head off...? After watching Hainz's video and determining that everything seems OK, do yourself a favor and do a search here for "head gasket replacement". There are little details when putting it together that can make or break this job..Best to take your time and do it right once than to have to tear it apart and do it again.