Feelings about J series

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are slow. Yes parts are hard to get. A series is a much better choice simply for parts availability and no two piece felt seals for the timing cover, etc., that always leak when they stop with the split sitting vertical.

But why bother with a J or A series when you can build an L, SR, KA, or any other number of modern engines that still fit easily and offer better performance?

we are trying to get a 69 521 on the road, so the j is just for now....

Its my friends truck and ive finally got him into datsuns... I just dont want him too be too sad when he finds out the j series is a snail.... I have no experience with the J....

If he's not that mechanically inclined, I'd just make it run and see if he wants more down the road. Nothing wrong with the J series, it's just antiquated. Technically the L is too, but so is the Chevy 350 and everyone still likes those. ;) An L16 would fit just fine in the 521. And they're a dime a dozen. What's wrong with the current motor? Does it run, or is it just tired?

it comes with a j thats ceased.... We are going to go get a new one from washington... supposed to run strong...

I have plenty of L series set ups and I know its an easy swap (just motor mounts) but like I said we want to just get it going first...

we will build him a sweet L when the time is right.....

There like any other engine, they are just fine around town, but a little lacking on the hiway above 55 or on a hill, but if you want to keep up with your buddys KA swap, or your other friends L20b with a weber, or dual SUs, well forget it. It won't pass anything but a gas station, and that guy on the 10 speed.:lol: wayno

• Like 2

so does a J series even compare at all to an all stock well used L16? Or is an l16 way outta its league?

I had a L16 briefly, it would not follow my freinds dodge up a logging road because he was driving slowly, and once he stopped, I couldn't get it going again, had to turn around till I found a flat spot to start up again then floored it until i got to the top, that day was the last week I had a L16, I bought a L20b and some dual SUs and have never looked back. wayno

I guess I did not answer your question, The L16 and the J13 are good engines for around town for light duty chores, but if you want to keep up with your buddys, forget it. I have a problem with the L16, I lost all respect for it when it would not go up that logging road, and it had passed emissions, so it was not wore out. The J13 has 67hp, and the L16 has 96hp. I hope this helps. wayno

I have 3 L20's and 2 L16's... So no not too hard to find... I could go out in the garage.... BUT The Lseries go's in when we have alota cash to build it.... possible nos setup or turbo.... for now we gotta get it going with whats cheap and easy....

I would say trade up, if your going to swap the engine anyway down the road then why buy a new J series? I have the J13 in my truck, and once i have the skills and cash this will be taken out and kept just to look at. Main problem is hills, and espesially with any heavy cargo on the back, it goes slow, where i live our highest speed limit is 90km/h so top speed is no issue, but it could really need a little more accelleration, i get passed a lot while trying to reach 90km/h. (BTW: Norway is'nt known for being flat, I would maybe not be thinking this if i lived in denmark....)

if your not goin to use one of those L motors you have, i think its a big waste of time alltogetther.

if you guys are lookin for the cheap way out, you should prolly just wait to fnd a better running possibly driving datsun...

the way i see it with all this bullshitting trying to find a bolt in motor, your gonna end up getting screwed. j series are not common anymore.. go with the L

if your not goin to use one of those L motors you have, i think its a big waste of time alltogetther.

if you guys are lookin for the cheap way out, you should prolly just wait to fnd a better running possibly driving datsun...

the way i see it with all this bullshitting trying to find a bolt in motor, your gonna end up getting screwed. j series are not common anymore.. go with the L

i could not have said it any better

lol i dont mean to be a dick about it in any way... but when you look at what youve got to work with, id forget about driving out of state for a 'forklift engine'...

and i dont mean to jank on the J series owners either... ive drove small engine and stuff like that... they arent fast.. they have to be taken care of on a routine basis... it just not sensible...

id go with an L16 and a 4 speed... and then just swap the gearing in the rearend when youve got an extra 100 or you can buy the 410s off me for 25..

honestly, if we cut the J mounts out and drop the L16 and tranny in, we can build a set of mounts in prolly an afternoon.. we gotta know someone with a welder... even if its a 110, we can crank it up and do 2 extra runs on each weld...

get the duckies in a row and then start gettin to work...