new to site

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

roof mods stay a secret. i did not use a real coupe roof either. the story goes like this... i started with a pic of a coupe on the computer, took a video pic and played it back on my tv. i then traced out the pic and did a scale millimeter to centimeter break down of the 510 body to determine the roof angle and quarter window size in comparison to the door. from there the disassembly started, separated the rear section of the roof, separated the corners of the trunk jam and removed the rear sail panels. with the new leaned forward angle the sail panels have to get longer and so does the rear window. once the angle was set in place the rear below the rear window had to stand up taller too. next i had to figure out a window that was taller and custom grind the corners to look correct, it is a datsun window. after the sail panels were set the roof had to be shortened and then all was welded up. next i had to make side window frames and get some glass custom made. then i turned up the little corners at the back of the quarter window jams. last the drip rails had to be worked and worked and polished. thats about it. a friend called me and said there were some coupe vents on ebay. i thought they would NEVER fit but i was totally blown away when all i had to do was open the vent hole a bit to make them fit. the angle was as close as a guy could get without even seeing a real coupe. i am pretty happy with the turn out. i dont have any pics of the roof mod though, no digital camera back then for me.

roof mods stay a secret. i did not use a real coupe roof either. the story goes like this... i started with a pic of a coupe on the computer, took a video pic and played it back on my tv. i then traced out the pic and did a scale millimeter to centimeter break down of the 510 body to determine the roof angle and quarter window size in comparison to the door. from there the disassembly started, separated the rear section of the roof, separated the corners of the trunk jam and removed the rear sail panels. with the new leaned forward angle the sail panels have to get longer and so does the rear window. once the angle was set in place the rear below the rear window had to stand up taller too. next i had to figure out a window that was taller and custom grind the corners to look correct, it is a datsun window. after the sail panels were set the roof had to be shortened and then all was welded up. next i had to make side window frames and get some glass custom made. then i turned up the little corners at the back of the quarter window jams. last the drip rails had to be worked and worked and polished. thats about it. a friend called me and said there were some coupe vents on ebay. i thought they would NEVER fit but i was totally blown away when all i had to do was open the vent hole a bit to make them fit. the angle was as close as a guy could get without even seeing a real coupe. i am pretty happy with the turn out. i dont have any pics of the roof mod though, no digital camera back then for me.

i think it turned out great and dont blame you for not doing a step-by-step on the roof :D

thered be coupes rolling out of my shop by the dozen!! :frantics:

i know its not a datsun but we built this last year and its pretty cool. 11 second street car. 1985 mustang.IMG_6328.jpgIMG_6338.jpg a couple of pics after i wet sanded and polished the hell out of it.IMG_6272.jpgIMG_6280.jpg last one before you guys get sick of me. IMG_6284.jpgIMG_6300.jpg