Kyusha Kai's '71 510 waGoon

KyushaKai

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lookin good. Makes me sad since my goon is rip.Those wheels...... are amazing to say the least. Work Equip 02's,03's & Hoshino Impuls are the sickest wheel ever made. If all else fails just oni camber the front = )

• 1 year later...

Holy thread resurrection! Some stuff has happened since a while back when. Enjoy these crappy Instagram phone photos.

Channeled the floor. Diff still hits on big bumps, but it's WAYYYYYY better.

166022_10100283222122586_488999218_n.jpg

Money shot of everything from T3 that I could throw at the front end.

524191_10100310496499516_578424722_n.jpg

After front suspension and 2" drop blocks. Added some beat up 15x7 +11 Longchamps that I had sitting in my closet.

538298_10100276584838756_1200735209_n.jpg

Decided to hide the curb marks by plastidipping the barrels black a la Longchamp Black Limiteds. Still need to find some stainless nuts and bolts for it.

377367_10100347489984276_1282244474_n.jpg

As she sat a couple of days ago in all her glory.

7969881230_71023e6fde_c.jpg

She still has Oregon plates because for a while she sat idle. Now I'm motivated to take her cruising, but the damn gov't system here is fighting me every step of the way. I have to get her weighed for registration, because for some reason they can't use the weight of another 510 wagon that's already in the system. Got it aligned and -1* of negative camber (maxed out on camber plate) is too much camber to pass the Reconstruction test, which is the stupidest thing ever. If you modify your car a couple of inspectors do some "tests" to see if it's safe for the road. One of them is to push on a corner of the car to see if the suspension has 2" of play. It was a big deal here since S2000's (I think the CR edition) would fail that test in stock form if they were to do it. If you are caught without a Recon permit, the police can ground your car and force you to either tow it home or impound it. I think I can pass that with my 200lb springs, so that shouldn't be a problem. I am worried about having mismatched seatbelts, a whole bunch of wires that aren't hooked up to anything, a leaking exhaust, etc.

Aaaaanyway, onward towards the future! I've got the 280zx rear brake system including the handbrake that I want to install using Jesusno2's brackets and get her ready for body work and paint in the stock orange. I'm also slowly collecting parts for an SR20DE swap. No turbo since I figured a DET would destroy my rear end and shipping another one here is going to be costly. I would loooooove to have an ITB'ed SRDE set up someday.

I've been trying to work on the wagon for one full day a week, so I'll try to keep everybody posted on what's going on.

nice car.......love the redux on the rims... i always wanted to see longchamps on a goon..... i like it ....my all time favorite part of vacationing in hi...(besides raisn bran and a sunrise on the beach..)... all the sweet poke and stretch cars/trux ....loved hitting local beaches to see local 4x4's/ and mini tucks back in the day....it is deffinately diff over there and i like it .....my wife gets pissed when we get home and 75 percent of the vaca pics are cars of the islands.

.one question... are those long champs 0 offset in the front....they fit so well....

leave the or plates to mind fuck locals....and tourists...tell them u took the ferry from vancouver island...lol

Brian - I feel you man, my first car (MR2) was grounded and I had to tow it home since it was lowered an inch.

Jrock - yeah Hawaii has its perks. The 'champs are 15x7 +11 with 185/50's and no fender rolling (not even the inner lip). I want wider haha.

Haha the OR plates... my friend put a sticker on my car for a local forum, Forums Hawaii. Then another one off them peeled off the "orums" on the sticker. I musta looked like a real hater with OR plates and "F HAWAII" on my car.

Brian - I feel you man, my first car (MR2) was grounded and I had to tow it home since it was lowered an inch.

Jrock - yeah Hawaii has its perks. The 'champs are 15x7 +11 with 185/50's and no fender rolling (not even the inner lip). I want wider haha.

Haha the OR plates... my friend put a sticker on my car for a local forum, Forums Hawaii. Then another one off them peeled off the "orums" on the sticker. I musta looked like a real hater with OR plates and "F HAWAII" on my car.

well u can send me those long champs or i will fly over and bring them back carry on....wait i would have to brng three friends to carry on the other wheels... then they wouldnt wanna leave ....damn ...i guess your long champs are out my realm....damn that suck....nice sry onthe sticker

• 2 weeks later...

Some old pics of the strip down. Got the interior down to bare metal for rust repair and POR15.

8018790329_58743b8d30_c.jpg

A friend helped me out with channeling the rear. Gained a couple inches of travel, but the diff/driveshaft still bumps on huge bumps when the wagon is still loaded. So the solution? No passengers. :devil:

8018790491_d9aef17e33_c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the lack up updates everybody.  Been super lazy and in lurk mode.  What's new with the wagon?  Not much.  Lowered the rear a bit more by flipping the overload spring but I still want to go lower.  MIght try composite leafs when money becomes more available.  Swapped out the Longchamps for some 01's.

9406302779_dba0be5d6c_z.jpg

Found a set of Techno Racings 14x7 +2 and 14x7.5 - 6ish.  They need to be refinished badly.  I was kinda playing with the idea of running them super raw, dents and everything, but some new wheels are on their way  :devil:

9409066930_f093d3df99_c.jpg

For some crazy reason, the fine people at Koyo decided to sponsor me and hooked me up with a rad!  Insanely nice piece and super cool people at that company!
9409065050_35f2d3ea6c_z.jpg

Little things here and there, mostly driving it all over the island.  Also, I just came back from vacation in the PNW and got to meet some awesome people and see some mind blowing cars.  Flew up to Oregon to stay at my brother's house in Monmouth.  My old man and sister rode the Seattle to Portland bike ride while I cruised along in AC with snacks and soda.  Then I borrowed his car and drove back up to Seattle for Formula D and to check out the Dick's friday night meet.

I love this thing so much!!!

9406306351_c9546feeeb_c.jpg

Frank's engine bay is surgically clean!
9409074222_55611425e4_c.jpg

Sorry I forgot your names, but the 2 RB25'ed Z's makes me rethink keeping mines L powered.  Oh well, I gotta finish the wagon first and I'll go from there.

9406312303_2308794c9c_c.jpg

Got to hang out with Rob Primo after Formula D thanks to a friend.  Super interesting conversations between him and an FD official during dinner.

9406310443_cc21721d07_c.jpg

The first night I stayed there I found the cheapest place I could sleep (Motel 6) and thought I was gonna get murdered.  So my homie Yoshi put me up the next night in his place.  What was super cool is that he lives ABOVE Garage Autohero.  To get to his bedroom we had to walk past this:

9409075396_2a9788568a_c.jpg

Just wanna say mahalo to Dillon for getting the crew together so I can check out everybody's cars.  And I doubt they'd see this, but also thanks to Yoshi and Ray for the hospitality at the shop.  Ray makes a mean coffee!

• Like 1

And a glamour shot my friend took for Koyo as a thank you.  I really want to lower the rear another inch.  Is there a definitive part number on a 3" drop block?  Preferably with the pinion angle correction?  Searching always yields so many different opinions.

9406493117_ffdeae1103_c.jpg

• Like 1

Man, I've got a story about what I think is your car. So Sunday night I was walking with a group of friends from the scuttlebutt brewery down to my dads boat on the Everett marina. In the distance I heard a loud car start up but couldn't see it, and I made the comment to my buds "sounds like something I'd drive." Then about 30 seconds later i about pissed myself when I saw an orange goon emerge about 200 feet away. the ironic part is I just picked up an orange 71 wagon about 2 weeks ago. It's currently not running, but seeing that got me all fired up to get it going! Could that have been you? Your car looks good! Nice pics

Man, I've got a story about what I think is your car. So Sunday night I was walking with a group of friends from the scuttlebutt brewery down to my dads boat on the Everett marina. In the distance I heard a loud car start up but couldn't see it, and I made the comment to my buds "sounds like something I'd drive." Then about 30 seconds later i about pissed myself when I saw an orange goon emerge about 200 feet away. the ironic part is I just picked up an orange 71 wagon about 2 weeks ago. It's currently not running, but seeing that got me all fired up to get it going! Could that have been you? Your car looks good! Nice pics

I'm in Hawaii and the car's been here for the last 2 years or so...  how long ago was that?  The previous owner is from from Seaside, Oregon and I know it did make it's way up to Seattle to Garage Autohero in it's past though.