Kyusha Kai's '71 510 waGoon

KyushaKai

Hahaha yup, snuck it in at 2am.  Securitys kinda used to it already...  I've brought up countless sets of wheels, fenders, hoods, exhausts, seats, etc.  The running joke is that I'm building a car in my apartment.

I was having problems with the diff hitting the body every time I drove it, but I was not willing to sacrifice ride height or cutting into the cargo floor.  So the other day, I added another leaf to the pack.  Rear suspension for anybody who cares consists of:

Additional and flipped #2 leaf (second longest), trimmed down to fit the pack.

Adjustable KYB shocks

3" drop blocks

Leaf spring clamps

Drive shaft tunnel redone.

This set up nearly eliminated any metal on metal contact and kept the height the same.  The only time anything hits is on big bumps or when I launch hard.  That's no fun so later on, I'll work on finding more clearance.  Using The Dime Quarterly's wagon issue as reference, I'm probably looking at about a 190 lb/in spring rate in the rear.

Other than that, I've just been playing with my new welder and building up my confidence.  Sometime next week I'll be building an exhaust for the wagon since the current one is driving me nuts.  The Y-pipe is cracked and the rear end of it fell off of the muffler.  I got a Top End Performance shorty heady from eBay, and am planning on running 2" piping into a cheapo Thrush muffler.  I'm mostly doing this for practice and to try and find a bit more ground clearance.  I've got a pretty good idea of how to do everything but if anybody has any more tips, I'd appreciate it!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good Lance. The wagon that is. :blush: Heh.

I'm heading up to Oahu this Friday. Gotta pickup and arrange YB shipping of the parts I scooped from the dude in Maili. LMK if anything exciting is going on there, maybe come check you guys out.

Officially "Following Topic" now. :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So I went on vacation to LA for a week to check out Formula D and crashed at Antonio's house from MotorMavens.  The cool thing about hanging out with Antonio, is that he knows so many people and all the cool places in LA.  Every time that I've gone to southern California was with family doing dumb touristy stuff, so I told him I just want to do the kind of things that the locals do, and eat where they eat. 

10413294085_4137f89e1b_z.jpg

Antonio's friend, Jeff's super cool Subaru 360 Van on 10" Hayashi Streets and Advan tires at Micro Image (they specialize in small cars).

10413289286_15b0e7fd99_z.jpg

10413291586_1456ca8693_z.jpg

Jeff's Boss' Fairlady Roadster on Hayashi Talons.

10413286416_b09865b7bf_z.jpg

Pretty cool Z at the Slammed Society show at Irwindale during Formula D.

10413285155_8860ca665b_z.jpg

RHD Bluebird on what looked like 13" Hayashi TRV's

The next day Jeff took me to Super Car Sunday that featured the Z cars.  It was an off Sunday though, so he said there were way less cars than normal.  Anyway, I got to ride in an SR20DE swapped Fairlady roadster up Mulholland on the way to lunch. 

10413414803_6320c3dca5_z.jpg

So much fun!  This little thing was pulling in a GSXR-1000 in the twisties!!

10413252924_292645466e_z.jpg

Jay Leno showed up in this crazy fire truck thing with a hydraulic bed that lowers to the road.  Perfect for picking up crashed bikers, he said.

10413279356_b0a0a71973_z.jpg

We cruised to this super swanky auto detailing place where the owner of the local Nissan dealership had a couple of his cars on display.  According to him, this is an unfinished BRE chassis that sold and completed independently.

10413259034_ab91782c75_z.jpg

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT ROADSTER.  

10413276255_6a4dba69f1_z.jpg

My favorite car of the whole trip.  Chassis #00222.  The owner's father originally sold the car at the dealership, and it was bought back where it was a part of Nissan's Z restoration project.

10413411583_aee0829b7d_z.jpg

What's a trip to LA without going to Cafe Lu?  HAHAHAHAHA!!!  For those who don't know, it's a Vietnamese coffee bar where the girls (who are all import models), serve coffee and tea in lingerie.  

I had so much fun and I got to meet so many cool people!  I got to meet Shin and Sakai from D1 Japan (Shin is the new director), and they invited MotorMavens to throw an event at Suzuka next year!  Holy crap, I gotta start saving my pennies...  Another notable moment is cruising in the VIP booths at Formula D, talking to the booth girls, and getting free grub from Hankook tires while my other friends who came up had to eat a $6 burger from the concession stand lololololol!  And the foooood!   Hawaii has ZERO good Mexican places.  OMG, fried shrimp taco.  I'm dreaming about it already...

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my best friends, Roy, has been helping me a lot lately, and letting myself and my friend turn his unused garage into a serious workshop.  He's been going through a lot of hard times with his personal life so I wanted something for him to look forward to and keep him occupied in the long term.

Enter:  Thisismatt's '76 620 Longbed.  Exactly what I wanted.  Something cheap and reliable, yet rough around the edges.

10718668475_6a5b68b898_z.jpg

Just don't ask me how I end up finding so many orange Datsuns.  First step for the truck is to get things legal.  The brakes take two pumps to build pressure so I've got a new master arriving either today or tomorrow (we tried re-bleeding the brakes).  She needs a new turn signal switch, as the current one won't pull up to signal a right turn.  Does anybody have a spare?  Or tried one of those remanufactured ones on ebay?  I think we also need rear bumpers to pass our safety checks here.  And get rid of those humungous truck mirrors.  I'm pushing him to make a build thread on here, but IDK if he's gonna do it.  

10718754376_0c3eba2a64_z.jpg

I went cruising around the island the other day and thought this would be a nice spot to document this look.  I'm currently changing it up and hope to have it done by Sunday for the JSpirit meet happening down here.  I've posted a few sneak peeks on Instagram, but I haven't let the cat out of the bag yet.  I'm just hoping I can get it all done.

10718656015_5432dfab23_c.jpg

Oh and I finally finished redoing my exhaust.  It's a Top End Performance shorty header (the one from ebay/racetep.com), two inch over-axle into a Thrush turbo muffler.  The old Y-pipe split off completely, and the back half of the exhaust fell off after the muffler, so it was definitely time for a new one.  It was definitely an interesting experience.  Can't say that the welds are beautiful, but they're strong.  It sounds a lot smoother and quieter than before but still somewhat loud.  Weirdest part is my Yokohama S.Drive tires are way louder lolol.  It sounds like I'm driving a lifted truck on offroad tires.  No pics of the exhaust because it's not shiny and cool lol.  FYI, that shorty header takes some INTERESTING maneuvers to get a wrench to fit a nut to the bottom manifold studs.

• Like 3

Kailua side yeah?

Looking good.  That muffler still needs pictures you know.  

I just noticed you have the other fender light hole.  

My friend's house is in Kaimuki and the shot against the water is Waimanalo side.  Yeah, I got early model lights I want to use.  The driver's side fender is a late model so it's gonna be chop, weld, and shave time.  I'll try and grab a shot of the exhaust job next time I jack the car up, but it's seriously an ugly job.  I'm not proud of it hahaha.

Following JustJoel's advice in a thread I made earlier (http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56468-4-drs-and-wgns-who-went-wide/), I broke out the angle grinder, took a deep breath and did this:

10755379385_1aed24c67b_z.jpg

No pictures during the actual restructuring process or finished product because I forgot.  LOL.  Anyway, here's a pic of the ALMOST finished product:

10755675923_1728389096_z.jpg

I ended up pulling the fenders more to clear the rim lip.  I took it on a test drive before I did that and on the first big bump, the lip of the rim kissed the double walled fender  :sick:

15x8 0 offset with 175/50/15 Nexen CP621.  

• Like 2

All this work was done because I was busting ass trying to get my car ready to debut it's new look at the JSPIRIT meet yesterday.  It seems the off and on showers really scared people away as it wasn't as big as I thought it would be.  No biggy, I had a blast.

10822839836_4530393ccc_c.jpg

The crew I rolled in with consisted of a Starlet, a Mango, a Hi-Lux, an MX32 Cressida, myself and another 510 wagon, a 620 KC, a 240z, a '67 Porsche 911, a BMW 2002, and an 80's 6 series.  Very cool dudes to hang out with.

10822846246_7513978118_z.jpg

New wheels!  15x8 Wats with 0 offset and 175/50 Nexens.

10822957104_9f87d7dc97_z.jpg

My grails!  Napolean GT suichuuka fender mirrors.  Took me YEARS to find a set.

• Like 2

All this work was done because I was busting ass trying to get my car ready to debut it's new look at the JSPIRIT meet yesterday.  It seems the off and on showers really scared people away as it wasn't as big as I thought it would be.  No biggy, I had a blast.

10822839836_4530393ccc_c.jpg

The crew I rolled in with consisted of a Starlet, a Mango, a Hi-Lux, an MX32 Cressida, myself and another 510 wagon, a 620 KC, a 240z, a '67 Porsche 911, a BMW 2002, and an 80's 6 series.  Very cool dudes to hang out with.

10822846246_7513978118_z.jpg

New wheels!  15x8 Wats with 0 offset and 175/50 Nexens.

10822957104_9f87d7dc97_z.jpg

My grails!  Napolean GT suichuuka fender mirrors.  Took me YEARS to find a set.

do you have the matching shift knob? or more importantly, do you want one  B)