rear differential swap

boxboy

I did a third member swap last weekend in my 520. Changed the 4.88's for some 4.374's. At first I was under the impression that it was not that much of a change. But I wasn't driving with traffic or anything, so I was trusting my speedometer like a moron. RPMs at 55 seemed the same. Duh. Driving tonight at "55" I noticed people weren't riding my bumper and wanting to pass like before. Then it hit me, my speedo is now off.

Okay, so how much? How do I know how fast I am going without making my wife drive in front of me at 55 and make a mark on my dash? OR, even better, is there a way I can swap the speedo gear from a 521 tranny into my 520 tranny?

I know this has probably been addressed before, but I could only find stuff referencing 620's and 720's.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple if the speedometer was accurate with the old gearing. Just figure out the change in ratio and you'll get the change in speed.

4.88/4.374 = 1.1157, that is to say the new speed is 1.1157 times faster than the old speed, assuming the old speed was accurate. So, your new "55mph" speed is 1.1157 * 55, or 61.36mph

Sorry there was another thread I confused it with.

Your speedo pinion in the tranny you have now is matched to the 4.88 rear end ratio and should be a WHITE 19 tooth cog.

Moving from 4.88 down to 4.375 is a change of 10.34%. Changing from a 19 tooth down to a BLACK 17 tooth is a 10.52% change which is as close as you can get.

I have to go out and will post a possible source for the 17 tooth or the Pt.#

mike