Snowballs Chance 510- Rotisserie Resto Project

merlin

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Low is the goal - I have front and rear coilovers for it and am going to make the local version of the Penultimate crossmember... I have several options for wheels, I have 13x7 Libres for that classic look... I also have some Snowflakes, but they won't be wide enough now... I'd like something that looks like the Snowflakes bec ause this car will be my "Snowballs Chance Racing" car... the Snowflakes are stupid heavy though.

Merlin

I hate to be a 'stickler'..... :lol:

But.....you should have Grannys 510 in there instead...????

And an LZ on one stand..... :)

Once I get primer sealer and a dust coat on this, that is the plan Stan- 2 weeks out?...

Day 8- Cleaning up the details

finished and cleaned up a pile of welds, IMG_2244-1.jpg

found a few more soft spots under the gas pedal,

IMG_2240.jpg

cut the shifter hole better for the tranny... Anyone got a l20b ZX 5 speed set up and a tape measure handy? how much room do i need for the shifter hole forward of the front edge of the seat xmember? I'd like to patch the tranny tunnel before I paint etc.

IMG_2241.jpg

welded up t he fender mount antenna hole AKA the "rust vent"...

IMG_2238-1.jpg

Here's the fiberglass rear valance i got from Classic Datsun Motorsports.

IMG_2239.jpg

... and lastly, my messed up front Valance... lots of hammer and dolly work on that one....

Tomorrow... sanding and Eastwood metal prep treatment

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

been a bit since i updated this took a few weeks off but have been back at it for about 10...

stripped to bare metal and ready for Eastwood Fast etch..

iphone010.jpg

fast etched rear quarter

iphone013.jpg

effing rotissierie pin dropped out , the back end hit the ground and i did this ... it all hammered out but i'll have to do a repair patch where the quarter it the corner of the engine stand leg.(blue paint transfer)

iphone060.jpg

underside stripped etched then coated with a good thick layer of Zero Rust

iphone068.jpg

my leeetle friend the Shutz gun ... paintable undercoating - two coats stem to stern incldund the wheel wells

iphone072.jpg

iphone075.jpg

as she sits as of tonight... engine bay has been primed and given 2 coats of white Tremclad aka Rustoleum, interior has been coated with a thick layer of white Zero Rust

iphone074.jpg

started layering bondo on the roof, but picking up too much junk... need to do a really good shop clean before i do anything else

It's Bondo Saturday! looks like I'll use about 20 lbs. but I expect all but about 5 will end up as dust.:P I heart air tools

I split, derusted and resealed the bottoms of all 4 doors... a pantload of rust in the door bottom seams that wasn't visible from the outside.

Bead blasting the door hinges and a few other fittings so I can remount and align all the panels before I high build primer the bastard.

I hope to have it on a rolling stand instead of the rottisserie by tomorrow - gotta weld one up. the 2 engine stand rotisserie was worth its weight in gold, highly reccomend the idea if you can make one safely.

The half circle trailer fender for a 15 inch wheel is nearly a perfect match for the 510 arch. Tack heat and hammer as you go and it works out really well. And you're right, it's strong as heck and you use less filler to bond on the fiberglass flares.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

WagonJon I have a great job. I run 5000 square kms of essentially untouched wilderness camping area for the government. Downside... I work about 2700 hours in 7 months. The plus side is i get december 1 to april 1 essentially off. Next project update dec 1

• Like 1

WagonJon I have a great job. I run 5000 square kms of essentially untouched wilderness camping area for the government. Downside... I work about 2700 hours in 7 months. The plus side is i get december 1 to april 1 essentially off. Next project update dec 1

Ah ok, I'll wait for the next seasons exciting episode!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Cleaned the shop of work stuff, rolled it out of the corner... resume project!

1. finish putty, sand and paint body

2 install 4 wheel discs, front and rear coilovers, subie LSD

3. install LZ22 efi and Z 5 speed.

4. wait for snow to melt...

• 1 month later...

another week til i'm in Japan. been working on the l20b 5 speed swap in my 521, which every little nut and bolt has snapped on, so its taken longer than needed. Jan 4th i will get back on this pig.

I got robbed a few years back so i lock down or move everything to relatives when i travel, so all my tools aren't around right now for safety reasons.