Tube-frame 1968 Datsun 510 - Slowest moving project ever!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this shows the monocoque rear section where the curved part of the frame floor tubes are skinned with steel. I also cut down the driveshaft loops a bit - weight is the enemy and that steel strap is heavy! Due to driveshaft proximity to the driver, and due in part to drag-race chassis builder influence, these hoops form the tunnel frame but also act as protection in case of driveshaft (u-joint) failure. I'm just starting on the Aluminum skin for the tunnel - it alone wouldn't offer much protection!

The aluminum floors won't be riveted in until EVERYTHING is taken back out and all the framework cleaned up and painted.

510hrtunnelmock.jpg

Awww man all the bead rolling is just sick! (And structurally appropriate of course.) But on the trans cover, it is a thing of beauty! Did you roll it then form it or form it and then roll it? Man I wish I had friends like you guys locally!!!

More pics will come of the inner wheel wells when they are made - it's pretty much up to date as of this morning!

As for the trans tunnel, it was formed, then beads rolled. I think the proper way is to roll beads early, but the "test fitting" of the aluminum (versus the posterboard template) kinda happened first. It's always neat how stiff and strong the flimsy sheet becomes once it's bent into compound shapes -- that can work for us or against us!! There are some "die marks" where the roller contacted the sheet since there was already a good bit of curvaciousness to the part - that's the downside to bead rolling after...

Really, the only reason to bead roll early is because you CAN'T roll the metal through the bead roller after it's been formed into much of a shape.

This is DEFITNITELY a "practice" thing - and two people help. Bead rollers don't cost much, but sharing EQUIPMENT is the best thing. My friend has the bead roller. I have the paint booth. We both use both - if you don't need to own both it's all good.

It seems to me like living in Portland would be the best!!! Well, the grass is always greener on the other side. Anyway, it's posted now- anyone within reasonable distance is welcome to come and make Datsuns here in Alexander NC if they want. I just saw Steve who's heading up to N.J. with a few old bits and pieces that he needs to save his 4-dr shell from being lost under the falling barn.... and he traded me some pointers about TIG'ing that he's learned from experience and from making some DAMN FINE bicycles. If you haven't yet, you must check out Steve's bikes. His last name is Stickel. His bikes are BYSTICKEL

Methinks the barter system is our only salvation in the "current economy"

Fisch! - Belchertown MA can't be too far - let me know what you want in trade for some of your sweet artwork!!!

Nice! This I will remember! Most of my projects are a while out from needing fab work, but you have my mind turning!! Like, if I ever went with a bigger engine in the '59, I'd need a new trans tunnel!

And I forgot you were East Coast! I guess when I see an amazing Datsun build I always think west coast!

more pics of the inner wheel tub process, i gotta do it on mine too! lol

NCRmtrsprts510-

-check out posts #53 and 54 for pics of how the outer wheelwell housings were sectioned for the outer tubs - the inner "halves" of the tubs will be more straight- forward but I'll try to post a few pics of this next process when I get to it - it's really quite simple as long as you're patient and careful when making templates(out of carboard and/or posterboard).

OK, so REPEAT for the other side, and if you're lucky enough to be taught by a fabricator with OCD, both sides will be a perfect mirror image, so you can use the same template for the other side, reversing bends appropriately.

Wifey got 2 hours in the garden and I got 2 hours in the shop, so this is far as got today - more in a day or two, I hope.... The tub "roofs" are next, of course!

510hrinrtub6.jpg