Re-assembled engine wont run???? help?

nathan_454

ok so I took my L20 apart to do a headgasket. not because it blew, but i was fighting an oil leak that ended up being at the front of the headgasket

put it all back toghether no problems. set the timing chain as per hainz' video and double and triple checked it made sure my cam timing was correct

Inserted oil pump with the notches lined up, driveshaft is in the 11:28 position

inserted distributor with the rotor pointing in the right spot (matchbox) so its pointing back at the intake/exhaust manifold

double and tripple checked my plug wires based on the 1-3-4-2 CCW firing order.

Have tested spark, and i have good spark

have fuel at the carb, can see fuel squirting inside - so the accel pump is working.

It will spudder and sound like its trying to start, but only if I crank my distributor as far as i can (CW, and with the little 8mm bolt on the bottom loose as well as the 10mm adj bolt loose so i am getting lots of adj.) and if i hold the throttle wide open

I did have my head shaved, and i noticed when i checked the cam timing that the V notch and the dash mark are not Perfectly aligned, but i figured this was due to the head being shaved. it is about 25% in the v notch and 75% out..

The only thing i changed was when I dissasembled the motor the cam gear was set to number 1, everything i read said it was supposed to be on 2.... so i put it on 2....could this be my problem???

I am at a loss and am getting super frustrated with this damn thing.

anyone close to Olympia washington willing to stop by and help me out if we can't get if figured out on here?

help!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sprocket number is unimportant, the position of the V and the horizontal etch mark governs. The V should be just slightly to the right of the etch mark above it. Being out slightly shouldn't prevent it from starting.

The dizzy may not be the stock one and the p/o may have 'clocked' the spindle from the 11:28 position to rotate the dizzy into a new position where the dizzy could be turned to get the correct timing. What you may have done is put it back in the 'wrong' location. (if you know what I mean.

Set TDC and see if the rotor is under the #1 plug wire terminal. Can the dizzy still be advanced (clock wise) enough to get the 12 degree advance needed?

The sprocket number is unimportant, the position of the V and the horizontal etch mark governs. The V should be just slightly to the right of the etch mark above it. Being out slightly shouldn't prevent it from starting.

Yeah it is slightly to the right right now

The dizzy may not be the stock one and the p/o may have 'clocked' the spindle from the 11:28 position to rotate the dizzy into a new position where the dizzy could be turned to get the correct timing. What you may have done is put it back in the 'wrong' location. (if you know what I mean.

Yeah i get what your saying.

Set TDC and see if the rotor is under the #1 plug wire terminal. Can the dizzy still be advanced (clock wise) enough to get the 12 degree advance needed?

I will try this and see. It seems to me like I checked this already but can not be for sure... it almost seems to me like I am not getting enough timing adj to make it fire. but i will go doublecheck

Did you have to move any plug wires on the dizzy cap?

I just hooked it up according to rotor position and rotation. with it on tdc but i just took some pics (coming shortly, and think i may have found the problem) I dont think i can turn the distributor far enough to get the proper advance....

So i got it at TDC on the COMPRESSION stroke.

12192010127small.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is where the rotor points

12192010128small.jpg

12192010129small.jpg

ANd this is with the cap on

12192010130small.jpg

I have the distributor rotated as far CLOCKWISE as i can get it. it looks to me like i am not getting enough adj.... or my distributor shaft is off? am i on the right track?

Im happy you figured it out yourself cause now its one more thing you will check the next time (( BUT)) like i told ya when you were picking up those headbolts if ya need help just come over and ask and i will roll over to yer house to see if i can help, on weekends all day and weekdays till 3:00 when kids start getting home. My kids play Xbox live so im internet-less when their out of school so PM-ing probably wont get to me either ..but i will PM you my phone # and just write it down..cause all i did this weekend was take all (,well alot ) of the useless crap and throw it outside of garage door.AND im always up for some shenanigans ,

And like i said, biggrin.gif

Wayno

cam sprocket/gear on dowel #2, did you also time the chain to the #2 mark? It does make a differance if the numbers don't match, I always use #1 dowel and #1 ??????

what ever dowel mark you use the chain dimple on sprocket will be in about the 2 oclock position on the sprocket. Thats the one you use. How ever if one removes the head the brite cahink link will not usually be there once motor spins around a few times. then one uses the timming marks on crank and the cam mark dash on the cam tower behind the sprocket. this could be trial and error to get right when doing this.. that why you turn the crank CCW for a few inches then turn it clockwise again getting the slop out of the chain and dial up to Zero on crank then look at the cam sprocket timming and see if the V on the sprocket is lined up on the thrust plate.