Looking to build a Racecar

The track I race at in Tn has dropped the class I race in now. They are stating a new RWD mini stock class. I raced a 510 / 610 back in 1986 and had a blast in. After leaving racing for a few years I bought a 79 200sx in 92 Fell in love all over again. With this new class being sorta stock and my believe the Datsun will visit victory lane. I want to hear which Datsun car you think will get me there. Ive been reading up on them for the past week , but not getting good results from google. Ran upon yoursite 2 days ago , there seems to be very noligable folks on here. So here are the main rules Im worried about.

Weight - minimum 2200lbs - so motor has to be able to pull the wieght.

Brakes - Steal Caliper Fronts / Back Drums Only- not sure about this on Datsun's

Rear End - NO Independent Rear Suspension - Dont a few models have this ?

Wheel Base - max 108in

Would like the 1770 motor because of shorter stroke , single cam only.

Car must be RWD.

Can you please help me in the right direction.

Thanks

Richard Ford

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 510 wagon, and probably the 610 wagon meet those specs almost perfectly.

-RWD

-Not sure of the stock weight, but 510 two doors are 2200 (I believe).

-Solid rear axle

-Disc front brakes with steel calipers (not steal).

-Drum rear brakes

-Wheel base 95.3 in (according to Wikipedia)

-L16 1600cc motor, can be made to make the car fast enough to get out of it's own way.

Not sure how much of a racer you are, but in case you don't already know this. In an ideal world, your racer, by itself, is under the minimum weight, the further the better. The reasoning for this is twofold:

1: You want to be able to add weight to the car to make it exactly the right weight (plus a small safety factor).

2: You want to add the weight as low as possible (i.e. on the floor pan), this keeps the CG lower, and makes the car handle better, because there is less weight transfer.

Here's a link to a thread on here about a really cool 510 wagon race car build.

http://community.rat...ce-car-project/

Skunk, the Zs don't work because the car must be a solid axle.

Flipper, yes, several Datsun models have Independent Rear Suspension (IRS), Zs, 510 2/4-doors, 610s (not sure which though).

A pickup may also meet your specs fairly well. The only thing is I don't know when they went to discs in front. But the first year of disc fronts might suit you very well.

The S10 200SX is also a solid axle, the S110 200SX is also apparently a solid axle. The S12 200SX is an IRS car, so it won't work for you. <= based on research, not first hand knowledge.

The 210 would be a possibility, but finding one that had an L series from the factory might be tough (not sure how common these were, but if you could only find A-series 210s, I'd stay away from it, because making power with an A-series is not easy/possible (not sure which).

Don't know much about 710s, but it sounds like a 710 2/4-door might do you really well if they're solid axle cars, much the same as a 510/610, but with a solid axle, sounds good to me.

I guess I should have put 4 cylinders only. Did any of the Z's come with 4's ? That 1200 is sharp , like the 200sx , 610 & 710's also. I am trying to find out about pickups , it dont say no to trucks but rules states Cars , so I will look into that with track. Hmmm a wagon ? That is a thought if wheel base is under 98in. Them b210's are sharp , but small motor , small hp and torque for a 2200lb car. But they make great looking racecars

Yeah we been around racing all my life , been on several crews , been crew chief twice and a racecar owner , drove for 7yrs over the last 24yrs. Thats the #1 reason I wanna try a datsun again , I have knowledge now that I didnt have back in the day we ran the Datsun.

Thanks for all the input , im steal searching for the Right Datsun even if its after the name change.

Trucks reg cab short W/B 100.2" reg cab long and KC 109.6" are too heavy. Lots of heavy duty stuff not needed to lug around. '78 and on had front. disc and L20B motor. Leaf spring rear and lots of ratios to choose from.

610 goon W/B 96.4" and 710 2 and 4 dr and goon W/B 96.5" Front disc and rear leaf. The '74 710 automatic came with an L18 and 4.11 rear ratio. This rear end, put in a standard, would maybe allow you to get into 4th gear on a rack. All other 610/710 rear ratios were3.889 and 3.70.

'78-81 510 (later HL510) W/B 94.5" Front disc brakes and leaf springs on the goon and coil springs on the sedans. Same diff as the 710s and 610 goon but deplorable 3.3 and 3.5 ratios in them. L20B and Z20S motors. Both engines have an optional dogleg transmission with 2nd above 3rd and 4th above 5th. The L20B dogleg has the same gears as the PL 510 and the 200sx but the Z20S dogleg is a closer ratio tranny with less RPM drop between shifts. The front L case would have to be swapped over for it to work with an L motor.

S10 (200sx) W/B 92" Front disc and rear four link and coils. Same diff as the 610/710/ HL510 but 3.889 or 3.70 ratios.

S110 (2nd gen 200sx) Has rear disc brakes*

My dream car would be:

710 2 door with L20B unless there is a size limit then an L18

FS5W63A close ratio dogleg from a late S10 with an L front case half on it. Unless tranny swaps not allowed then the stock 4 speed is fine.

A '74 710 automatic 4.11 rear diff swap.

• Like 1

I have a friend here in north georgia with a 510 set up to be a mini stock. pm me and i will shoot you his email. Also has all the other stuff needed to go racing.

Find a 4 linked solid axle datsun to avoid a 50Lb weight penalty of IRS,and here in mini stocks you have to add 30 Lbs to the nose of the car since we have aluminum heads...

Can you post a link to the rule book?

here you are allowed 1cc per pound so you can change the motor but you have to pay attention to the little rules. LOL

1770cc to pull 2200Lbs is asking a lot of that little motor. lol

Well hey if you want to take mikes advice with the 78 510 I have one I'm trying to sell to pay the vet bill on my dogs parvo case. Sorry to thread Jack. Always hoped to make it into a rally car but doesn't look likely at this time in my life. Great power and weight balance too. Pm me if your interested

Well hey if you want to take mikes advice with the 78 510

Not really advice. Just some specifications so you can compare the 610, 620, 710, S10, S110 and A10 cars. The 510 isn't better or worse.

Besides he's looking for a leaf spring rear end and the sedan you have will be coil spring.

'78-81 510 (later HL510) W/B 94.5" Front disc brakes and leaf springs on the goon and coil springs on the sedans. Same diff as the 710s and 610 goon but deplorable 3.3 and 3.5 ratios in them. L20B and Z20S motors. Both engines have an optional dogleg transmission with 2nd above 3rd and 4th above 5th. The L20B dogleg has the same gears as the PL 510 and the 200sx but the Z20S dogleg is a closer ratio tranny with less RPM drop between shifts. The front L case would have to be swapped over for it to work with an L motor.

Richard,

2200# minimum and 1#/CC tells me 2200cc is the smallest engine you would want. The 710 w/L18 or L20B @ 2200# isn't going to be much competition against a Toyota Celica 2.2L or Ford Mustang 2.3L.

If you want to stay Nissan, ask the track if OE rear discs are OK (like they are going to help a stock 4 banger on dirt). The Z22 powered pre-'84 200SX would be the best fit, but they are disc rear from the factory. The HL510 with L20B or Z20 might work but you are giving up 200# in weight to other cars. Then you could always build an L23 inside an L20B block and wait to see if anyone catches on. :o

This class sounds like the promoter wants old Celicas and Ford products winning. If a Nissan is at the front, I'm sure you'll have a bull's eye on you from lap one. :sweat:

This the race track I will be racing at , real tight corners , track is shaped like a paper clip. Thats why Im wanting the 1770 for the short stroke to get me off the corners , You can see the honda's are wicked quick , class was dropped because of cost getting out of hand. I dont see this class being any different. 60 over , up the cam and a very strong 500cfm , I know it says stock flywheel :) hehe

incar camera from 411 Motor Speedway

http://www.youtube.c.../24/ndziC1whtZY

YES thats me behind the wheel , no I dont wear gloves.

All things equal, displacement beats shorter stroke. Running 1770 in a 2300 limit is just wrong headed. You are giving away too much. Find a Z20E it has stock flattop pistons and 6" rods and the crank is fully counter weighted so it will rev all day. Stick a L20B head on it or swap into an L20B, all Nissan parts. Over bore the L20B block and install Z22 crank/rods/pistons for and LZ22.