WTB Shifter for a Dogleg.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The shifter bushings and cup, E clip, cross pin from an FS5W71B are the same so likely the shifter will fit also. The shift lever won't be bent in the right place but I've bent them in a vice using a length of pipe over the end.

Just saying that likely any FS5W71B 4 or 5 speed shifter made before 1980 should fit.

'73-'79 280z/zx 4 speed

'77-'79 280z/zx 5 speed

'74-'79 620 truck 4 speed

'77-'79 620 truck 5 speed

The shifter bushings and cup, E clip, cross pin from an FS5W71B are the same so likely the shifter will fit also. The shift lever won't be bent in the right place but I've bent them in a vice using a length of pipe over the end.

Just saying that likely any FS5W71B 4 or 5 speed shifter made before 1980 should fit.

'73-'79 280z/zx 4 speed

'77-'79 280z/zx 5 speed

'74-'79 620 truck 4 speed

'77-'79 620 truck 5 speed

They do fit. I used one when my car had a dogleg in it. I would recommend using some heat if you are going to try and bend the shifter, they are a bit brittle.

What style are you looking for?

5244631517_2c7797e4e6_z.jpg

What vehicles did the 2nd from the right, and the far right shifters come from? I have an L20b with a non-dogleg 5-spd and have that type of shifter in it. I am looking for a replacement shifter, also. Thanks.

What style are you looking for?

Um, something that works with my tranny... Thats all really.

Do I have to have a special bolt for the shifter as well? Im thinking I am going to the JY tomorrow. Website says a good amount of mid 70s pickups are at the JYs.

If you go to the yard, check for a 280 ZX car shifter, factory dogleg from a 200SX or a B210 I tried one out of a 620 and the shift knob ended up being VERY close (knuckles in the ashtray close) to the dash in the top 3 gears. You could easily cut it down if you NEEDED one, but if you can find one of the other three it would be easier and faster.

If you find a few of them in the yard, snag the little plastic bushings from the pin area and keep them as spares.

If you can find decent shifter housing gaskets while youre looking grab those too, youll be glad you did. They really cut down on the noise and the fumes inside the car.

Happy hunting.

If you go to the yard, check for a 280 ZX car shifter, factory dogleg from a 200SX or a B210 I tried one out of a 620 and the shift knob ended up being VERY close (knuckles in the ashtray close) to the dash in the top 3 gears. You could easily cut it down if you NEEDED one, but if you can find one of the other three it would be easier and faster.

If you find a few of them in the yard, snag the little plastic bushings from the pin area and keep them as spares.

If you can find decent shifter housing gaskets while youre looking grab those too, youll be glad you did. They really cut down on the noise and the fumes inside the car.

Happy hunting.

Mike,

The mount on the transmission for the shifter changed in '80. The holes for the cross pin were moved upward about 1/4" and the shaft below lengthened this amount. In effect the fulcrum point was raised thus shortening the throw.

transFS5W71Bshifter77-80Large.jpg

transFS5W71Bshifter80-86Large.jpg

shifters002Large.jpg

There's a good chance that the shorter throw shifters will not fit the earlier trannys.

The short throw shifters will fit the earlier trannys, you can also take the plastic bushing with the spring and flip it to get a bit more room/leverage. Ive got one from a later 720 in the 78 5 speed and it fits damn near perfect, I dont know if I have the bushing flipped or not as I took them all apart to clean it up and forgot which direction they were in originally.

I didnt like the feel of the spring in the bushing at first but after driving it its not bad at all.

When using the later shifters the earlier shift boots wont fit around the diameter of the shifter so grab that too if its in good shape.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.