LSD into my Frontier WIN

So, I know it's not a Datsun, but all in the family right?

I finally got around to doing the Pathy rear swap in my '02 Frontier after 'bending' a rear axleshaft on a rainy day... (accidentally slid and banged a curb)

IMG_1547.jpg

I had pulled this rear end from a Pick your Part a few months back with Adam (Motavated). THANKS ADAM! It was a half off sale day, so rotor to rotor, it cost under $200. (he didn't charge me for the discs either!) you can see just how much bracketing this thing has on it to hold the 4 link, panhard bar, sway bar, and shock mounts! I thought about leaving them, just in case i go 4 link soon...

but i realized that they would be hitting the exhaust and possibly crossmembers at the height the truck is now- so they had to go.

IMG_1640-1.jpg

The donor was a 1988 4x4 Pathfinder SEv6 with the vg30, rear disc brakes, and clutch style limited slip. The axle code was HG46 i believe, which is geared pretty low compared to my 3:9 stock ratio, but I needed something asap!

IMG_1637-2.jpg

IMG_1639-1.jpg

Grinder assault

IMG_1780-1.jpg

my buddy Shon putting in work

IMG_1776-1.jpg

IMG_1786-1.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The next step was to get it cleaned up and have the leaf perches welded on.

I took it to a kid who has done work for me before- fabbed up a trans bracket for my 521. The guy does amazing work.

This is his current shop with some of his projects in progress.

IMG_1794-1.jpg

I took him both the pathy rear as well as the stock frontier rear end so that he could duplicate the exact width of perches as well as setting the exact same pinion angle.

IMG_1790-1.jpg

another bomb

IMG_1799.jpg

when i got it back, it was BABY smooth!

:nana2:

IMG_1806.jpg

see these welds?? :)

IMG_1811.jpg

He even attached the bracket for the brake-proportioning valve in the exact same location!

IMG_1812.jpg

Did some SERIOUS cleaning and wire brushing

IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

Threw down some primer (using hi-temp engine enamel)

IMG_1815.jpg

and some silver hi-temp

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

Loaded it in and bolted it down

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

after searching hopelessly in the yards for a decent set of calipers, i decided to spend a little more on a set of loaded reman calipers from Kragen...

IMG_1829.jpg

I had to get a shorter driveline made- using the stock front shaft and carrier, but with a shorter rear shaft and flange from the pathy (which i pulled from the yard)

I called Drivelines Inc. in Mission Viejo (which I WILL give a shameless plug, because they were amazing!!) http://www.drivelinesinc.com/

and the came to my house that day to take all the measurements and pick up the old driveshafts. The had it done THE NEXT MORNING @@!! :nana1:

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

Got everything bolted back together- new brake hoses and replaced all the stock fluid with Racing Blue. Bled it out- no leaks!

IMG_1841.jpg

filled everything with Redline gear oil and went for a drive! Limited Slip CONFIRMED !! drew some "number eleven's" on a back road and got to do one canyon run in the hills- shift lock is much more effective and immediate, and i can now control the slide with throttle. All in all, incredibly predictable and stable. And, great traction in places where I might spin one tire and understeer.

The only thing that still needs working out is the parking brake- the stock setup is mounted under the driver side frame rail, so the cable on the passenger side rear drum is twice as long as the driver side one.

the pathy rear has equal length cables that need to mount in the center...

so i'm going to have to figure something out...

Also, it's still geared lower than I'd like, so the speedo is way off, and my freeway top speed is limited sooner by the ecu's governor (which thinks i'm going 100mph when i'm actually going 80)

So, I'm looking for an h233b rear with the 4.3 gears, but it has to be from the years 1987-1990 which have a larger number of bolts on the housing 3rd member than later years.

Bottom line: happy!

:huh: you are crazy mike, should have welded the perches on before the beauty paint job...No?

I think I'm just going to get a housing from a pick-up, for my LSD project, now that I've seen those welds, which I cant duplicate, I'll be better of not welding mine!

• Like 1

i ahve to say after seeing some of the shittiest welds on here, the guy who welded your perches on knew what the hell he was doing!! he had that thing dialed the fuck in! its wonderful what you can do with square wave technology and a 4,000$ welder and some experience!!

• 1 month later...

What year is that rear from? I see it has studs instead of bolts for the 3rd member...

IIRC the later housings, after around 91, they switched to an 11 stud housing, as opposed to the early 9 bolts.

Hessian, yours should be a 9 bolt, correct?

The two third members/housings are interchangeable, but to put a 9 bolt third in an 11 stud housing you need to pull 2 of the studs

IIRC the later housings, after around 91, they switched to an 11 stud housing, as opposed to the early 9 bolts.

Hessian, yours should be a 9 bolt, correct?

The two third members/housings are interchangeable, but to put a 9 bolt third in an 11 stud housing you need to pull 2 of the studs

I believe you are correct, and yes, mine is a 9 bolt rear housing. I wasn't sure if i happened to find a later model rear, if i could make the 3rd member fit, but I think I'll give it a go and post results.

thanks!

bahahahaaaa!! all that for a photo?!?! :)

looks like a cool pathy from this angle lol! anyway, the 11 bolt drops in no problem? just pull 2 studs?

right on! now i need a half off day at pick your part!

so that truck started up after being upside down like that!? did all your motor oil run out the breather??

bad ass.

Yeah, video of the posi or BAN. You shouldn't have to mod your housing at all because you have the "bolt style housing" just toss it in there. There is a gasket, but RTV works fine, just a bitch to get it on there without smudging it.

As for the roll over, I didnt feel like crawling under the truck to tighten the diff bolts :lol:! I was bombing forest service access roads the FIRST time driving with a welded diff, understeered right of the side of a bridge. Took us several hours to get it back on its wheels. About half a quart of oil leaked into the air cleaner, but didnt spill, just soaked into the paper. Starter solenoid was the only mechanical damage, bump started her and got better mileage on the way back without the windsheild!

edit- little more info on my pathy's here

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/26934-the-white-truck/

Hi-jack over, sweet frontier