Wagon Rear Seat belts

Aaron Datsun

Before I start removing my headliner to look for mounting points did the rear of a 1971 Datsun Wagon have 3 point seat belts on the sides, or were they just lap belts? I was pretty sure I saw a spot to put a 3pt belt before I put up the headliner up, but I can't remember for sure. I have to keep the kiddos safe if they are going to ride in the wagon.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the '71 model year 08 '70-08 '71 production dates were equipped with over shoulder belts in the back seat, one on each side. For 09 '71 and on they were a different part number so something may have changed with them.

That maybe the case for a sedan, but the 71 wagon has lap belts. two points only!

My 71 has lap. Not sure on the month though...

Same, not sure on month either!

No, that was for the goon.

Left and right, Black only.

88810 A4200 '71

88810 N4200 '72 and on.

Strange! Never seen a goon with rear shoulder belts, but haven't really looked at to many goons either :D I dont know what month mine is, ill go take a peek here in a second tho

let us know where you mount the shoulder belt to. I have a '70 Goon,with 3 lap belts installed (2 original,& the center one mismatched) but would like to have shoulder belts for the kids also. thanks!

that's what I did. my Goon didn't even have rear seatbelts when i got it. the release strap was tucked underneath too. I had to take the seat out to clean underneath,& get the release strap out. I had 2 spare stock belts and one mismatched Datsun one,so I bolted them in using the factory hardware that was left(bolts & brackets,but no belts). the car is my only driver,& I needed seatbelts, for the kids,so I made what I had available work. I've been thinking about installing some safety latch points for the kids carseats like in modern cars too,but i'm not sure where to get suitable latch-hooks. should the be welded in place,or would bolting them in be strong enough in an accident? I'd still like to have shoulder belts too,preferably retractable ones,for as many of the belts as possible. anyone have any ideas?

Upon further checking, no one has them on N Am cars. The mounting point weld nuts are behind the head liner so if you can find one from a front seat or another car you could rig something up. I have a '76 710 goon and it doesn't have one. Bask then they may not have even required them.

Thanks for the pic! I'll definately be checking my Goon for that mount point. if you have a chance to post a measurement of where it is in relation to the front top edge of the rear quarter window,that would probably help me & a few other people. do you have any suggestions on which vehicles to pull the retractable belts from?

My headliner is out of the car. I will grab a pic of the hole, if there is one, tomorrow.

I looked at Robert's goon at Saturday's show, and there is a raised boss with a threaded hole for the shoulder belt mount. Robert's goon has the headliner out of it at the moment, so it was easy to spot.

Point is, they mounting points appear to be there on all of them.

I looked at Robert's goon at Saturday's show, and there is a raised boss with a threaded hole for the shoulder belt mount. Robert's goon has the headliner out of it at the moment, so it was easy to spot.

Point is, they mounting points appear to be there on all of them.

Good news! And I failed at going to see my car. Its not fun when your car is parked semi permanently.