My Swiss 1972 S30 240Z rebuild project

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dude what bolt did you use to block the the thermostat housing with? I got one on mine but i think i need a better fitting bolt

not sure which one you're meaning, i got the car with all those bolts installed, so i didn't add any bolts or blockers to the engine, it's like i bought it :)

4/6 cylinder should be the close to the same. your motor looks pretty good. I would just put new gaskets and try running it.

Thanks for the INput and video :thumbup:

Actually i don't have any carbs so i can't run it, but will have it rebuilt anyway with some performance-parts and probably even get it bored, or maybe an L28 block - we'll see.. have to get a lot of other things done first and buy a lot of parts :sleep:

Your block looks very good. I still see the cross hatch marks in the bore.

I would order a new Japanese timming chain kit. Make sure its a Japan made kit. OSK, or Tsubaki.

I see the chain tensioner is very worn. Maybe you can just get the new tensioner and slack side guide on the left side. I have done this before as most chains dont really strerth out that much.

If your head is straight just cut it a minimun amount so you dont cam need shims installed.

If bearings are good just get the same size and have the crank polished.

My last 2 motor blocks I had done, the bearing size were STD(standard) size. and 1 motor had 200,000 milrs on it.Nissan cranks are very strong and hard unless the oil was very bad.

PS when I lived in Bitburg Germany(airforce) I had a1978 3 LTR V6 Capri and I just loved those cars.

They remind on of datsuns. Cheap fun cars.

Bauer Porsch, Turkish Corvette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your block looks very good. I still see the cross hatch marks in the bore. I would order a new Japanese timming chain kit. Make sure its a Japan made kit. OSK, or Tsubaki. I see the chain tensioner is very worn. Maybe you can just get the new tensioner and slack side guide on the left side. I have done this before as most chains dont really strerth out that much. If your head is straight just cut it a minimun amount so you dont cam need shims installed. If bearings are good just get the same size and have the crank polished. My last 2 motor blocks I had done, the bearing size were STD(standard) size. and 1 motor had 200,000 milrs on it.Nissan cranks are very strong and hard unless the oil was very bad. PS when I lived in Bitburg Germany(airforce) I had a1978 3 LTR V6 Capri and I just loved those cars. They remind on of datsuns. Cheap fun cars. Bauer Porsch, Turkish Corvette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your input mate - yomehow missed your post :(

1) Yeah i think it's still an untouched block, however the head doesn't seem ti fit to this block (E30 head to L24 block?!) weird..

2) I definitly get the completed engine rebuilt and probably even will swap for an L28 block or something.

3) thanks for the input with the chain, i'll definitly try to keep as much JDM or japanese as possible, it's just the better quality usually :)

4) Haha yeah, those capri's they still use 'em for hillclimb racing over here, but they've become rare, i believe they really rust fast :P

• 1 month later...

Yeah i finally found a little time to spend on the Zedd again and one thing i have been looking up to for a while has been the fuel tank disassembly, to see if i can reuse the fuel tank or need a new one... Before:

P1060983-Kopie.jpg

Up on closer inspection i found this "Derendinger" Sticker. It's a swiss company specialized in refurbishing OEM parts or selling aftermarket parts. lets see what's up with this later..

P1060982-Kopie.jpg

Removed the "Swimmer" thingy first:

P1060985-Kopie.jpg

Pretty corroded and i think it' needs replacement:

P1060986-Kopie.jpg

Took a closer look to the inside:

P1060987-Kopie.jpg

Minor surface rust, green corrosion and black sticky 15 year old fuel on the bottom...

P1060988-Kopie.jpg

Definitly needs some rework but i think it's in good shape for refurbishment!

At the end i also wanted to check the outside, so wire-wheeled some of it and then i saw the Copper-part them seems to be from a previous repair done by Derendinger. But allthough the basig substance looks great! And just figured out Deredinger are still refurbishing fuel tanks so probably i'll leave it there for some reworking soon :)

P1060992-Kopie.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The 240Z Project is quite slow actully, because it's summertime, i need to save some money for car related stuff and also need to figure out how to continue with a few things.

At least i should get a few new parts soon...

Now remember that ma complete rear was destroyed by a little crash from the prevous owner and also by the fact someone earlier tried to weld in some different taillight-housings?:

P1050660-Kopie.jpg

So i wondered what's the best solution to fix that, until i recently figured out the entire taillight panel as well as the rear bumper is one piece according to the parts catalogue:

S30-116-01.jpg

Eeven found a picture of a complete item. Now i need one. haven't seen replica pieces and i assume this one is extremly hard to find.. well, let's hope :)

Z432rearpanel1.jpg

I even found a manual how to remove the old complete rear panel here:

http://www.zparts.com/zptech/articles/panel_removal/pages/rpan_remove_faq.html

This is how it looks when removed (not my car luckily :D)

240z_rear-panel-removed.jpg

So if anyone knows where i can get the entire rear panel, or what the genuine part number is

please let me know!! this would bring me a huge step forward!

This is the part number i found.

P/N: 79100-E4650

On this catalog:

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/DatsunZIndex/tabid/1543/Default.aspx

If you type in that number to this website: http://www.nissanparts.cc/cart/?pn=%09%0979100-E4650 it shows it might still be available through Nissan in the U.S.

HI there, thanks a lot for your input, actually i found a thread on another forum that says Nissan USA doesn't have it in stock, but probably i'll try to buy it through that online store. i'll also asked my friends in Japan and i'll visit a huge storage of NOS Z-parts in a couple of weeks, hopefully i'll be able to get it somewhere :)

thanks a lto four your help guys, and @ Rustina 510: Just go ahead and buy one - there are plenty of them :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally, after waiting a few weeks i got my new floorpans from Zedd Findings which are the best avialeble floorpans and the closest one to the original Design. Really like them :D

P1070398-Kopie.jpg

More stuff to come soon, working hard on the EK9 project now ;)

here's my EK9 by the way, some parts are currently under a litte rebuild:

P1070080-Kopie-Kopie.jpg

• 1 month later...

In case if you're wondering: the 240Z project is by far not dead! Im just completing the EK9 and don't want to work on two things at the same time. This also gives me the opportunity to think about a few solutions. Today i went to check out a rusty but complete and probably good base Z that will maybe replace the pretty wrecked Shell i have now. Let's see if i'll get it or not! Also in about a week i will check out a big colleciton of NOS Datsun parts and probably buy a few things :D Here's the z i checked out today:

P1070887-Kopie.jpg

P1070890-Kopie.jpg

P1070889-Kopie.jpg

P1070888-Kopie.jpg

First: Don't ask me about this place, i won't give anybody any information about it it's secret!!!

Today my mate stefan took me to a special place. A guy who stocks almost any imaginable datsun parts, rare cars and piles of used parts as well as some other parts and even ultra rare NOS parts. I didn't buy anything yet but i definitly will buy a lot of things soon!

Used bumpers for later model cars:

P1070923-Kopie.jpg

classic toyota engines :)

P1070897-Kopie.jpg

240Z for sale:

P1070898-Kopie.jpg

Datsun bluebird SSS:-)

P1070907-Kopie.jpg

Engines, gearboxes and more :)

P1070908-Kopie.jpg

classic car bumpers :)

P1070909-Kopie.jpg

Skyline Kenmery C110 (Datsun 240K GT in europe) front grille:

P1070912-Kopie.jpg

Classic Toyota wheels with the TEQ Sign :)

P1070915-Kopie.jpg

Some steelies? :)

P1070921-Kopie.jpg

Suspension parts, interieur, footworks. just everything :D

P1070894-Kopie.jpg

I'm not allowed to tel you more about this place, but i'll return soon and buy a lot of things i need for my Z project :D My friend stefan bought a complete 240K GT front bumper and grille for decorating his garage :D

• 4 weeks later...

Im Currently looking for a solution for my Z. The body on mine isn't too bad, but there are a lot of ugly and cheap patch-reparis, as well as a ben't frame, and a crashed rear-end and a lot of parts which are missing. Some of them are really hard to find. so i thought a donor-car might be something good. some friends told me about this one i checked out a while ago and a bit further today:

P1080002-Kopie.jpg

P1080003-Kopie.jpg

I have to think about it. will check it out again next few days. the owner will be able to put it on a fork lift to see how it looks underneath. but it's promising so far :)

P1080004-Kopie.jpg

P1080005-Kopie.jpg

Pro:

- It's complete, so comes with all parts i need for any Z-Build ;)

- I Can cut taillight panels and stuff

- I could sell a few parts like those funky aftermarket wheels

- It has an aftermarket tinted front window (anyway i like OEM-style more)

- It has a lot of cosmeting wear and surface rust but seems to be in way better condition than mine when it comes to the Frame, floors and stuff.

- OEM Seats and seatbelts included.

- Price is cheap and parts are worth more then the whole car costs.

- Comes with replacement doors and rear spoiler

- Free dead bird inside included :P

P1080006-Kopie.jpg

P1080010-Kopie.jpg

Contra:

- Rear window-rubber and trim missing

- Bent roof

- Roof window missing (So it has been raining inside for a while...)

- Some water inside (but still ok if i clean it up before it rusts..)

- Seems to have been repainted in a wrong way because it's starting to rust under the paint, why paint is peeling off..

- Dashboard is cracked (but better than mine)

- Rear lower panel is kind of rusty and needs replacement...

- I haven't space indoor for the car so it needs to be stored outside..

P1080011-Kopie.jpg

P1080015-Kopie.jpg

well my decision so far: If i check it out within next few days and it looks good from underneath and i get a good price i will buy it, pull it apart and then see which one is worth more the rebuilding. at least i have a lot of bodyparts and spareparts then. You'll see! More coming soon! :D

Jup, it has been a while, but today i bought a second 240Z for a really great price. it looks ugly but it was a real great deal :D i'll also get some more parts from this guy beloning to the Z soon. Mor information soon:

1) My friend Simon is loading the car and tying it safely :)

P1080040-Kopie.jpg

2) while at home my old Z chassis had to leave the garage for better workspace on the new one:

P1080042-Kopie.jpg

3) and here my new fairlady is safely at its new home in the garage:

P1080044-Kopie.jpg

P1080046-Kopie.jpg

Even have some OEM seats and seatbelts :)

P1080045-Kopie.jpg

and a complete engine with carbs and everything :)

P1080047-Kopie.jpg

4) Last but not least i had to wrap the "old" chassis so it wont get wet during winter:

P1080048-Kopie.jpg

I'll explain more on my plans soon. all i'd like to say is that both are genuine swiss 1972 240z. The main plan is to strip the new chassis and build one car out of these two with each part choosen from which car the part was in better condition. but we'll see. will be fun to explore :) Lots of updates will come again soon - the project is back in full swing :)

Started disassembly on the second Z today. This is how it started:

P1080049-Kopie.jpg

Removed some Paint first where i saw some rust underneath. It's a real shitte homegrown paintjob whith a wrong build-up. Seems like the big amount of primer and/or Bondo underneath drew humidity and started to rust on the surface. well luckily only on the surface!

P1080051-Kopie.jpg

Removed the taillight covers first which have been painted in a wrong colour also:

P1080053-Kopie.jpg

Rubber-taillight seals are really brittly and weak but lucky me i allready have a set of new ones lying around :)

P1080054-Kopie.jpg

and taillights uncovered:

P1080055-Kopie.jpg

Next i removed the rear wing:

P1080056-Kopie.jpg

And cleand up a bit in the trunk. theres a hole and some rust in the spare-wheel "bowl":

P1080057-Kopie.jpg

Found this funky oldschool-sticker in the mess that was inside:

P1080058-Kopie.jpg

Next i removed the driver seat which is soaked in rainwater, but otherwise looks usable when re-done:

P1080059-Kopie.jpg

Also found a genuine but black painted datsun emblem underneath:

P1080060-Kopie.jpg

Then removed the driver side door panel:

P1080065-Kopie.jpg

And rear window which was only laid inside without rubber - easy task :)

P1080064-Kopie.jpg

And this is how i ended up today. I feel like i know one or two things now from my first Z and that makes it all faster :)

P1080063-Kopie.jpg