Pumpkn Ratro BMX Build!

So I have had these 3 motomags for a long ass time. Had them sence I was like 9, and havnt been able to find bearing cups and whatnots for the front. The rear is a bendix 79 so it is really easy to find the parts for that. But the front is a one off cup style. They have a lip on the outside that prevents the cups from being pulled into the wheel cause there isnt a stopper in the wheel for the cups. I went to a bike shop (not to be named) and after a whyle of talking at him, was allowed to buy some old school cups that I could modify to fit. Sence they didnt have the lip, I bought some that didnt fit(too big) I put them on a air grinder bit and ran them backwards on a bench top ginder! Only had to bring them down 2 marks, I left the last little bit factory to be the lip. Was much easier than anyone (myself included) thought it would be! Now all I gotta do is get the rest of the retro BMX bike from Kelly(lilblackwagon) and build it! So excited to get a BMX back on the road, with the COOLEST WHEELS EVER! Heres my build, hope you enjoyit!

101_0026.jpg

101_0027.jpg

101_0028.jpg

101_0029.jpg

101_0037.jpg

101_0038.jpg

101_0039.jpg

101_0040.jpg

101_0041.jpg

101_0042.jpg

101_0043.jpg

101_0044.jpg

101_0046.jpg

101_0048.jpg

101_0047.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The lip prevents the cup from sliding in to the center...no? Would you want to put a spacer in between the cups to prevent them from sliding towards the center.

I used to BMX, those rims were hard to find back when, even harder to find now...

What kind of bike/frame are they going on?

The lip prevents the cup from sliding in to the center...no? Would you want to put a spacer in between the cups to prevent them from sliding towards the center.

I used to BMX, those rims were hard to find back when, even harder to find now...

What kind of bike/frame are they going on?

The lip prevents the cup from sliding down into the wheels, yes. And No, a spacer would allow the whole assembly to slide side to side!

Got a friend with some old school BMX shit, he say he got me a frame.

Wow i havent seen mags like that in a long time ! Let us know what kind of frame you end up getting. I have 2 old school Red line bikes that i ride occasionally...

Redlines Suck ;)

And not sure bout the frame, will keep you posted. Friends got one that he says "looks" like a retro frame, but isnt one :unsure: Sucks, I decided to do a retro BMX and come to find out that this shit is all the rage right now. Finding the right "looking" stuff is more expensive than I had thought!

You know what'd be hella funny??? ........... use some crutches for a seat post........ .. :lol: ......... I saw some idiot riding a high bike with a crutch seat post

Yea, what kind of shitty fab is that?

:unsure: :huh: :mellow: :o :angry: <_<

Damn, did it again..... Hella

I picked up a setof white plastic 5 spoke mags at a garage sale and ran into the same dillema. Was going to run them

on my verde vex for some og trail bangers but on top of being in lousy condition they were cracked on the rim and wouldn't hold air. Skyway still makes mags but they cost hella $$$ and still kinda suck. Never seen any like that but looks legit :) good find

OK so, I got the frame and junk today from Kelly. put the rims on it, on it, for a couple quick shots. Thinkin bout sand blastin the frame and fork, lettin em rust and clearin it. Maby have some non rusty lettering? Was also thinking that it would be cool to make some pegs for the rear stays! The frame is a Royce Union, fake GT performer.

Heres the Oics:

101_0065.jpg

101_0066.jpg

101_0067.jpg

101_0068.jpg

101_0070.jpg

101_0071.jpg

101_0072.jpg

101_0073.jpg

Looks like a kool table full of parts.. :D Is there a way to convert the rear rim to a freewheel? And i bet if u sandblast the rims they'll look alot cleaner & its a fast job. Or...use some of that Eagle one wheel cleaner & some steel wool to freshen em up a bit ??

Sometimes it's better to just not ask lol. The second one has one of those cool stuggle to pedal light comes on dealios. Growing up my dad would always be given old busted bikes from a friend who got them who knows where (dumpster maybe?) and there were tons of oddities in the mix. The flipped upsidedown womans bike with hombre handle bars is ridiculous hahaha... What ever became of the old hood scoop btw? Not to thread Jack

The second one has one of those cool stuggle to pedal light comes on dealios.

What ever became of the old hood scoop btw?

Headlight was a Batt Operated one, and I hated those generator ones!

And I think Pappy may still have that fukin scoop layin around, but you can get your own off a shitty 80s mustang at your local junk yard!