New on the forum with my first Z

soundwave89

So today I got my new project car, a 1981 turbo 280zx. It's in bad shape, but somehow it runs and drives just fine. The body has been spraypainted, it has a little rust in some places, but nothing too bad. Interior is nasty, but I'll be reupholstering it once I get a sewing machine. Other than that all it needs a new quarter window and t-tops.

Here's how it looked this morning:

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Then I pulled the interior out to see what I was dealing with. There was tons of dirt and pet hair, and about $3 worth of change, but nothing too bad. The floorboards aren't even rusty.

Here's how it looks now, after pulling everthing out and vaccuming up all the junk.

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

(ghetto wiring for the window switches)

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! That looks like a big project.

Warez the turbo? :blink:

DSC_0014.jpg

It's the optional Electronic turbo. You can see the piping to the intake is just broken and now it just blows air over the injectors when they get too hot ;P

Welcome to Ratsun! Good news is your strut towers look good from here - those have a habit of rotting out in our neck of the woods. Parts for the S130s are pretty reasonable still although there are typically less parts for the 2+2 as far as body panels go.

yea I don't know why I thought it was a turbo, probably because the salesman said it was, and I was more focused on the interior and body to be looking at the engine too much.:blink: Anyway today I'll be taking out the rest of the interior plastics and the headliner, tomorrow or monday I'll be pulling the dash out to fix all the bad wiring behind there haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

So things have been slow on the Z until the past couple days. My firebird (DD) had been giving me some problems, but luckily it was nothing major and it's all fixed now. I also had to fix my dad's Audi (overpriced hunk of crap) so I could get it out of the garage and put the Z in. But now I've got the Z out of the rain, so I was able to get to work on it this week. I took off as much trim and weatherstripping from the body as I could, found some more rust but nothing I wasn't expecting. I also removed the hatch and quarter windows. Pretty soon I'll be ready to start sanding down the body, fixing all the bad rust holes and putting it in primer until I can get it to a body shop. I also got the dash out today, although I still have a couple of wiring problems I haven't found yet.

DSC_0021.jpg

The bumper is being held on by only one nut that's stripped out and spinning freely. I have to find a grinder to borrow so I can get it off and tackle the rust underneath.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Does anyone know an easy way to get the t-top rubber off? It seems to be stuck on pretty good, but I haven't tried to remove it yet.

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...