Bought a 63 Mercury

I've been browsing craigslist in Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois for a cheaper mid to late 60's Impala, Skylark, Lesabre, olds 2 door, basically anything GM 2 door with a large trunk. I found a few cars I wanted but when I contacted them I either got no answer or didn't leave any way of contact. I ventured into the early 60s in my search. I run across this 1963 Mercury Meteor Station Wagon - $500. The whole description was "It has no battery and needs work. I don't know if it will run, it has sat in a barn for 8 years." sounds like my kind of vehicle. This wasn't what I was looking for but I think it will do. I needed a car with a big trunk because I DJ and it sux trying to DJ in the winter only having pickups. Well I took a trip, about 70 miles, to look at this car. Its not as nice as the pictures look but for a car nearly 50 yrs old in Michigan, its not so bad. There is a hole in the drivers side rear floor board, dent in drivers fender, a ford circle logo, dodge caravan hood ornament, and no gas tank. The dash looks in amazing shape, everything chrome. It is a 3 speed column shift manual so I assumed it was an inline 6 cylinder. I poped the hood and it was a small block v8, guessing a 312CI V8. I grabbed the crank pulley to try to turn it, no luck it was stuck. I looked around the car some more, pushed in the clutch and that still work, column shifter still worked, key moved, and it has a clear title. I went back to the engine compartment determined to get the motor to move. I pushed down on the belt as hard as I could and lifted on the fan blade, and it moves.... so there is a chance it may run again. The older lady selling the car asked if the car was worth $500. I told her possibly, depending on the person interested. I expected to pay $500 or maybe $450. I asked her what was the lowest she would take, she said make me an offer. I offered her $350 and she took it. I get to pick it up monday.

3n53m73le5V25Z05W6aa118203964215c143d.jpg

3mb3pe3o75T55R55S3aa1f33627ce23c016b6.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad guessed 312 but wiki says 221 or 260 like you said. I kinda curious on the column shifter, always wanted to try one. This stuff is way before my time.

A 63 merc should have a 221 v8 or maybe a 260? those are the little bros. of the 289 only big difference is bellhousing bolt pattern. I think the 312 was done by 1960 or so. if it is a 221 or 260 a 289/302 swap should be easy.;) I say swap to a floor shifter, I hate drivin a 3 on the tree.

My dad guessed 312 but wiki says 221 or 260 like you said. I kinda curious on the column shifter, always wanted to try one. This stuff is way before my time.

Column shift is pretty cool as long as all the bushings are tight in the linkage. I drove my Rambler that way for about a year until I did a SB/4speed swap. If nothing else, it makes a good theft deterrent.

Column shift is pretty cool as long as all the bushings are tight in the linkage. I drove my Rambler that way for about a year until I did a SB/4speed swap. If nothing else, it makes a good theft deterrent.

Got a 57 Chevy GooN for my 12th birthday! Had a 3 on tree, and it was a blast to drive, the bushings and tangs in the column were kinda wore out. You could shift into 2nd by just by pushin in the chutch, it would fall right down to 2nd! :lol:

my 2nd car was a '63 Mercury Meteor 2 door. it originally had a 260 V8,but the previous owner had put in a 170 inline 6 after the V8 went bad. they never finished the project,& I sold it before i could either (after 2 years). this was in the mid '80's, I was a teenager and I didn't have the money,or patience to work on it. I have often regretted selling it,especially since the internet was invented & parts are more easily found. Parts should be pretty interchangable with Ford Fairlanes,since the Meteor was Mercury's version of the Fairlane,just as the Comet was built on the Falcon platform. you have found yourself a sweet deal! the little wings,& cone tail lights are just awesome looking! I've always felt like the Meteor was a upscale version of the Fairlane. Good luck with it!

Well I wrenched the mercury on the trailer and got it to my dads. Before I took it off the trailer, I tried to start it, poured some gas in the carb and took off. So I poured some gas in the boat gas tank in the back, and it was able to run off its own fuel. I drove it off the trailer, and across the yard a few times. Then I poured some brake fluid in it and got some brakes. I took it down the road, it 65 mph before I let off. Its kinda scary because all the rear leaf springs are broke. So for $350, + $30 gas, and 20 minutes of time I had a running, driving, and somewhat stopping car. The radio tries to work but wont pickup anything, most of the lights work, heater blower wont go, wipers work, most of the gauges and signals work.

I took pictures but I'll have to upload them when I get home.

That car is cool :cool: It looks to be in pretty good shape. Should be a great car to haul your stuff around in. I too just bought an old Merc. I picked up a 72 Marquis Brougham. 19 feet of some serious american steel. Look for it in this section next week.

I'm finding some other things wrong with the car, just found that the fuel pump is bad. It still running but its leaking out a vent hole. I tried plugging it and the car died out going down the road. It also is looking like it will need a brake master cylinder, it looks to be leaking as well. I did get the heater blower to work and it has heat, definitely a plus for Michigan.

I spent all day yesterday trying to get the right fuel pump for this old mercury. I end up having to get one from a 67 mustang with a 289 in it. I tore the brakes apart, just needs the wheel cylinders rebuilt.. parts are ordered and should be here Tuesday. I replaced the accelerator pump now the carb dont leak anymore. I thought the rear leaf springs were broke but it was just 2 bad u bolts on one side. This car might be down the road sooner than expected.

I did find some scary rust spots in the front subframe. I'm not sure how long the car will last, the front frame is gone under the radiator support. The same part of the frame holds the control arms. I might have too look into some way of patching it up to make the car last. The first thing that will fall off is the front bumper.

For less than $500 total including the cost of the car, I should have this thing going down the road.

• 1 month later...