Looking for someone to swap a cam out for me

Bought a Delta Regrind cam and was hoping someone would swap it out for me as i am not THAT mechanically inclined to do so.

Not really looking to travel either, dogleg+stock 73 620 diff=no good in freeway

LMK what you're looking to get for the operation.

Didn't really know where to post it so thought i'd post here, sorry if it needs to be moved!

Here's a oic of the truck for the interested!

22840838.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need your lash pads to be new or "rebuilt" I think... Can you run you new cam with old lashes????

yes and no, with the cams hes got there shouldnt be any problems.

just make sure to check your rocker wipe pattern when to see if it is centered and does not extend off the rocker arm pad, should be ok but always check.

if you where running an aggressive cam it wouldnt have room to just kinda eye ball it on the wipe pattern

hey ive got a l20b cam ill put that can in for trade your new cam :P have some faith its an easy job all you need is 3 or 4 wrenches a torque wrennch a block of wood cut at a 45 degree feeler gauges and make sure the added lift isnt gonna knock the valves into the block. how are the valve guides and seats in the head? recent rebuild?

Hehe, thanks guys but i'd rather have someone who has done it have at it. :P

Specs are 440lift, 260 duration. 109Lobe center has "260" engraved on it and "742" in yellow grease pen at the end of it, bought it used by the way.

Called Delta the day i received it and they said it was a very mild cam for a 4Cylinder L-Series.

I'm not sure when on the condition of the head but the whole block is a replacement (M2 Block) so the head may have been rebuilt recently, but i do have a Closed Chamber Peanut head that has been recently rebuilt however i don't really want to change out the whole head at the moment since i'm trying to save it for a L20B that my brother and i are building.

Hehe, thanks guys but i'd rather have someone who has done it have at it. :P

Specs are 440lift, 260 duration. 109Lobe center has "260" engraved on it and "742" in yellow grease pen at the end of it, bought it used by the way.

Called Delta the day i received it and they said it was a very mild cam for a 4Cylinder L-Series.

I'm not sure when on the condition of the head but the whole block is a replacement (M2 Block) so the head may have been rebuilt recently, but i do have a Closed Chamber Peanut head that has been recently rebuilt however i don't really want to change out the whole head at the moment since i'm trying to save it for a L20B that my brother and i are building.

RACE YAH!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

I know about that "block", I had it for a while... :P

Nobody willing to help out a fellow ratsunner? :(

I have someone here that would do it for ya. But it won't be free. He would have to drive from Lake Elsinore. So I don't think a free lunch is gonna do it.

You want me to ask him how much?

Will treat to lunch as well.... :)

Change that to "lunch + 12 pack of beer of your choice" and you might get some different responses :lol:

There's gotta be some local OC guys near you who can stop by for a cam swap and a 12 pack. Patience...

When you do get someone to help out, do the job yourself with their guidance- that way you can handle it the next time! :thumbup:

LMK what you're looking to get for the operation.

Never implied i wanted it done for free. :P

Yeah go ahead and ask him, and hopefully it's reasonable. :)

I have all intentions of learning the process while it's being done. Hehe.

It only "sounds" like it's about to blow up. It's nothing. The L 16 can run at 6K all day no problem. You cannot hurt them as long as it has oil and water in them.

A 6:00X14 tire with stock 4.88 rear end and in 4th gear 1 to 1 I get 73 MPH on the highway at 5000 rpms

All the above but using the doglegs 0.854 over drive I get 85 MPH at 5000 rpms.

If you have larger diameter tires you are going even faster than that.

So, either your tach is in error (likely), you aren't in 5th (not so likely) or everyone is going 90mph or faster. (very unlikely)

Gear ratio (4.88:1) plus dogleg 5th (0.854:1) on "stock-ish" height tires = 3328 RPM @ 60. Your tach is reading wrong or the speedo is off and everyone else is doing 90. You'd have to be doing 90 to hit 5K on a tach with that setup, unless you have extremely small tires.

I drove cross-State in a 4-speed truck doing 75-80. Even with 4.38 rears, that's turning higher RPMs than a 4.88 + Dogleg. Other than making my ears ring for days (350 miles each way) it didn't hurt anything. L-series can handle that RPM. These aren't V-8s. I've gotten close to hurting my Chevy because I've gotten used to 3500+ RPMs to being "Normal", and my Chevy is geared in a way that it redlines at 67MPH. Safe zone is well below that. If you're used to driving post-1990 cars with factory overdrives and final drive ratios in the low 3s, you'd get used to 2000-2500 being a normal freeway sound, so Datsuns sound like they're ready to fly apart.

But, you're not the first person to claim they're revved out at 60 or so, hitting 5K. Don't know what to say, I drove my Mom's '73 with 4.88s all over the place as a teenager, and the tach never went over 4500 on the freeway. The steering was scary loose by then, mostly the tall bias ply tires, and I was risking speeding tickets. That was 70MPH. So unless there's a rash of folks finding rock-crawler 5.xxx rear gears down in Cali, there's something weird in the setup.

Never implied i wanted it done for free. :P

Yeah go ahead and ask him, and hopefully it's reasonable. :)

I have all intentions of learning the process while it's being done. Hehe.

That's not what I was trying to say. I guess you took it wrong.

Anyway there is no reason you can't drive that truck on the fwy. I run my wagon at 70+ on the fwy everytime I drive it. But I don't have a tach. so I have no idea what rpm's I'm running.

If you come out here it will be $250.00 if he drives to you $500.00 Sounds like alot to me. But I guess any shop you take it to would be about the same. I don't know.

Let me know what you think.

Local shop here is charging me 175 but won't let me watch them change it.

I have a electronic tach off a MG IIRC, Veglia or something like that reads fine at low rpms not sure if it's 100% at higher rpms.

Not sure what's wrong with the truck but it has plenty of power in fifth on the hwy but don't want to push it and end up having to rebuild it.. as it's my one and only Daily Driver at the moment since my civic took a dump.

I've driven it plenty on the freeway but don't feel comfortable doing it.