Electric fan questions

My water pump went out on my 510 this week and I was thinking of changing over to an electric fan while I had the cooling system apart. What I would like to know is if the radiator probe temp senders work well or should I use one in the water jacket? And is there’s any difference in efficacy with the pusher vs. puller setups?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The radiator temperature probe with the little pot box work well for on street only. If playing in snow, watch the guage, prepare for overheating. Did this while plowing through berms with the D21. With snow packed in the radiator, it stays cool enough to not switch the pot box and turn the fan on. Luckily caught it before it went full red and started boiling water.

Also, when you go through a mud bog, that forever fucks the pot box. It will never work again even if you take it apart and clean it.

What does work amazingly well though, is an '84 Maxima fan switch. You can find these new or in the wrecking yard. They're in the upper radiator edge on the Maxima, turn off at roughly 185 and turn on at 195. Bulletproof big brass 16x1.5 thread two wire. Even though you can get them new, most work forever and were still working before the '84 Maxima ended up in pull and save.

This is what I have on my 510. I just carefully hogged out the existing port, and re-tapped the aluminum. If hooking up with multiple outlets, you might consider having a piece of aluminum welded on and then making another hole. I have three sensors in my water outlet for the fan, temperature guage, and ECU temp sensor.

These are the only type I would use in future. I'll be redoing the D21 soon, probably when I yank the motor.

I have installed a 12 inch fan installed with manual switch, thinking on making it auto. The fan I used was a universal A/C fan, which is like 2 inches tall. It keeps my car just right before the dot when in traffic and almost 35° outside.

Just a word of caution, those radiator probes are great, but like it has been previously stated the control pots with a relay can give out or burn up, so it is always good to run a toggle switch as a back up as well.

That's a good call, the relay came with an additional override wire for cars with AC, I will hook that up to a 12V switch in dash.