Here's an oddball project! My future DD Maxima!

RacnJsn95

Well I bought another car today... I'm hoping one (some) of you guys will be able to give some insight on how to get it running right... It's an 82 Maxima Diesel. Yes, it's got the LD28 engine in it. I'll get to it's problem in a minute...

My original plan for this was use it as the donor vehicle for my "Ultimate Dream Ratsun". To build a 240/280z with an LD28(t)... Upon reaching my destination and seeing the condition of the car I can't bring myself to tear it apart. The body, and interior of the car is pristine! All the options, power everything, A/C even that bitchy voice that tells you when your fuel is low, lights are on, etc LOL! It's an Auto. It's even got an R180 in the rear, which surprised me!

It runs, but it it's got this excessive smoking problem... The PO made a post on the NissanDiesel forums, but never acted upon any of the advice given, just let it sit... Here is the post: http://nissandiesel....opic.php?t=1607. I'll be bringing it home this weekend, and I guess I'll start by looking at the injector pump timing marks, and belt to see if it's off at all...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a sentra diesal for sale on craigslist atlanta.i didn't know it existed! no pictures and he want 2500. i have always thought a max would be cool for the bio-fuel. i just want the 720 king cab and make a cool mini truck running on grease. maybe someday. i'd say keep it nice as possible cuz they are hard to find. i acaully have dreamed up a diesal 240z also in the past.

I've done some reasearch, and checked the car out last night, and the timing is deffinitely off! Looks like the mechanic that worked on it, set it off the marks for an LD20 engine instead of the LD28...

Here is the new thread I started about it: http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=1681, and you can see that the timing is clearly wrong in the picture I took. I'm gonna start taking stuff apart tonight, and hopefully finish it this weekend.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like.

1087584514759_jy_car1.jpg

1085549510152_front_interior.jpg

I wish you could edit posts later... I hate that it won't let you... Anyway, here's an update on the D-Max (I came up with that myself ;)). I reset the injector timing, as the mechanic that had worked on it had it set for an LD20, not the LD28. It fires up and runs now, but there's lots of white smoke... I think I may have the injector pump belt off by a tooth, I'll have to investigate. I'll deffinitely need to replace the glow plugs, it seems as the majority must be burnt out... Here are some pictures of the actual car in all it's glory.

12_14_07051.jpg

12_14_07052.jpg

And the all mighty LD28 diesel engine!

12_14_07050.jpg

I have a fondness for the Maxima. There was one in the local yard and saw it every time I was up there. When it went on the pile I scrounges as many parts as I could off of it. (sigh) Can't save everything. It was an '84 'goon. Sweet cars. Even had a DATSUN emblem on the back, as well as a NISSAN. (one of the last cars to do so)

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd do an update on this. The timing mark on the crankshaft isn't really there anymore, so I'm having trouble getting the injector pump timed right. I think I have it pretty close now though, it starts up pretty easy, and idles/runs ok. There's much less smoke , but I don't think I can safely drive it without getting a "too much polution ticket" if you know what I mean? I need to find a diesel timing tool so I can get it right, and see if the engine needs help, or if it's just the timing thats still the issue.

The recommended tool I need is the Kent Moore Tach-n-time j-33300 (two recently appeared on ebay for the first time since I've been watching, I may try to buy one), a Snap-On MT-247, or possibly a DTi Tech-Time. So if you guys could keep an eye out for a sweet deal on either of these I would appreciate it so I can get this beast to be a DD quality driver!

If I ever get it running, and someone crashes into it, I'll jerk the engine out and put it in a Z car! But for now, it's so nice, with pretty much every option I could ever want, I'll just rock it how it is.

From reading what others are getting for mileage on the nissan diesel site, people are averaging 25-30 in town with the L371b (No OD, w/ Lock up converter) auto trans, that my car has. I'm setting the bar low at ~25mpg, that way if it's better I'll be happy.

I probably wouldn't have bought it if it weren't a diesel. Some people have retro-fitted the turbo stuff from the 280zx turbo, and have had good results. I have about 80-90% of the stuff to do it, but I just want to get it running how it is.

• 4 months later...

Well if it's not one thing it's another, huh? I eventually got my Tach-N-time, and got the injector pump timing set. Put the accessories back on this weekend, (the A/C even blows cold :D) and it seems to run right now without excess smoke! So I go to try and register it so I can start driving it as a DD, but the DMV wouldn't let me! ARGH! Because the seller didn't put a vin number, or plate numbers on the bill of sale he wrote me, they lady wouldn't do it because it wasn't a proper bill of sale. Even though we both signed it, and it describes the car as an 82 Datsun Maxima, the lady said "Do you know how many 82 Datsun Maxima's are out there?" Even though I have the title and every thing... Maybe I should try to catch a different DMV employee next time? Geez.

So the lady gave me his last known address, and he is no longer there... I'm trying to decide what I should do about this... If you know what I mean? :mellow:

Well if it's not one thing it's another, huh? I eventually got my Tach-N-time, and got the injector pump timing set. Put the accessories back on this weekend, (the A/C even blows cold :D) and it seems to run right now without excess smoke! So I go to try and register it so I can start driving it as a DD, but the DMV wouldn't let me! ARGH! Because the seller didn't put a vin number, or plate numbers on the bill of sale he wrote me, they lady wouldn't do it because it wasn't a proper bill of sale. Even though we both signed it, and it describes the car as an 82 Datsun Maxima, the lady said "Do you know how many 82 Datsun Maxima's are out there?" Even though I have the title and every thing... Maybe I should try to catch a different DMV employee next time? Geez.

So the lady gave me his last known address, and he is no longer there... I'm trying to decide what I should do about this... If you know what I mean? :mellow:

Put a lien on it. $65 and 15 days later it is yours. I've had to do it on two of the 510's i've owned. Its even easier if you know the guy doesn't live there any more. PM me about it if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it taken care of :) Got a nicer DMV lady on Friday, and it's now registered and tagged! If I remember right I put about 4 gallons in the car about 6 months ago, and I imagine I've burned some of it up driving it in the yard and test driving it. I filled it up and it took 8.5 gallons, so I'm thinking a fill is around 13 gallons. So far I've gone 100 miles on the first 1/4 tank.

My cousin and I drove it to Walmart, and laughed all the way there! I imagine there was quite a bit of build up from the extreme smoking problem it was having when I got it. There was a giant cloud of smoke that followed us all the way to Walmart. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard while driving! But it's cleared up now. Everything seems to work, nice cold a/c, cruise control, etc... It's a sweet ride.

I think the next thing to do on this beast is to buff the paint out, and rig up a tach, and see if I can override the torque converter lock up because it comes on way too soon, aside from that, it's pretty rad.

Pretty sure you would have to take it apart to disable or change the setting. Maybe a stronger or weaker spring in the lock up control valve and you could go another 10MPH faster before lock up. It's a diesel so it has plenty of torque? Find a 280zx turbo exhaust manifold for it and run a turbo. Diesels love to be turbo'd.

I would like to see somebody photo shop a set of older jdm custom wheels onto this car. Pic a wheel that we didnt get in the states or was a very rare wheel. I think this car could look really good with wheels.

And i second the idea of the turbo.

Diesel's really like the boost.

Jason

G'day. In Australia we have been setting up a simple lpg mixer setup for turbo diesels that only applies the lpg under boost. It dramatically increases power and you only have to run a small scuba style tank for it and you turn it in when you need it. It's mainly for towing purposes with heavy loads but even with a D40 Navara twin cab and no load it makes a considerable difference.

Thanks for the replies everyone :) I'm hoping within the next week or two I can find time to buff the paint out, and I'll take some new pictures of it. As for the preliminary gas mileage results I drove 112 miles / 4.05 gallons of fuel = 27.65mpg in town. Seems like the more I drive it the better it runs, and the more stuff starts working on it :P

As far as turboing it goes... I have the manifold and the turbo already, but I really dont want to put it in this car, because I don't trust the auto, and I think it's too much work... I'm still secretly hoping that someone will smash into the side of it, and I'll take everything out and put it in a Z car, then add the turbo (and a manual trans). But for now, I'm just going to leave it alone and drive the crap out of it.

You know it's sad... I have more fun driving this around than my 04 GTO. It's super inferior in everyway, but I love driving it hahaha!

Yes, the hood ornament does say Datsun :) I'm in need of a "datsun by Nissan" trunk emblem if anyone comes across one in decent shape too...

Would anyone happen to have info (manual, schematics, etc) on the Datsun auto trans with a lock up converter, so I can see how to change when it kicks in... Supposedly it's all hydraulically controlled, so I'm thinking maybe a restrictor in the line for the lock up will delay it.