Some Datsun rally testing

I realized I never introduced myself, so here's a quicky. Hi, I'm Ben, and I love rally. And Datsun's. I live in Utah, and my 210 is the first Datsun I've ever owned, and I just bought it about four months ago, and irritatingly enough, have had to go through and fix a lot of Mr. Previous Owner's mistakes. But it's made me very familiar with the car, and it's simplicity, which is a good thing. Glass half full, right? Anyway, it's sporting a KA24e with sidedrafts, 1983 200SX rear end, and a '86 200SX front end. The trans recently lost 5th gear, so that's gonna get changed out soon, plus I may as well put a race clutch and lw flywheel in while I'm at it. It is a rally car, after all.

On Sunday, I was out playing around in the car, and found this excellent little dead end road that had almost everything you could ask for in a rally test road. Anywho, it had elevation change, was very narrow, rough enough to put the suspension through some rigors, and twisty enough to keep you busy. The only down side, which isn't really a downside, but rather just a different surface than I'm used to, is that it was really hard packed dirt, so it was extremely grippy. Like I said, not a bad thing, just something I'm not used to. But that also makes it far more forgiving, which I like. A lot.

I'll stop rambling, here's the videos. I screwed up in the second one and braked when I should have gassed, but that happens... No damage other than bending the license plate, so it's okay, everybody just chill! :)

Btw, if anyone has a 79 210 sedan windshield, I could use a spare...

Anyway, enjoy!

Rooftop view:

Front wheel view:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the mudflaps, I used angle aluminum and screwed or bolted (depending on access) the outside portions. The inside portion of the flaps in the wheel wells, I just screwed the flaps straight to the wheel wells. But if you install them, make sure you over-drill the holes on the flaps and put washers on the screws and bolts, because that lets it flex some with temp changes and in case they catch something, maybe they won't tear the screw or bolts out that are holding the flaps on.

Here's the flaps I used if anyone wants to do something similar, I just cut them to the size I wanted them, (I'd recommend the use of a table saw or some such accurat-ish instrument for cutting them, though):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUD-FLAP-SET-2-24-X-30-RED-POLY-PLAIN-4-HOLE-MNT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eaf6d65f4QQitemZ200511677940QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts#ht_1977wt_802

As for rallying, the High Desert Trails rally is somewhere mid-Cali, I think. Here' the link for that one, then there's the North Nevada Rally, which I plan on running next year (hope it happens, anyway) and that's in Lovelock, NV, probably a three hour drive into NV.

Wow, it's like Ratsun knew I was getting down and out about not having my 510 rally-car-to-be ready and not one but two threads were posted up to keep the dream alive! Sweet 210, I feel sooo much better now! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...