lsd in a 620

chester

Alright i have searched on the site and all over the web and couldn't find the info i am looking for. my question is would a lsd assembly out of a pathfinder work in the rear end of a 620 or would i have to swap out rear ends and would that work. i also found a locker for a 720 4x4 would that be better? thanks for the help

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The WD-21 and D-21 use an H-233 rear diff. The Pathfinder is a 5 link coil spring while the Hardbody is leaf spring. Internally the same. The H-233 comes in 4.375 and 4.625 ratio, is available with LSD and the Pathfinder available with rear disc brakes. Both are about 150" between rims so 1 1/2 to 2" per side wider than a 620. The '95 and on have a different spline count and axles will not swap with newer diffs.

31 spline Pathfinder axles vs. 720/620/521 29 splined axles.

720stuff020Large.jpg

I toyed with this idea. All I found locally was a WD-21 axle so I cut all the coil and link mounts off of it and planned to weld leaf spring perches on later.

Pathfinder--D-21conversion031Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion035Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion045Large.jpg

H-233 4.625 LSD diff. This ring gear is larger than the Ford 9"!!! The early ones have a 185 ft. lb. breakaway torque. Later 2003 Frontiers are 29 ft. lb. (why even bother????) Soccer moms complaining about wheel chatter turning around in the parking lot I bet.

Pathfinder--D-21conversion027Large.jpg

The lSD can be disassembled and spacer/clutch discs added or removed to tailor the breakaway force.

diffPathfinderLSDclutchpack10Large.jpg

H-233discbrake002Large.jpg

...... i also found a locker for a 720 4x4 would that be better? thanks for the help

The diffs used on all 4X4s after '83 with the Z24 motor were C-200s so the whole axle would need changing.

Check out the '88- 01'92 2wd D-21 with Z24i or KA24E motor. They used an H-190 rear diff and there was an LSD option for them. Gears are limited to 3.545 and 3.70 ratios but they could likely be swapped. Dealer cost for the LSD unit (only) is $1,500, ouch. If looking for one at the wreckers look on the bum of the diff for an orange sticker that says LSD or LSD OIL ONLY

Pathfinder--D-21conversion034Large.jpg

Pathfinder--D-21conversion039Large.jpg

Take a rag to wipe the grease off with and..... good luck.

All 2wd 720s and 4X4s till '83(ish) used the H-190. There were no factory LSDs till the Hardbody. Nissan did make a clutch LSD for the Roadster H-190 but used are something like $1,200 even if you find one. After market are about $600 and up.

pffft... your ass lives in gem county.. everyone and their dog prolly has a welded rearend... lol

the only other cheap posi you could find would be in an s10 rear...

an s10 rear will bolt into a 620 no prob. had one in the 74 that had the buick v6. youll have to get a driveline made, and itll be chevy 5 lug in the back. but if i remember right the drum to drum is almost the same for the stock rear and the s10 axle.

you can get a s10 rear for free prolly.. get a posi off ebay for like 50 bux... bam good to go.

If we are going to start throwing out random rears, For super cheap, I'd vote Ford Ranger 7.5". One axle housing is shorter than the other, so if you wanted to narrow it, you'd only have to narrow one side of the tube and use a short shaft from another one. LSD units are available for $200.00. You would also be half way done to having the best bolt pattern ever 5x4.5. I'd say $300 and you'd be done.

For not so cheap, my vote goes for the Ford 8.8 out of an explorer. Probably wider than you want, but it can be narrowed, and if you find the correct one, will have Ford's Trac Loc system already installed, and you still would be half way to the best bolt pattern ever 5X4.5. Figure to spend $300 on just the rear, and narrowing one ususally runs $600.00

Read all about it:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.html

• Like 1

There was an optional H-190 LSD for the '88-'92 (in or about) Hardbody when equipped with the Z24i or KA24E. Only the 4 cylinder got the H-190 I think. 4X4 4 cyl got the C-200. Buty if you check the 2wd 4 cyl you may find one. There is nothing on the engine tag under the hood, you have tio wipe the grease off the very back of the differential 'bum'. There will be a stamp size orange sticker that says LSD or LSD OIL ONLY.

Now having said all this I don't know what axle spline is used or if the drive shaft yoke will be the same size as the earlier 620/720 2wd. Also the gear ratios aren't great. You could maybe adapt to an earlier carrier if, that is, if you can find one.

There was an optional H-190 LSD for the '88-'92 (in or about) Hardbody when equipped with the Z24i or KA24E. Only the 4 cylinder got the H-190 I think. 4X4 4 cyl got the C-200. Buty if you check the 2wd 4 cyl you may find one. There is nothing on the engine tag under the hood, you have tio wipe the grease off the very back of the differential 'bum'. There will be a stamp size orange sticker that says LSD or LSD OIL ONLY.

Now having said all this I don't know what axle spline is used or if the drive shaft yoke will be the same size as the earlier 620/720 2wd. Also the gear ratios aren't great. You could maybe adapt to an earlier carrier if, that is, if you can find one.

what's the matter with this option? the axle spline? is there any resource to verify this? what kind of ratios we looking at? i'm not super picky..

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

adding to the thread resurrection. .

so I see that a pathfinder rear end has an LSD, but is 1.5-2" per side too wide. So has anyone done this? The pics seem to indicate that someone was going to try it but no pics installed, that seems like a rediculous amount of extra width. . does it need to be narrowed? how crazy, and labor intensive is narrowing it?

finding a newer model hardbody would be next to impossible around here, however I do see the odd pathfinder so think it would be a locally found option for me

I'm looking into planting some more power to the ground and LSD is basically the only valid option for me, I have read other threads talking about previous companies making LSD's but not anymore, so anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!

The Pathfinder axle is coil spring and 5 link so that will need to be trimmed off and leaf spring mounts welded on.... OR use the Hardbody axle that's already leaf spring.

Both are 1 1/2 to 2 inch wider on each side so there's that.

The U joint is also huge and won't match the 620 drive shaft.

a cheap lsd is the chevy s10 rear...

i put on in my 74 620 that i had the buick v6 in...

AN S10 REAREND WILL BOLT INTO A 620... the leaf perches on an s10 rear compared to a 620 are a 1/4in off. makes that 1/8in on each side.

you can find posis all day long for the 7.5 chevy rear... yeah youll have 5 lug in the back, and you have to make a custom driveline...

the s10 rear ive personally witness hold a sold 425 horse 327 luv... had no problems with it.. should be no problem with most nissan powerplants

another okay thing about em is they come in 3.73 4.10 and 4.56 gears if need be... so still close enough to use with a 4 banger...

• 4 months later...

The U joint is also huge and won't match the 620 drive shaft.

That's a simple fix, un-bolt the piece the U-joint attaches to, and replace it with one from a 4.11. It's shorter and has the correct bolt pattern, this also gets rid of the need for a new driveline!