Best nissan engine?

kmc63

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no experiance with a na 2.6 all my g54b's are turbo all the na 2.6 I have driven in where not impressive .

how is your ne g54 putting out so much hp ? Hks's destroked 2.3 twin cam g54 b only made like 235 . Not knockibg your build just trying to understand. Even my 2.6 with a big 16g was only making. Around 250hp 300 torque . How high does your 2.8 rev? I was reving mine to 7.

They are certainly not impressive in stock form but did have excellent torque for a small motor. Much better than a stock L motor. Everyone knows torque is what gets you down the road. Opening these up to breath (extensive headwork) makes these motors come alive. Of course, many other supporting MODS were made. I have a C2 Procharger blowing through an intercooler and through a 38MM Weber Outlaw (426 CFM). It has been built to withstand the pressure. That was a very expensive instant 60 HP....I don't recommend going this route. If I were to do it again it would be a turbo build.

I have a full write up of my build (changed many times) to get the best set-up and I'll dig it up and get it out to you via PM. I have lightened the flywheel and crank pulley and rotated the entire balance assembly. I will redline around 8 and it will get there in a hurry. I've got 10k just in machine and mechanical work. The design was the hardest part to get right and I went through many head combinations etc. I have 9:5:1 compression and did not build the block for a turbo. I don't have the oil squirters. I built it for a supercharger and the design was much like how you would build a big block. Some of the Conquest guys are getting 500+ HP out of these and they idle and drive like thier mothers cadillac. 350+ is usually the norm though if you have the dough to spend. Hell, the 89 Conquest if I remember right had 189/220 out of the box and it doesnt take much to hit 250+ if you build it correctly.

I will send you my build specs. Again on the weight...do you know the difference?

Sorry to thread jack so back on topic...My vote is between the KA and SR. KA for pure reliability and easy MODDING plus good MPG. The SR for MODDING (crazy power) and the reliability if you do MOD correctly.

I gotta say, the L and A series both seem to be the best Nissan engines IMO. Maybe no the most powerful stock, but great running engines and very forgiving for those who make a mistake. They are champs and take a lot of abuse. Mine had a blown head gasket and never showed a symptom. Didn't even know until I pulled the head. Ran a compression test a week ago and it's averaging 50PSI and runs better then before.

I like the VG30 with a supercharger idea. Dead reliable if you dont go for huge HP numbers, no lag and if you use a paxton style it will all fit under the hood... if you use an ET or DETT youve got the internals taken care of already.

You can have speed, reliability, and cheapness, but only two at the same time. Also see: "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" The best motor is the one that does the best for you. Do you want economy? Build an economical motor. Want speed? Build a 36 psi turbocharged monster. Hell, as horrible as this sounds, I'd take the new Ford V6 that makes 305 hp in any one of my Datsuns or Nissans. But this is about the best Nissan engine.

Given my budget, I'd go with affordability. KA, L, Z, or VG are the options. The VG will cost more to build than the 4 cylinders by at least 2-300 dollars. That said, they're still cheap in the grand scheme of things. A 510 with a VG will move along just fine.

And Datzenmike, I'd have to disagree, a 150hp 510 is not scary. It can be driven scary, but I'm not going to start wetting my pants until the power overcomes the brakes. Hell, I'd stick 1000 hp in a 510 if I could figure out a way to get it to hold together. (Tube frame and associated race stuff) That would also assume my ability to afford a 1000 hp motor, which I can't. :D

Here's what I did: My first motor in my first ever 510 was put together fairly well, but I didn't know dink about carbs at that point, so it ran lean and detonated under load. I also didn't port match the intake, which led to continual problems of tuning, which I never realized until long after I had sold it and built a few more motors. And even before that, I overheated it and fucked up the piston and scored the cylinder wall, so when I say build a shit motor first, I mean exactly that. Of course I ignored that advice from everyone and in the end the result was the same, it just cost me a lot more money. :)

Build an L to do what you want. Use the mistakes building that L to build another better motor in the future.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/4326608395_b7dc4d89d8_o.jpg

every one said this would happen to this car when it was being built

^^^ Doesn't the chances of a wreck increase anytime you put anymore power into any engine with attempting to test it often on occasion with performance on da mind ?

:lol:

was cool looking though ^^^ :D ( while it lasted :blink: )

true !

:thumbup: ... ;)

If I owned that dime ,,,,,, I would hoard it for myself in the garage ( friends, family welcome ) ,,,,, drive only in summer :sneaky:

of course ,,,,,,,,,, chances are I might just wrap it around a telephone poll going out of the neighbor hood :lol:

What he said

605494_number_1_-_finger_pointing_up_with_clipping_path.jpg

:lol:

Both of you, NO MORE OPINIONS FOR YOU!!!! :P Sucks for that RB swap, that was a pretty car. But you don't need an RB to do that. Hell, an L16 can get you into plenty of trouble. Just depends on how close to the line you go!

I think my time on here makes up for NOT being able to tell customers what I really think at NAPA. "I'm sorry, you're stupid and you shouldn't be working on your own vehicle. No really, gtfo, go buy a Yugo, that's the car for YOU!" :D

Seriously, had a guy come in today with a 5 series BMW. Nice car, needed some oil. Calls for synthetic. John sold him some that was like 7 bucks a quart. Good stuff, worthy of BMW, and the guy starts bitching about the price. Anyway, he buys the oil, I watch him go out, pop the hood. He comes back in 2 minutes later. "Can you show me where to add oil?" Fuuuuuuuccccccckkkk! MORONS ALL DAY LONG!!! I swear it's getting as bad as Autozone. Oh, and we had Jabba the hutt in the store today too. Seriously the dude was an EASY 650 pounds. No shit. Wait, no, lots of shit. Lots and lots and the whole sales floor had a funk after he left, had to open the doors. Jeezus, I don't know how he walked in under his own strength. Should have just requested we lift him with the fork truck through the bay door in the back!

That's how I really feel. :lol: