Brian D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Started the 720 suspension swap last Saturday night with the help of my friend mike.everything has gone pretty smooth so far. All that we have left to do isodify the sway bar. I will be changing to hardbody calipers and rotor in the future.

f33fd8e8.jpg

f3238554.jpg

cf76d279.jpg

• Like 1

So you are using drop spindles(hardbody?) with a stock LCA from a 720, don't know what the calipers are, but you say your going to go with hardbody in the future(dual piston?), what did you do about the slop when you mounted the 720 LCAs, new bushings or washers? Did you have to modify the front strut mounts and the bushings to fit, or you make new mounts that are bigger? I tried the 720 stuff, it wouldn't fit, so I used the 620 strut bars and bushings as they were smaller bars and bushings and will just fit in there without mods. Does the drop spindle keep you from using the stock wheels? I am using hardbody dual piston 4X4 calipers, 85 720 vented rotors, 81-82 2WD 720 hubs, forgot to ask what the spindles were off of, but I suspect mid 80s 720, but might be hardbody, and stock 79 620 steel wheels with 620 hubcaps, the hardbody/late 720 hubs would not except the steel wheels unless they were modified, it was just easier to swap out the hubs. I would be very interested in how it steers and drives on the hiway, my truck drove like shit when I first put the disc brakes(620 type) on it, but I finally figured it out after like 2 years of playing with it, and it was such an easy fix, but I had no help, as it was about the year 2003-4, way before Ratsun or my computer affliction I have now, but it is an informative affliction.

I am going to swap out the spindles, caliper and rotor for hardbody later on. As of now everything is stock 720 minus the upper control arm in which I bought from Beebani. For the mounting on the lca's i used a set of energy suspension bushings from a 720. No slop in fitment to frame or lca. I had to use the 520 sway bar and modify it. I will have pics up as soon as my friend mike finishes welding on the new tabs. I was able to bolt on the 720 strut rods by modifying the stock 720 bushings and drilling out the mounting holes to accommodate the 720 strut rod. I have more total steering travel and everything looks good on the alignment rack. I have to notch the rear and put some new tires on it. Once that is done i will drive it and let everyone know how it drives. Also i am looking to swap out the third member for a better gear ratio for higher speed. Any suggestions for the ratio with my 4 spd and j15. Please let me know of you have one that you want to get rid of

What gearing you have now, stock 488s? what you can run depends on what you are going to use the truck for, if you are going to treat it like a car, no real truck use, you might get away with 389s, but you could stuggle getting it going under certain circumstances, not sure on the hiway, but I have 389s in the NL320 with a E1(1200) block, but it is a smaller vehicle, I would use 437s if you do any hauling, and 411s might be the best all around compromise, if your doing mostly city driving though, and want some pep off the line, 437s are what you want, 70mph is about 4000rpms, and that is nothing to a J block as far as I know, but that might be an A block I am thinking about.

Subscribed!

Hopefully I'm picking my "new" '67 up this coming Wednesday!

edit: I did go get it today....there are a lot of pro's and con's to this truck....I'll start a thread and look for some advice.

But....just so ya'll know.....I would dig making it look as good as Brian D's!

• 1 year later...