1967 520 Build

Brian D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it in this weekend. Dropped in and fired right up after I swapped the carb. I found out that the head is shaved and it has a rv cam also. I drives so nice now, a little more pep for sure. I would take a video but have no video camera.

Datsun520003.jpg

Datsun520002.jpg

Datsun520001.jpg

Datsun520004.jpg

Haven't figured out the dizzy yet. I am trying to figure out my cheapest, yet best solution. The paint is a aluminum colored exhaust ceramic paint out of a can. I got it at napa, it says flameproof in big letters on it. This weekend I am doing a brake upgrade w/o doing discs. Should be almost the same stoping power for about $80. I will keep everyone posted. I am also doing the kingpins at the same time.

My points shit out on me yesterday on a parts run for work. Cost me 2 hrs of my time which I don't have. I went and got the Pertronixs Kit today along with the coil. Wow what a difference that made. It is like having a new truck. I can say in the last week with the engine swap I am much happier, along with the electronic ignition. Truck runs amazing and now I have some power. I got parts from summit today, so I will be working on brake upgrade this weekend

• 1 month later...

A couple of weeks ago I did my brake upgrade. I ordered up a 1" bore wilwood master cylinder from summit. I am more than impressed with the results. My master was shot and it was $55 shipped for a new one, my wilwood cost me $80. For everybody that doesn't have the money for the disc upgrade this is a great option.

Datsun521016.jpg

Datsun521014.jpg

• 6 months later...

Anything new on this? I see it when I cut through the parking lot on my way to Lupe's.

My brother did a 521 a few years ago that had a J15. We used an A14 carb with a homemade adapter. The electric choke was a nice upgrade and it ran well. Wish it would have gotten the Pertronix kit. The one day I borrowed it for work the points burned up. Go figure. His thread here:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/4110-1968-520/

The sale ad:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/5077-you-must-have-this-68-pl520/

Looks like a bunch of his pic links are bad now.

On Monday I went and picked up my new bed and decided to start going moar lowar. I was able to move the front leaf hanger up 2" and gain my desired drop. I am going to have to notch the frame next week to gain a little clearance. I now have a total of around 7 to 7.5 in of drop in the rear. I was also about to adjust my pinion angle by doing this.

acc4bb2a.jpg

443ea86e.jpg

01dfc8b2.jpg

Frame integrity is not compromised. Also I am going to do 2x3 box for the rear and adjust rear accordingly to achieve pinion angle. Inside the frame is braced also. Believe it or not this isn't my first rodeo. I have been modifying frames for lowered suspension for a while. Check out my 521 build thread. Me and my buddies build some of the finest minitrucks in the country

Ride isn't too bad. Getting it set where I want it then will go and figure out my shocks that I will use. I am getting excited because after suspension and wheels and tires i will be two doors a hood away from sending it off to paint and body

Ride isn't too bad. Getting it set where I want it then will go and figure out my shocks that I will use. I am getting excited because after suspension and wheels and tires i will be two doors a hood away from sending it off to paint and body

To me the ride is everything, I won't drive it if it sucks.