Doubling up on gaskets

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't understand why you want to run two gaskets. You do realize that most of the automotive world only runs one,right?? If you torque the bolts down properly you shouldn't have any problems with leakage. Do you need to have the head surfaced at the intake/exhaust area?

Jester

kindof an old school CHEAP trick. Works best on crossflow heads (2x exhaust only) and with header gaskets.

What you need to do is have the flanges milled flat. you know....do it theRIGHT way. REMEMBER exhaist leak is MUCH better than an intake leak. err on the side of caution

Guest DatsuNoob

My header's washer flange (the nub that is welded on to fill the gap for those clamp down washer disc thingies) wasn't the same height as the intake. So I had to use a couple washers behind it, then it didn't leak. One gasket should be fine, but I would recheck tightness periodically as these things heat up, expand/contract and all that good stuff.

this is on his other 620 which is L-powered. Every single header I have ever seen on an L-motor has leaked and a coupole of them were running double gaskets. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt, in my friend Seths case he would blow the gasket out all the time. So, get it milled flat and run it for a bit but I bet it WILL leak again. peace.

Yea this is for the L powered truck I should have stated that earlier. But the Flange is the same thickness as the Intake I checked and it has the little tabs already welded to it. I was just curious to how effective this doubling up thing was.

I guess it doesnt hurt to try.

I think it would leak water if the water passages are still there.water leak inbetween the 2 gaskets esp when it gets hot.

Im a big fan of the stock L16 exhaust manifolds myself.

I have a short tube header waiting to go on one day and always ? if this would happen. But 2 popel have bought the short tube headers and had no proplems.

In my experience headers don't work with stock type gaskets very well- they make these extra-thick header gaskets for that purpose. But double gaskets means they'll move a lot more due to the expansion/contraction rates being different, and the gaskets will just blow out again. And again.