1970 Datsun 510 Wagon Lowering Options and Rear Setups

uieluck

seats002.jpg

17's with cut springs and 2"blocks in the rear

newbrakes005.jpg

coilover set up with 280ZX struts and brakes. Cut 1 1/2" and put jetta.

5 way luminas

newbrakes004.jpg

newbrakes003.jpg

newbrakes002.jpg

stock set up. with a cut spring. This set up sucked. The ride was shit.

Thanks Datrod for the groovy pics and the info. Your Goon is slick. BTW Where did you get your roof rack?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dw3.jpg

my vg wagon has modified 200SX front struts lowered about 2 inches, rear has 2 inch blocks with 3 degree wedges, 16 inch wheels with 205/40/16 tires. rides nice!

What modifications did you do to them? What brakes are you running?

Well , I am going to pull my 2 inch lowering blocks off my wagon.

My driveshaft is rubbing against the body.

I can't figure how to stop it from happening.

Any help?

When I get on it, it drives me crazy!

That is the only problem I have with mine!

I was thinking of cutting the block down to 1" which should stop it!

Just sick of the noise. It turn a good drive into a ^&^%& drive.

What I have noticed is the u-joint is hitting some bolts, that hold the rubber penis looking thing that stops the differential from hit the body!

Plus there is evidence that the drive shaft it hitting the body for sure!

Well , I am going to pull my 2 inch lowering blocks off my wagon.

My driveshaft is rubbing against the body.

I can't figure how to stop it from happening.

Any help?

When I get on it, it drives me crazy!

That is the only problem I have with mine!

I was thinking of cutting the block down to 1" which should stop it!

Just sick of the noise. It turn a good drive into a ^&^%& drive.

What I have noticed is the u-joint is hitting some bolts, that hold the rubber penis looking thing that stops the differential from hit the body!

Plus there is evidence that the drive shaft it hitting the body for sure!

DoctorAudio see here:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/26747-the-greengoon-build-thread/page__hl__%2Bgreen+%2Bgoon__st__20

Jester, I know that I won't be cutting my car open.

But, I may take my blocks over to a water jet machine and have them split in half.

I was also thinking, of what would two airbags do under there?

Once I figure out what I am going to do. I will let you have them for a small fee!

I am not really a low rider guy but I don't mind it if it is done right!

But I won't be cutting my car open.

When I bought my wagon the guy before had cut the springs up front and put a 3 inch block in the rear with no wedge so the diff and driveshaft smacked the body every time i started or with one person sitting in the rear. I do have a sub box in my trunk but it doesn't weigh too much. I got the front suspension setup done with Ermish coilover conversion and it is great and in the rear I have no block, flipped the bottom leaf so its stiffer and about an inch lower, and with my subs and two people in back it rarely scrapes. I also got Tokiko Blue shocks since the originals were so worn they were useless. This setup with stock everything else gives a pretty decent ride running on 16's and I only rub if I turn full lock. The rear sits pretty low and the front coils are adjustable so I can balance it out. I want to do air bags all around though so I can be sitting on the ground for shows and then be able to drive it around with no scraping problems.

When I bought my wagon the guy before had cut the springs up front and put a 3 inch block in the rear with no wedge so the diff and driveshaft smacked the body every time i started or with one person sitting in the rear. I do have a sub box in my trunk but it doesn't weigh too much. I got the front suspension setup done with Ermish coilover conversion and it is great and in the rear I have no block, flipped the bottom leaf so its stiffer and about an inch lower, and with my subs and two people in back it rarely scrapes. I also got Tokiko Blue shocks since the originals were so worn they were useless. This setup with stock everything else gives a pretty decent ride running on 16's and I only rub if I turn full lock. The rear sits pretty low and the front coils are adjustable so I can balance it out. I want to do air bags all around though so I can be sitting on the ground for shows and then be able to drive it around with no scraping problems.

Ewwww,, definitely not into bags or sub boxes in the trunk. But, to each is own. Thanks for the input, I'm more into cornering, as low as you can go,,, but yet functional. Good to see everyone has dif flavs'.

Ewwww,, definitely not into bags or sub boxes in the trunk. But, to each is own. Thanks for the input, I'm more into cornering, as low as you can go,,, but yet functional. Good to see everyone has dif flavs'.

+1: I agree on everyone likes different styles!

I have a couple questions about lowering the rear ?

1. Are all you guys using universal block sets to lower the rear if so aren't the U bolts in a universal set 3 inch ID i/2" thread size, and the stock u bolts are 2 1/2 inch 3/8" thread size?

2. What about the rubber isolator and the "for lack of a better word" cage that goes around the leaf spring were the axle mount's do you remove this to use universal block's?

3. if you don't have a spare set of leaves can you use one of the leaves out of the pack to flip on top of the stack tk de-arch the stack, and if so which would you use the shortest or the longest?

Thanks,

For you guys that run blocks all the rubber that the goon has around the leaf spring perches,and hangers is their no keep the road noise down in the car. Also if your using blocks you have to use a pinion wedge that will help keep the diff from hammering the body and correct the pinion angle.

I have a couple questions about lowering the rear ?

1. Are all you guys using universal block sets to lower the rear if so aren't the U bolts in a universal set 3 inch ID i/2" thread size, and the stock u bolts are 2 1/2 inch 5/8" thread size?

2. What about the rubber isolator and the "for lack of a better word" cage that goes around the leaf spring were the axle mount's do you remove this to use universal block's?

3. if you don't have a spare set of leaves can you use one of the leaves out of the pack to flip on top of the stack tk de-arch the stack, and if so which would you use the shortest or the longest?

Thanks,

That is what mine looked like.

img3590k.jpg

img3596h.jpg

Hope that helps some.

Doctoraudio, you need to try some new rear shocks to overcome the diff rub issue. Airshocks seem to offer some help for a 2" drop. This in no way will completly stop the problem but definatly will make it more bearable.

Since I have removed the 2" blocks and replaced them with 1" blocks, I have not had any rubbing issues at all!

I had about 320 lbs in the car and nothing.

I am going to replace the front end soon with 200SX stuff.

So that will make the front smoother. I think the springs I placed in the front maybe a little to stiff.

But it is much more livable than having torch cut springs.

I think front end is real close to being neutral!

Since I don't have the welder yet. I won't be adding any airbags to her!

I was looking at some air shocks and that looked like something I could do on my own!

• 2 weeks later...

210 spring perches/coils cot to 12inches running 200sx VG front brakes

Thanks for the info.

As to the leaf flipping to de arch your springs, you want to use the longer ones to flip. If you flip a shorter one you take a chance of bending the longer/thinner ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here decambered their leaf springs rather than using blocks? I'm looking into decambering my springs about 2inches and was wondering what would be the maximum I could get them decambered before there is any clearance issues with the diff and driveshaft. If 2inches isn't low enough, can I add a 1 inch block without issues too?

I would also have to replace the stock stocks with late 60s and early 70s camaro shocks right? any preference on which kind?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, I have gone back to my 2 inchers.

I still had driveline wrap.

Becuase I had to correct the angle.

It seems I have the tranny closer than most people.

So I took the 2inchers and cut a 1/2 inch off one side.

So it is 1 1/2 inch on one side and 2 inch on the ohterside.

Going from front to back.

Doing it this way has saved me 70 bucks in parts and borrowing a welder.

With 200 lbs in the back you can jump up and down on the bumper and no noise!

Yeah, it was that easy!