Jacob's Goon Build - Now L19 powered.

Laecaon

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

love those wheels on your goon

Me too, They are here to stay. I only know of 2 other dimes with similar wheels, Jefe de Jefes has the SSR superfins, and so does, erm, canada wagon, was at Canby...

Unless I can find some SSR Superfins... I really like those, and well flat lips...

Surprised about the number of comments regarding the carbs above...

Not 100% sure what I am doing with them, and that is because I am not 100% sure what I am doing for the intake. I do know, no weber...

Anyways, Went over to America's tires. Said I wanted some Falken 512, he was all like 90 a piece, and that will be 460 installed. I was all like please, check discounttiresdirect, he responds with, 60 a piece, and 360 installed with a warranty. Sold.

Also these are 195/50/15 on a 15x7 wheel.

So these tires have rim protectors... and well, are the exact same size as my previous tires, look like they have more stretch. Definitely clears everything in the front better...

But I have one problem, and noticed as soon a pulled away from the shop. Now on left turns I get a click sound from the front right, almost like the tire is rubbing fender, but its not. I cant find anywhere where the tire is rubbing. And it does it with just changing lanes, varies loudness most by speed, but also a bit from how much the wheel is turned. makes me think, its hub related. That brake rotor always has been a bit warped.

WP_000117.jpg

But I have one problem, and noticed as soon a pulled away from the shop. Now on left turns I get a click sound from the front right, almost like the tire is rubbing fender, but its not. I cant find anywhere where the tire is rubbing. And it does it with just changing lanes, varies loudness most by speed, but also a bit from how much the wheel is turned. makes me think, its hub related. That brake rotor always has been a bit warped.

And fixed.

Jacked the car up, looked for any signs of rubbing. Couldnt find anything. And then I saw it. Rub marks on the new tire weight! But what was the tire weight hitting? The tie rod.

I guess the real fix to this issue would be new tie rods. In time.

What was happening? Well as I turned left, the right wheel of course was always trying to return to straight. But the tie rod was their stopping it. But where was the flex coming from that only allowed the weight to hit while turning? The tie rod! it is quite old and at this point very wobbly.

So I called up the shop, told them what was going on, and they said to come on by. And that is what I did. They just had me pull straight in. And it was fixed all super fast like!

No more odd noise coming from my wheels now! Yay.

• 2 weeks later...

So I dont know what to do...

There is a guy trying to buy my weds with pretty fresh tires^

He has offered me $750, and his Konig Rewinds (which I hate but could probably sell) which have 195/70/14s (balloons! and would throw off my speedometer...)

If I did this, I could run the konigs until they sell, at which point I would run the enkeis and get new tires for them. Though Enkei 92s are not wheel I want to keep for this car.

Really I like the Weds. They are unique, everyone seems to like them. They fit well.

but at the same time, I am trying to get another car... very soon...

thank u for thinking of me and your right, the offset is perfect... i will gladly help u when it comes time to set off those centers....i had sold my truck and was ready....lol...im sure the enkies will sell fast ...they are in high demand.....is it time for more low yet...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I should have a few updates coming up. Ordered a few parts here and there, and working on a few things. Not sure why I havent been working on the door cards. Maybe its because drilling the holes to mount to the door is terrible. I want to make a tool for identifying where I need to put the holes...

Anyways, my windshield had started leaking with the Oregon rain. Thats like 2 years on a Thailand seal, and it was cracking already. No more Thailand for me. Datsunlandsocal doesnt have a good track record, and their windshield seals seem hit or miss. Australia Seals are probably very nice, but shipping would suck. So I found another company, mentioned on the Bluebird list, that makes their own molds, and they are Made in the USA. their website is http://www.vintagerubber.com/ They seem to be very nice people their. And they have seals for a few different Datsuns.

Anyways, install story:

Step one removing trim

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

Step two, cut out the old seal. There are a few ways to do this, so I didnt take pics.

Step three, place blanket on hood.

IMG_0730.JPG

Step 4, remove windshield. You will also see that I am cleaning it. At least clean the edges now.

IMG_0731.JPG

Step 5, Remove dash plates, remove old seal, clean channel

IMG_0732.JPG

Step 6, place new seal on Windshield. This can be tricky, but it will go on, Adjust corners to make it look right.

IMG_0733.JPG

Step 7, place rope/cord in under flange. Start at one side of the bottom of the windshield, go around and finish at the opposite side on the bottom. I ended up using standard speaker wire, and not this blue RCA wire.

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

Step 8, place Windshield over opening, Align so its sitting directly over where it should go. Since I am working by my self, I like to place a tire on the windshield to add some weight.

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

Step 9, start pulling the cord. You should be pulling the rubber up and over the bottom flange, You will need to apply some force with the palm of your hand. Work both ends of the cord to the bottom corners. Now while holding the windshield down, start pulling the corner rubber. Take your time, its a little tricky. After you get it around the corner, go up halfway and then do the other side. Continue up to the top corners, approach these the same. Then work your way across the top. Always apply pressure with your palm to help spread out the force. If at anytime the rubber fails to come over the flange, and you can recover it, you may have to restart. My first time I restarted 3 times. Also make sure to watch the headliner as it likes to come out with the cord.

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0741.JPG

Step 10, Wet the track with soapy water, and get the trim back in. This is no fun. And its tedious. Silicone spray seemed to help a bit, but it was still torture.

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

Finally, replace the dash plates. And clean your windshield. You may want to clean the dash out while you have the windshield out.

Been working on the SUs a bit. Cleaning mostly. Ordered some Stub stacks from the UK, they were wrong, and when I asked them to compare the parts to the stacks they had for the carb size smaller, they were the same. So then I ordered some from APT, only a couple of days ago. No idea when I will see those.

I think I am getting some dual choke cables from DTP!

And my filter, well some searching around, and I came up with this. The idea was mostly on the bluebird list, but it was along the lines of what I was thinking. Material choice, well may turn out to be a bad idea, but only time will tell.

WP_000164.jpg

WP_000165.jpg

WP_000166.jpg

WP_000176.jpg

Yes it is acrylic. Melting point is 300F. Mostly concerned with heat when I turn the car off. I think a heat shield is necessary.

• Like 1

Got all my shocks. Illuminas for the front. Part number BZ3038. These are listed for both ZX and 510 struts, 510 struts will use a spacer though. Rear I got KYB Excel-G, part number 343135. I was tempted to get some AGX for the rear but I dont know what I am doing with the rear.

Now if it wasnt so damn cold to put these on.

IMG_0744.JPG