1976 Yamaha RD400 Restoration Project

Here is the thread that I will post my progress in as my RD project goes along.

Here is what i am starting with....

20070330image0002mr8.jpg

20070330image0003yo3.jpg

Here is my VERY VERY rough seat mold...gotta lot of kinks to work out...

20070330image0004vf1.jpg

And here are the cool bits...

Frame

20080106image0001ip3.jpg

20080106image0002ik5.jpg

Swing Arm

20080106image0004di8.jpg

Rear Sets

20080106image0005is1.jpg

I'll keep posting as i keep making progress!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

well i built the whole chassis for it it has a 836 big bore kit with a megacycle cam it has a dohc swingarm which is 1 1/2 inches longer than stock, dyna ignition stainless steel drag bars and the list goes on this spring time i'll be putting these carbs on it. There mikuni 29mm smooth bore's

29MMSMOOTHBORES3.jpg

i have staring at the picture of your bike everyday! i love it. i want to build an older cafe racer looking bike. what would you guys suggest to a guy who has never rode before? of course i would just learn on it before i built it up. the RD400 looks like a good option for me. but i am partial to honda bikes for some reason.

for a first time rider a rd 400 or any two stroke street bike may be overwheliming. older hondas and yamahas make great cafes and choppers and they are inexpensive. if i was you i would definetley be looking for a xs 650 yamaha. their great bikes and the aftermarket is wonderfull for them. plus they make cool bobbers. here is 2 that i built.

aaaaa-1.jpg

good.jpg

Hainz.................No Way....One of my best race dirt bikes was a 71 DKW!!!!! (back in the day!!!) Great bike for just about any terrain (with that springer front end you could race over almost any course...No jumpin with that heavy dude though) My son Ray (Ray's 74) has the motor and stuff over at his house now...Had a sunburst head and that transmission was given a massaging by a fella local here name of Donny Emler...back 'bout 1971..(Yes boys and girls...((THAT Donny Emler) FMF!!!!! anyway, isn't it weird that we share the same ideas....(Oh and if you can find Hercules parts..they are good to go for any DKW and of course Zundapp.......Remember Jack Penton brought those motors alive in his bikes as well......

Hercules?

I thought they went with Sachs motors.Penton also. I seen one with a Sachs when I was a kid watching the partridge family.

I think they are all out of bussiness already,well at least making motors,Sach still sells bikes but not German engines I believe.

MZ (is still going I think)

The Japs took over in Europe. The Moped gangs in Germany in the 70s are all gone.

DKW clones!

a Harley Hummer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Hummer

http://www.harleyhummer.com/photos1.html

BSA Bantum and the japs made a clone also of the DKW

The Yamaha RZ/RD or precessor was a clone Of the German Adler twin 2 stroke motor.http://www.netspeed.com.au/keo/adler/1988/index.htm

Alright...so its time for an update....I haven't been working on the bike too much, i got the wheels sandblasted and got the seat/tail section in primer...thats about it. HOWEVER, i have been buying parts like mad! by the end of next week i SHOULD have all my parts in for it, which is great because i have a 4 day weekend this month to put it all together for mock up, then i will take the wheels, tail section and tank back off for paint. I have bought new chain and sprockets for it, seat pad, tail light, turn signals, handle bars, grips and throttle tube. After this round of parts,all i need is a front fender, which i haven't figured out my source on yet. the only ones i like are at motocerra.com but they are $70, so i am thinking of making my own or trying to find a metal one that i like. i also have to buy new tires for it so Hainz...what do you run on your bikes? im not finding too much in the 18" size! thanks!

hainz, that site is amazing! thanks for the link! if my rubber parts don't clean up well, at least i know now where to get replacements. i didnt see any fenders there though, but thanks for the heads up about motocarrera. what tires do you usually run? i think i am going to stay with dunlops just so i can use tire paint on them (dirt track tires have yellow paint on the "dunlop" and though its a "cafe" bike...its also going to be in king kenny colors) but i didnt know what size you were using and all. thanks again

I would have to ck

Be honest I dont even look at that stuff right now.

I hardley open up the garage door anymore for the 2 510s and 3 bikes.

My 521 and Cherokee(rarely) is all I drive right now in the winter.

Be honest Driving datsuns is getting old!!!!!!

Small, tite, Cold, bouncy. smelly untill someone says Cool rig then I get all recharged again in the datsun thing

you're just spoiled hainz! there are many people on here like me that only wish i could daily drive my datsun....i'll get it figured out one of these days though. but the RD project is rolling along pretty good, i have a 4 day weekend coming up in a couple of weeks, and should have everything mocked up by then, after that, i just have to wait on paint (and that elusive front fender!)

Cruzn, Thats a nice looking project! Here is my 1975 Honda CB400F. It was not really much of a project. I picked this up from a guy at work for $200. His brother had let it set up in a garage for several years and guess what, the carbs varnished up and he could not get it started. He brought it to his brother to work on and it sat in his garage for 3 years and he only got it to run on 2 cyl. He works with me and he was devoting his time on a 1966 Harley Davidson project. He sold it to me for 200 bucks and I went and got it after work, hauled it home in my Datsun, pulled the carb assy. off that evening and unplugged the jets with a small tip cleaner and rode it to work the next day! Boy was he surprised!!!. Keep us posted on the restoration. Hey, I've got a nice front fender (chrome) in the attic if you're interested. It's an extra for the CB400F. If you want I'll post some pics and if it will fit and you need it I'll send it to you for FREE (you pay shipping, of course). Dan

1975 CB400F

101_0127.jpg

alright...another update...see guys, i do actually accomplish things! I went to the shop and ordered my tires (they were in stock, not the ones i wanted, but they were on closeout...new rubber for $96...I WIN!!) tubes, grips and chain. the bars and tail light i need are ending on ebay this week. today i stood at the parts washer for 4 hours and my hands are bright red to prove it. i worked on cleaning up the motor all afternoon. it was MUCH filthier than i had originally thought, but it was cleaning up well. i started taking down the top end so i could prep the jug, head, and side covers for paint, but ran out of time and had to tend to dotty for a little while. all of my parts should be in this week, i have a 4 day weekend...so i'll try to remember my camera and actually take pics! im going to wait on the front fender, i'll get around to that later. i just can't wait to hear that 2 stroke sound!!!

Alright, won the tail light and bars on ebay this morning. hopefully im dealing with quick shippers so they will be here on time. I'm pretty pumped up about my big weekend, going to go friday and get my paint, sand paper, tape and oil for the bike. since im painting the rims, i figured i would wait to install the tires and tubes, so i won't get to ride it till the bike it actually "done" but i will start it up for sure if everything goes right during my long weekend!!