1976 Yamaha RD400 Restoration Project

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

alright, forgot the camera once again, but i will at least WRITE the update. after ice storms, business trips and another snow storm, i FINALLY made it down to the shop today to make some progress. I put the swing arm on the frame, complete with my new brass bushings (replaced the stock, flexible plastic bushings) installed the new shocks and then turned my attention to painting. I got the lower fork legs cleaned up, primed and painted (black) also got the triple trees done and the battery box. Tomorrow i am going to sand out some runs that i created (nobody is perfect!) and hopefully get the pipes stripped and painted before i have to call it quits. Next week i am hoping to have the motor together and painted and in the frame, then i can focus on some fab and custom wiring work i have to do on the bike. right now i am shooting for having it together before the end of april...but we'll see. the more i get in a hurry, the less nice the bike will be, so im trying to keep myself from rushing it along. pics will be up if i can remember the cam!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys...i have a few pics this time! I got a LOT done this weekend. I got the wheels assembled with tires and tubes mounted (no pics of that...sorry) and i got the pipes stripped and sitting in primer (ran out of paint) the jugs and heads are painted, triple trees are installed and handlebars are mounted. This pic is from when i showed up at the shop saturday morning

20080315image0001ze1.jpg

and this is me being a normal goon

20080315image0002ws7.jpg

Latest update...i got the exhaust packed and painted, the motor is together, though i still have some more detailing to do on the cases before it goes in the frame. i spent most of the weekend working on my s-10, so i didnt get a whole lot done. right now im waiting on my cousin to glass bead a bunch of parts before i start putting anything else on...but here are the update pics!

I decided against painting the wheels after i thought they looked too cool blasted. then i whipped out the tire pen on them

20080322image0006zz9.jpg

My Pipes

20080322image0008ve7.jpg

Motor

20080322image0009zg4.jpg

Another shot of the motor

20080322image0010lv1.jpg

ITS A ROLLER!!! we got enough stuff on it this weekend to push it around the shop! the forks are now rebuilt, and i finished cleaning up the motor today. this week my cousin is going to get the carbs back together and get the brakes on it i think. I have the engine covers all painted up and ready to go back on. We also mounted the steering stabilizer. Here's the pics!

20080329image0001ev4.jpg

20080329image0002mb2.jpg

20080329image0003he0.jpg