Mad Cow goes brap brap!!!

After messing with this J13 and knowing theres no way of making it faster and playing around with a ka24e, i came across the deal of deals. while doing some researching for my buddy, i saw some dattos with rotary motors and was hooked. found 2 running motors but at pickup i found out one had blown so i ended up taking the ugliest car but had the best motor. so here we go again! Mad Cow goes rotary power. its a 12a from an 82 rx7. the car even had working a/c so i took it out. hopefully i can make it fit the truck. wish me luck. one thing is for sure, these motors are the easiest things to work with!

DSC02891.jpg

in the donor car...

DSC02897.jpg

setting up for the heart transplant...

DSC02900.jpg

on its way out...

DSC02902.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02905.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

out of the car... about 3 hours and that was working alone. still has all the emissions crap on but soon will be all out!!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool Drastic! Are these motors really that easy to work on? There is a 74 Mazda REPU truck with a 13A and some sort of air dam sticking out of the hood for sale by me. But I wondered how hard rotaries were to work on asI've not researched it, and I am still learning L motors! I've read the REPU's were the fastest minitrucks.

It is a sweet lil rig!

REPUinMA.jpg[/img]

man thats one RARE truck! they came with a 13b. the motors are super simple but can get expensive when rebuild time comes. but reliability is great. a few of my friends have always had them in their cars. few toyota starlets and dattos too. hey how much they want for that truck? bet you havent seen any at the truck shows huh???? last one i saw was for sale here in fl and it was 10k.

You don't even want to know ow much this thing is, Only $1800! It is killing me not to go get it, but christmas drained the coffers, and the wife doesn't think we need more than one truck. AAAARGH!

I am even trying to talk my Dad into it for himself. But of course, being the great son I am, I can store it here if he wants!!

Alas I fear yet another cool vehicle is going to slip through my fingers...

holy crap thats a steal!!!! get me his info. i know someone thats been lookin for it....

Drastic I just wrote the guy to see if he still has it. I hate to give up on this one, so I may try to work a trade. If it is a no-go and he still has it I will gladly pass on the info!

I wouldnt want to work on one, lol. As far as reliabilit, not sure. I have only heard bad things about rotary reliability. They burn oil by design, and dont last as long from what I have heard, I've never owned one though. Not a runner anyway. I had a mazda 929 I was going to transplant a 13b into, but ran out of funding so I sold the car and engine.

They are pretty fun to drive though, revs through the roof!!

Well it's not like you will be using it to commute everyday in peak hour is it? Rotaries have come a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way over the years. There's a couple of 720s around here with 13BT conversions. Go like stink, but can't pull a load worth a damm I heard.

There used to be a 1964 L320 in the North LA areas that had a 13b with 5spd and the stock 320 gears and brakes, with the Top made into a convertible hard top. It was extremely fast, but did not stop as well, needed beebani's disc kit... The L320 was smaller and lighter than the 520, but my 66 L520 was decently quick with 3.89 gears and a hopped up J-13, but it was just my daily driver, needed reliability...

Good luck on the swap, it will definitely fit, but you will want discs, and you may want to get some training on repairing rotaries, as there are not many rotary shops out there any more.

Good Luck, Garry K in Kodiak, AK

84841.jpg

f2d41.jpg

My Baby!!!

ManchesterPark020.jpg

oh yeah stopping will be an issue. thats my next mission. i will be using his brackets for sure. i already bought the rotors needed. i think i saw the brackets on ebay but not sure if they were his. my buddy is also doing the rotary swap on his 320 so we will be havin some fun out there in the streets. i have someone in the family who has lots of knowledge on the rotaries since hes been building them for street/strip all his life. only reason why i did it cuz you are right about there not being many mechs out there. by the way the excursion is TIGHT!!!!!!!

here is a bit of an update. the rotary has been stripped of all emissions junk and removed stock intake, carb and exhaust manifold. just waiting for my racing beat stuff to come in.

DSC02912.jpg

DSC02913.jpg

also started the removal of the J13. UP FOR SALE!!!!

DSC02917.jpg

DSC02918.jpg

DSC02931.jpg

DSC02932.jpg

DSC02937.jpg

GONE!!!!!!!

DSC02946.jpg

here they are side by side. almost the same size. the rotary block is shorter but the tranny is longer by 2 or 3 inches. little mods needed to make it fit i think.

DSC02941.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

DSC02939.jpg

more to come soon!!!!!

Lookin good on the 520! I miss being able to work on my Datsun's, so all I get to work on these days in the Excursion. Had to temporarily leave my Datsuns in WA state, since my retirement from the Navy and move to Kodiak Alaska.

Thanks for the comments on the Excursion, it has the Harley edition grill and headlights with F-350 springs and leveling kit (Approximately 3.5 inches of over all lift) Much better ride, and 33x13x20 rims and tires (for the summer of course) For the winter I am running 33x10x16's on the stock rims studded, as it is only in the teens for highs right now, but very sunny, just very cold. I miss the days in Sunny San Diego where one of the pics of my 66 520 was taken, alot easier to work on cars outside!!

Keep up on the project pictures, as it keeps me wanting to move up the 520 and the two NL320's... Just need a garage now....

Garry K in Frigid Kodiak AK

2005 Excursion

2003 Acura MDX

1966 L520 J-13ss

1964 NL320 Monster Datsun project 4x4 on 35" Muds

1963 NL320 Restoration Project J-13 w/ column shift 4 spd

1948 Chevy 5 window PU stock restored

1948 Allis Chalmers model G Tractor 62ci flathead 4cyl

1932 Ford model B awaiting restoration...