Mad Cow goes brap brap!!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Drastic! Give yourself a back pack. Alot of folks (like me) would have started that but who knows when I would've gotten around to actually hearing it run. Way to follow through!

thanks fisch! im trying to work on it at least 2 to 3 hrs a day on it cuz if not itll sit there for ever. and im trying to make it to spring fling here in fl in march. hey im looking at the drawing on your sig. i actually came across one of them for sale on craigslist a few weeks ago. somewhere up north.

hey im looking at the drawing on your sig. i actually came across one of them for sale on craigslist a few weeks ago. somewhere up north.

A 411 wagon? Sweet! Rare find indeed on the right coast. I just found about a 69 510 wagon that is all apart and waiting for paint near me. It is the first 510 I seen in a tri state area in a year of surfing.

Price is steep for something in pieces, $1000:eek: but I have yet to see pictures so who knows.

BTW I contacted that guy about the REPU and he never got back to me so I just assumed it has sold.

• 1 month later...

its just one single bar that goes across the front of the motor. i used 2.5 inch flat stock acroos the front and drilled the mounting holes to it. then i used angle iron on the frame and drilled holes on it and used a rubber spacer to keep vibrations to a min. ill post up pics when i get my motor back in a few weeks. its getting rebuilt and ported out. a small leak just caused me $1400 worth of parts and labor. one to grow on i guess. in the meantime, i just finished my rhd conversion.... all thats left is to mount up the master cylinders and swith a brake line.

I have some friends who are real rotary nuts in my area, 13b peripheral port 55mm carbs . They are pretty cool, but the powerband reminds me of my old(back in the day) RZ 350 with aftermarket head, reeds, pipes and slidebore carbs really peaky two stroke type power with very little torque.

a small leak just caused me $1400 worth of parts and labor. one to grow on i guess.

Oh man I am sorry to hear that Drastic! I have heard they can be expensive to work on.

So cool you went RHD. Love to see that pics of that!

yeah man the parts are a killer. and the seals are crazy. and on top of that, you gotta make sure you get it to a rotary guy. not everyone works on these things and trust me they charge for that!!!!. i finally did thr rhd. it was actually not too bad. ill try n post some pics. they not too great but itll show the work a bit. i used the 720 column and box. stripped the column of everything and put on all the stuff from the original 520 on it. the only challenge was the idler arm and i cut them and weld it to make it work. the shaft of the 520 is smaller than the 720.

ok so heres a lil update. been trying to keep busy while the motor is being worked. did the rhd on it and also raised the tranny hump 2 inches for better clearance. used all the steering components from a 720. stripped the 720 column and used all the 520 parts on it. worked like a charm....

column in place

DSC03143.jpg

a lil surgery to use the 520 arm and the 720 shaft. 720 is bigger

DSC03144.jpg

working the floors. big diff after the insulation.

DSC03130.jpg

all in place

DSC03148.jpg

c notch

DSC03129.jpg

bridge

DSC03128.jpg

my toys!!!!!!!!

DSC03127.jpg

a lil surgery to use the 520 arm and the 720 shaft. 720 is bigger

DSC03144.jpg

I would wrap that with some 3/4" or so X 1/4" strap a couple few inches past the existing weld joint to feel at my minimum safeness. Like a U around the splines.

:mellow:

Otherwise looks good. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...