Jet Block Washing?

Logical1

Hey, So I have been planning a nice engine build for quite some time now. (high comp,Custom L20b) I just stripped & cleaned my L20b block the best I could but have been told/read up on "hot" tanking the block to fully clean/clear it out. My friendly local machine shop (Everett, Wa.) said that "hot tanking" is no longer done do to EPA regulations. They talked about a 'Jet Wash' That was comparable. I'm wondering if it is really any better than taking it down to my local car wash and hand pressure washing it out. It only cost $40 at the machine shop and I'm sure they would do a good job but I'm not looking to dish out money when I could do the work myself. NE1 have experience with 'Jet washing' ?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, So I have been planning a nice engine build for quite some time now. (high comp,Custom L20b) I just stripped & cleaned my L20b block the best I could but have been told/read up on "hot" tanking the block to fully clean/clear it out. My friendly local machine shop (Everett, Wa.) said that "hot tanking" is no longer done do to EPA regulations. They talked about a 'Jet Wash' That was comparable. I'm wondering if it is really any better than taking it down to my local car wash and hand pressure washing it out. It only cost $40 at the machine shop and I'm sure they would do a good job but I'm not looking to dish out money when I could do the work myself. NE1 have experience with 'Jet washing' ?

hose it out and then use a die grinder and smooth out all the sand cast surface. :-) that will get it clean.

Get a steel container large enough to submerge the block, small enough that you don't need to make more of the cleaning solution than you need. A cut down steel drum, a cheap hot plate from goodwill, fill with hot water (and block), using all possible protection carefully add caustic lye solution (several cans of Drano) let sit over night. Lye will EAT ALUMINUM!!! so only cast iron block.

Rent, hell borrow the neighbor's power washer and goggles and clean in the driveway. Use several kinds and sizes of wire brushes and 'green' solvents.

Just find someone with a steam cabinet. Basically a pressure washer with a rotisserie and lots of jets of hot water/cleaning solution. Works just fine. Prior to that, get a washtub and use soap and water. Scrub it down. Use the steam wash for the interior parts that are harder to clean. A hot tank and lye really shouldn't be needed.

Guess I'm more green than I thought! :)

Before I sold the CUDA upright parts washer I stuck my L28 block in it. Just had to make sure to rinse the cleaning solution off afterward and blow out all the oil and water passages with compressed air. It came out absolutely spotless, no more caked on grunge outside and no more gelatinous antifreeze residue behind the core plug holes.

Wish I had had the space to hold on to that machine. It came in handy for cleaning just about anything.450857.jpg

I've got an old type twin tub washing machine. I fill it with hot water and a mixture of engine cleaner and detergent. Put a strip of timber across the top and tie the head to it. Run the machine on slow for a few hours. I clean blocks in a galvanised tub filled with hot water and detergent, placed over a gas cooker outside - leave the block in it for a few hours, then blast with a pressure washer. Also use a paraffin gun attached to a compressor.