1971 510 Blue 4 door w/ KA24DE

gorillabear

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone, I'll work on getting some video of it.

I did indeed buy it off Craigslist for a smoking deal. I overnighted the seller a cashiers check before even seeing the car. At that price I knew it would go quick so I figured even if it was rough I'd be OK. I lucked out and the seller was a good guy and the car was exactly as described. The main issues were the wiring, lack of gauges and an overheating problem (at least here in AZ).

Coilovers are in the plans but not in the budget for the time being. Next on the list is getting the speedo and the 510 tach installed and working.

So far I have added carpet, made and installed kick panels, replaced the radiator and fan setup, and rebuilt the air intake. I also cleaned up some of the wiring mess but it still needs work. On the bright side it passed emissions without any issues. :D

I also want to thank Ryan (yellowdatsun) for all his help. I probably would have sold the car already without it haha!

Here are a couple updated photos

enginetoday.jpg

kick2.jpg

Do you still have the valve cover breather tied into the intake tube? It looks like you have a filter on the valve cover in the earlier pic. The valve cover needs to be tied into the intake tube, as it is meant to be a closed system. Otherwise, you are sucking in air through the breather, then up through the pcv and into the engine, with out that air being measured by the Mass Air Flow. That is what is known as Unmetered Air. The engine will see the air with the O2, but not with the MAF, and will attempt to correct rich because of it.

• 1 month later...

what radiator is that?

Custom unit I found through an Ebay seller, supposedly for a CA18. His Ebay name is roc_ilan but I'm not sure if he has any more.

I dig the blue on the door pillar, any idea what the paint code for that is? Doesn't look stock

No idea but I would guess it's stock, it looks original to me.

Do you still have the valve cover breather tied into the intake tube? It looks like you have a filter on the valve cover in the earlier pic. The valve cover needs to be tied into the intake tube, as it is meant to be a closed system. Otherwise, you are sucking in air through the breather, then up through the pcv and into the engine, with out that air being measured by the Mass Air Flow. That is what is known as Unmetered Air. The engine will see the air with the O2, but not with the MAF, and will attempt to correct rich because of it.

Thanks for the info. Fixed this issue and the car immediately started idling and running better.