Differences between the 520 and the 521?

Roger

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 66 L520, single headlight version. I've always wondered if the front windshield was the same as an L521 or different, possibly not as wide? Mine has a nice big crack travelling through it vertically for the past 15 years or so. I need to get it replaced.

I have a 66 L520, single headlight version. I've always wondered if the front windshield was the same as an L521 or different, possibly not as wide? Mine has a nice big crack travelling through it vertically for the past 15 years or so. I need to get it replaced.

This is a good question, when you have it fixed tell us if it is differant, I have been told the 66 is differant, and then other people tell me it isn't differant, i have 66 also, but it's not a driver yet, so I have not fixed the windshield yet.

Different part numbers, no interchange

Windshield Oct 1967 up

Windshield To Sep 1967 J13 T-series

Hollander also says no interchange, but adds that some early 521s came with the J13 and use the same parts as a 520. Sounds like Nissan just called them 521s, maybe to push sales of the old model.

• 5 months later...

There are differences in the doors.

This is a 521 cab and door.

521Door.jpg

This is a 520 door on a 521 cab. It fit really good until i put the catch back in the door.

520Door.jpg

Notice the catch on the 520 door is a little bit lower than the catch on the 521 door. It will not line up with the striker plate on the 521 cab.

There are differences in the doors.

This is a 521 cab and door.

521Door.jpg

This is a 520 door on a 521 cab. It fit really good until i put the catch back in the door.

520Door.jpg

Notice the catch on the 520 door is a little bit lower than the catch on the 521 door. It will not line up with the striker plate on the 521 cab.

The striker plates are also differant, the location of the catch/lock is in a slightly differant location also, so early 520 doors don't interchange with later 521 doors/cabs, and viceversa, I think it depends on the years involved. The cabs/doors are just differant, even though on the outside they look the same.

I found that out. I have a 520 door, and I need a 521 door.

I am not ready to commit to removing the good door skin off the 520 door, and putting it on a 521 door frame. R maybe it would be easier to cut the inside part of the door off the 520 door, and weld in the inside part of the 521 door.

Does somebody have a 521 door they want to trade for a 520 door?

I found that out. I have a 520 door, and I need a 521 door.

I am not ready to commit to removing the good door skin off the 520 door, and putting it on a 521 door frame. R maybe it would be easier to cut the inside part of the door off the 520 door, and weld in the inside part of the 521 door.

Does somebody have a 521 door they want to trade for a 520 door?

I have 521 doors, lots of doors, don't know if any are good 521 doors, will have to look, you need just the pass. door? I am sure there is something good out there, just hope the outside is good also. How soon you need the door/doors?

I actually has an extra drivers side door, and I am 99% sure it is a 521 door.

I just need a passenger side (right) door.

I have noticed there are three different doors used on the 521 trucks I have,

Doors with a knob, at the rear of the door, that you can pull up to unlock the door, and push down to lock the door. This knob is in a bump in the rear of the door.

I have 521 doors that have the bump for this knob, but no knob.

I have 521 doors that do not have this bump.

Maybe later I will try to correlate door types, and the serial number, or build date.

• Thanks 1

I'll see if I can add my 2 cents in here......

The core supports are not only different, but they are several inches closer to the firewall....that's why it's so tight to fit an L series in them. Welder and sawzall means anything can fit :)

I've laid a 521 window on top of a 520 window and they looked the same to me. I'm pretty sure Datsunaholic came to the same conclusion too. We went through this years ago and I'm pretty sure the guy arguing they were different was in Australia.....it was more than a few years ago, so I'm not 100% on this.

Doors......The '68,'69 and early '70 521's had no pull knob, but the early '70's had the bump for it.

Keep in mind as you're dating these rigs....they got a year stamp when they were sold....not when they were made. So, a late '69, sold in '70 would show up as a '70. Heck, back in those days, They could have had a floor model that came in early in the year, but didn't leave until the very end or beginning of the next.....pretty rare though.

• 1 year later...
yeah, that would be a 71 72 521 door. 520s and 68-70 521s didnt have a plunger for the door lock.

I thought the 521 door wouldn't bolt up to a 520 cab because the hinges and striker were in difference place.

The hinges are the same.  The striker plate is not.

This is a 521 cab with a 520 door, It was a very nice door, and I had the hinges adjusted to fit the cab very well, with out the striker plate in the door, because I did not want it to interfere with the door fit.

520Door.jpg

A 521 door.

521Door.jpg

In the background is the right 520 door back to back with a left 521 door.

They make minor changes on the 521 truck, it is very possible they made minor changes on the 520.   A "late" 520 could have had the door striker plate moved.   There are 520 trucks with two headlights, and 520 trucks with four headlights.   I think 520 truck also changed from a sloping down hood to the more flat 521 style  hood, sometime in the model run, but I am not sure.